The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was "Linear" really that terrible? I remember being somewhat intrigued prior to the album's release, but never got around to checking it out.

If you don't go into it thinking you're going to see a movie (or even a bunch of narrative music videos), then it's pretty cool. Some segments work better than others, but there are some interesting visual complements, and there is a throughline with the journey of the motorcycle cop. It's meant to be experienced just like putting on the album, but with window dressing. That's it.

Yeah, Linedrive was awful.

See, if the Lips tried to do a similar project, it would probably be cool.

If you don't go into it thinking you're going to see a movie (or even a bunch of narrative music videos), then it's pretty cool. Some segments work better than others, but there are some interesting visual complements, and there is a throughline with the journey of the motorcycle cop. It's meant to be experienced just like putting on the album, but with window dressing. That's it.

Hmm.

Hmmm.

Fucking Best Buy!! Their computer said they had 30 in stock, and they couldn't find them anywhere. I didn't even get there until after 1pm. What kind of fucking store doesn't have their New Releases sorted out before they open on Tuesday?

I'd go to Target but they're charging like $5 more.

Assholes.

Wow, I definitely need a few more listens. That was a lot to take in just now. The album gets off to a great start, keeps up that heavy atmosphere throughout. The drums sound consistently kickass on the thing. It works well as a whole piece, definitely (there are a lot of specific sounds and ideas repeated throughout multiple tracks)...with a handful of standout individual songs. I just need to hear it some more.

So, yeah. I'm not going to reach a final judgment yet.

Except I will say that I already like it better than Mystics. The artwork for the thing is awesome, too.

So apparently that $16.99 version is 2CD+DVD, which apparently is just the reg. album spread over 2 discs, plus another disc of DVD audio. Also there's a 24-page hardcover book.

Not bad, but not worth over 2x the price of the single.

Picked this up at Best Buy tonight, and it was indeed $7.99. Quite the steal for one of 2009's heaviest, trippiest, most fascinating records.

Not the best for driving, though considerably better at night, and Silver Trembling Hands is a great song for any purpose.

Smoking is commencing now, and the album will begin soon enough after. I'm sure I'll have something to say when it's finished...

Yeah, that was pretty allsome. Can't wait to see them again.

And I still didn't get around to listening to the album today. Hmm.

Well, they just KILLED it, on Conan. And I mean that in a good way. SFA shout-out, via the CYMRU shirt...?

I'll have to watch that performance then. And, yep, it was, I'm sure. Kliph, their tour drummer, is a HUGE SFA fan. I believe he's repeatedly called them his favorite band.

I'm in love.

Me too, me too.

Okay, so initial thoughts: FUCK YEAH! I'm glad I waited until the nighttime to listen to it, since it's so fucking dark. I love that about it. It's quite the shift for the band, I think. Also, one thing I noticed as I was listening and kind of went off theorizing about was the counting off and having Wayne's chuckles in there on a good proportion of the songs. So, one of IYS' complaints was that it was just noodling (which I can understand, especially if you're not a Lips fan); however, if you listen, the songs that are more typically structured ("Silver Trembling Hands," "The Impulse," "Convinced of the Hex," etc.), those actually don't include those moments, while the others do, making me think that perhaps they wanted us to know they were just in the studio fucking around, you know? Those types of moments on record aren't usually kept, unless for a reason. Anyway, just a thought.

Laz, check this out, if you're interested:

Myspace Secret Show in Hollywood, CA

On October 15, for one day only in Los Angeles, THE FLAMING LIPS POP-UP STORE will open at the
Nike / Ricardo Montalban Theater located at 1615 Vine St. in Hollywood 90028.

Not only will fans have the opportunity to get their hands on unique artifacts available on this day and location only, but the The Flaming Lips have planned a very special, intimate Myspace Secret Show! This might be the only opportunity to see the band in a minimal space ever again. Get your furry freak on for this one-time-only psychedelic Hollywood happening. You won’t get the change to see the Lips live again until 2010!

Tickets for the event will be made available on a first come, first served basis at the opening on October 15th. Additional tickets will be available at Amoeba Records Los Angeles with the purchase of Embryonic on street date, October 13th. KCRW 89.9 FM and the LA Weekly will also participate in ticket give-a-ways so pay close attention.

Ticket holders are not guaranteed seating. All ticket holders will need to be in the venue by 7:30 PM. Theater doors will be open 6:30 PM.

The pop-up store will house limited edition merchandise, CD’s and much more. Among the exclusive goodies will be the special “Furry Package,” currently available at www.flaminglips.com. Fans are advised not to hesitate to avoid disappointment, depression, and unwanted bad vibes. Do what you must to be part of this event.

Venue: The Flaming Lips Pop-Up Store (The Nike Theater)
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009
Additional info: myspace.com/secretshows

While I did find their performance extremely enjoyable, I thought Wayne's voice sounded awful.

While I did find their performance extremely enjoyable, I thought Wayne's voice sounded awful.

Is that different than normal? :wink: I mean, I'm a huge Lips fan, but his voice has never been good and has only gotten worse with age, I think.

Thanks, I read about this in our alt weekly paper. Would be cool, but I don't have the energy to compete with all the idiots trying to get into this thing.

I've seen them enough times to be okay with missing this.

Yeah, I wouldn't either, as I've seen them a few times too. I'm sure it'll be insanity trying to get into it. Just thought I'd pass it on in case.

Well I'm thinking of driving out to another Best Buy, hoping they have their shit together so I can get Embryonic. It's over 10 miles away though, so I'll probably stop at the $2 theatre on the way back and make the trip worth it. That new Mike Judge film is playing.

DOUBLE WIN.

Also:

THE F'LIPS!

Well I'm thinking of driving out to another Best Buy, hoping they have their shit together so I can get Embryonic. It's over 10 miles away though, so I'll probably stop at the $2 theatre on the way back and make the trip worth it. That new Mike Judge film is playing.

DOUBLE WIN.

Also:

THE F'LIPS!

I still can't believe that the one you went to yesterday didn't have their new releases out at 1pm. That's the film with Jason Bateman and Ben Affleck, right?

Yeah, that's the one.

Funny thing is, I've had New Release problems with Best Buy many times, including movies and music. Unless it's something MAJOR like Shuttlecock or Star Wars, I tend to walk in with trepidation every time that I'm actually going to find what I'm looking for.

Also, their music section seems to be shrinking rapidly. I overheard the clerk telling some dude who was looking for Ryan Adams that they don't carry his stuff anymore.

I listened to a bunch of this album at like 4 AM last night. It truly is a brilliant night record, one of their very best for that purpose. Creepy as hell.

The progression from Christmas On Mars to Embryonic that critics have been taking note of is something I find fascinating, and I feel this particular sci-fi fixation the band has taken on extends back as far as Yoshimi. The Flaming Lips are still trying to communicate those topics and conjure up those same locales through the music, albeit with a wearier, less innocent bent. I don't believe Embryonic is a new chapter for the band, as Pitchfork made it out to be. It certainly sounds different from any proper album the band has released, but context makes it clear this album is not inexplicable. However, what makes the album great is that, in spite of its creativity and bluster, Embryonic is nearly as emotionally exhausting as Yoshimi. It has a heart, and that's why this album will be remembered as something more than a reclaiming of their strangeness years down the line.

Yeah, that's the one.

Funny thing is, I've had New Release problems with Best Buy many times, including movies and music. Unless it's something MAJOR like Shuttlecock or Star Wars, I tend to walk in with trepidation every time that I'm actually going to find what I'm looking for.

Also, their music section seems to be shrinking rapidly. I overheard the clerk telling some dude who was looking for Ryan Adams that they don't carry his stuff anymore.

Cool, the trailers for it looked pretty funny.

This is why I can't make myself go to Best Buy anymore. I've had a lot of the same issues, actually.

Wow, that's depressing, really.

I listened to a bunch of this album at like 4 AM last night. It truly is a brilliant night record, one of their very best for that purpose. Creepy as hell.

The progression from Christmas On Mars to Embryonic that critics have been taking note of is something I find fascinating, and I feel this particular sci-fi fixation the band has taken on extends back as far as Yoshimi. The Flaming Lips are still trying to communicate those topics and conjure up those same locales through the music, albeit with a wearier, less innocent bent. I don't believe Embryonic is a new chapter for the band, as Pitchfork made it out to be. It certainly sounds different from any proper album the band has released, but context makes it clear this album is not inexplicable. However, what makes the album great is that, in spite of its creativity and bluster, Embryonic is nearly as emotionally exhausting as Yoshimi. It has a heart, and that's why this album will be remembered as something more than a reclaiming of their strangeness years down the line.

I definitely think this is a logical progression from Christmas on Mars, and the actual sound of the music is pretty similar, albeit with more rock elements and less of a soundtrack sound. The subject matter is also similar to Yoshimi, but like you said, they're doing it in a much darker manner than previously. I'm personally fascinated by the progression.

I'm sure most retail stores that carry music will continue downsizing the music sections, and music stores in general will close up quite a bit over the next decade. No one buys the music they listen to any more, and it's not in a store's interest business wise to try to sell a dead medium. We have no one to blame but ourselves, the supposed "music fans" who only buy 1 in 30 albums we listen to regularly, and some how think that and going to a concert here and there is fair to the artists and labels putting their music out.

Having heard Embryonic a number of times since last month, I'm confident enough to give it a tentative ranking:

1. Transmissions From The Satellite Heart (A+)
2. Clouds Taste Metallic (A)
3. The Soft Bulletin (A)
4. Embryonic (A-)
5. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (A-)
6. At War With The Mystics (B+)
7. Zaireeka (B)
8. In A Priest Driven Ambulance (B)
9. Hit To Death In The Future Head (B-)

Don't know Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd, and Telepathic Surgery well enough to rank them.

Back
Top Bottom