The Edge vs Lerxst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a joke? Rush have headlined arenas for 30 YEARS.

Compared with other bands- they still aren't that big. Look at all the other acts that have done and still do the same thing- The Who, Bowie, Metallica, McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, U2, Pink Floyd/ Solo David Gilmour or Solo Roger Waters (I think Gilmour is better), AC/DC, Clapton, Tom Petty, The Allman Bros, Aerosmith... The list goes on.

They may play arenas but honestly so do a lot of bands. I base their popularity on album sales and airplay. Which they have never had much of. I worked at 3 different records stores over 5 years and sold.... I think one used copy of 2112 and a DVD and maybe 3 copies of 'Snakes and Arrows' vs. All of U2's albums and DVDs (Even Pop and October) at least a few times over. And about 30 of 'HTDAAB' when it came out. And as far as airplay goes- They play 'Tom Sawyer' once a blue moon, or their new singles a few times when it's released and then it fizzles away.

Not that Rush isn't a talented band that used to be pretty relevant in the 80s, but there are many more popular bands in the US. My Canadian English professor says they were HUGE in Canada though.

Oh man! These threads should not be moved here. They are more suitable for the crapfest that is EYKIW.

Compared with other bands- they still aren't that big. Look at all the other acts that have done and still do the same thing- The Who, Bowie, Metallica, McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, U2, Pink Floyd/ Solo David Gilmour or Solo Roger Waters (I think Gilmour is better), AC/DC, Clapton, Tom Petty, The Allman Bros, Aerosmith... The list goes on.

That doesn't detract from the FACT that Rush ARE a big band.

Btw, Gilmour and The Allman Brothers are NOT larger draws than Rush.

I base their popularity on album sales and airplay. Which they have never had much of.

They've sold about 50 million albums worldwide. :lol:

I worked at 3 different records stores over 5 years and sold.... I think one used copy of 2112 and a DVD and maybe 3 copies of 'Snakes and Arrows' vs. All of U2's albums and DVDs (Even Pop and October) at least a few times over. And about 30 of 'HTDAAB' when it came out. And as far as airplay goes- They play 'Tom Sawyer' once a blue moon, or their new singles a few times when it's released and then it fizzles away.

That doesn't hold a candle in this debate.

Not that Rush isn't a talented band that used to be pretty relevant in the 80s, but there are many more popular bands in the US. My Canadian English professor says they were HUGE in Canada though.

This doesn't either...

if you're so interested in the best musicians etc you should be listening to Frank Zappa instead of Rush
try "Buffalo" on for size:
Frank Zappa: Lead Guitar & Vocals
Steve Vai: Stunt Guitar & Background Vocals
Ray White: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Ike Willis: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Tommy Mars: Keyboards & Vocals
Bob Harris: Keyboards, Trumpet & High Vocals
Arthur Barrow: Bass & Vocals
Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums, Vocals

Zappa is always recognised as 1 of America's greatest composers!
so everyone should love him!!!!!!!

or not
and I dont particularly care if anyone agrees

reminds me that the frank zappa forum is the only other place I ever see Rush being mentioned
too many idiots at that forum though

Wow. This thread makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Rush song. And I know about technical guitarists and whatnot. I know Edge isn't one. That's what makes him unique and makes his style more noticeable.

if you're so interested in the best musicians etc you should be listening to Frank Zappa instead of Rush
try "Buffalo" on for size:
Frank Zappa: Lead Guitar & Vocals
Steve Vai: Stunt Guitar & Background Vocals
Ray White: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Ike Willis: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Tommy Mars: Keyboards & Vocals
Bob Harris: Keyboards, Trumpet & High Vocals
Arthur Barrow: Bass & Vocals
Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums, Vocals

Zappa is always recognised as 1 of America's greatest composers!
so everyone should love him!!!!!!!

or not
and I dont particularly care if anyone agrees

reminds me that the frank zappa forum is the only other place I ever see Rush being mentioned
too many idiots at that forum though

I'm not even going to touch this one.

Hint...read what my username is titled...

:rolleyes:

That doesn't detract from the FACT that Rush ARE a big band.

Btw, Gilmour and The Allman Brothers are NOT larger draws than Rush.

They've sold about 50 million albums worldwide. :lol:

That doesn't hold a candle in this debate.

This doesn't either...

Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. Rush may have been a "big" band in the late 70's and 80's, but not now. They have their niche and their fanbase, but that's about it. The vast majority of those albums were sold in the 70's and 80's. No one's even listening now but the most hardcore fanbase. Their new albums barely even chart. Both of their releases in the 2000s didn't even attain gold record status in the US, which isn't that difficult for a longstanding act to achieve. They haven't had a platinum record in the US since '91, and before that it was '85. The '00 albums went gold in Canada, but that's not such an amazing feat. I think here to go gold, you have to sell something like 10 records.

They're a bigger draw than the Allmans and Gilmour? The Allmans, yeah, because they're pretty much a classic rock band now. But Gilmour? Let's be honest here. He's put out three solo albums over his career. Of them, one was solid, one was so-so, and his most recent, which went platinum in Canada, is amazing. If you're talking about touring, then yeah, Rush probably outsells him. Why? Because his last tour was a small one, in intimate venues. Btw, tickets for that sold out in about 10 seconds, he easily could have played to 10 times the people he did, if he wanted to. He chose to keep it small. Your comparisons are so off base.

FACT.

Wow. This thread makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Rush song. And I know about technical guitarists and whatnot. I know Edge isn't one. That's what makes him unique and makes his style more noticeable.

yes, agreed. Edge is definitely not technical with his style or technique however he likes them high-tech gadgets..:D

Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. Rush may have been a "big" band in the late 70's and 80's, but not now. They have their niche and their fanbase, but that's about it. The vast majority of those albums were sold in the 70's and 80's. No one's even listening now but the most hardcore fanbase. Their new albums barely even chart. Both of their releases in the 2000s didn't even attain gold record status in the US, which isn't that difficult for a longstanding act to achieve. They haven't had a platinum record in the US since '91, and before that it was '85. The '00 albums went gold in Canada, but that's not such an amazing feat. I think here to go gold, you have to sell something like 10 records.

They're a bigger draw than the Allmans and Gilmour? The Allmans, yeah, because they're pretty much a classic rock band now. But Gilmour? Let's be honest here. He's put out three solo albums over his career. Of them, one was solid, one was so-so, and his most recent, which went platinum in Canada, is amazing. If you're talking about touring, then yeah, Rush probably outsells him. Why? Because his last tour was a small one, in intimate venues. Btw, tickets for that sold out in about 10 seconds, he easily could have played to 10 times the people he did, if he wanted to. He chose to keep it small. Your comparisons are so off base.

VEEP... I :heart: u!

:up:

well said. FTW.

I think he means that Zappa has a song called Moggio.

This surprised me as I thought a moggio was a unit of measurement.

What surprises me is that Frank Zappa wrote a song about a Rush-obsessed-fanboy. ;)

Well, the guy of Rush is by far a better guitarist, at least in terms of technical aspects, which is a very important factor. Personally, I don´t even regard The Edge as super guitarist or anything like that. He was just what a band like U2 needs. I don´t imagine Steve Vai or Becker playing with the irish folks, for example. :D

Besides, I don´t see the sense in comparing Rush to U2, where both were and are totally different, in general. Rush are often underrated by certain people (I have the feeling it has something to do with the fact they are canadian). But the guys have virtually "prototyped" what is often known as "metal progresive" and were a huge influence for groups like Dream Theater and many more. Well, and because I´m a huge Queen fan, I can´t avoid saying they also contributed a lot on that metal genre I´m talking about with their album "Queen 2", released at the same time Rush started their career. I think I should listen more to Rush, I might give them a further chance. :D

But as far technical habilities are concerned few bands (in my opinion) can chalenge Rush (or Yes or King Crimson). But well, there are more important things than tht when it comes to the art or music.

Wow! There are some clever people on this forum after all! :up:
i can tell you do rude better than you do sarcasm

let me put it like this then
if you like zappa so much you call yourself moggio then why waste your time preaching us about rush as if they are the zenith of rock while zappa outscored rush on all the 'objective' elements you mention?
is it perhaps because even though rush are techinically inferior, less innovative and more boring somehow you really love their music?

i can tell you do rude better than you do sarcasm

And you do naviety better than stupidity.

let me put it like this then
if you like zappa so much you call yourself moggio then why waste your time preaching us about rush as if they are the zenith of rock while zappa outscored rush on all the 'objective' elements you mention?

I'm not preaching. I'm just comparing The Edge & Alex Lifeson as guitarists (since that's what this thread is about) and stating some FACTS.

I love Rush to death but FZ is my favourite artist of all time and really is the end all be all. So I totally agree with you - Frank Zappa is the greatest composer the music world has EVER seen.

is it perhaps because even though rush are techinically inferior, less innovative and more boring somehow you really love their music?

Your sarcasm needs sharpening...

I love Rush to death but FZ is my favourite artist of all time and really is the end all be all. So I totally agree with you - Frank Zappa is the greatest composer the music world has EVER seen.

can you hear that?... it's Beethoven, hitting his head on the coffin's top...

well... for you, I'm sure Beethoven's just a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom