The Edge vs Lerxst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, look:

-there are people responding to this thread who have never even HEARD of Alex Lifeson, or even head a Rush song. Try to listen to some tunes and then spread your distaste. BTW. this is a U2 message board....people here are gonna like Rush???

-what are we trying to argue here? Who is "better"? There is no answer to that; it's all in the eye of the beholder. Sure, we could say that "technically" Lifeson is better, but "innovatively" Edge is more renowned.....so what? Both are great in their own ways and both are in bands that MADE THEM AS GUITARISTS AND THEY WOULD NEVER BE KNOWN IF NOT FOR THAT.

-Last EDge On Earth- you had me, then you lost me. I respect and enjoy Rush, and Lifeson in particular, but you come on a U2 forum and pick a fight about who's "better"...what do you expect here??? Everyone to say "LIFESON KICKS EDGE'S ASS!!!!"??????

Please.

As far as listening, maybe people would be better off checking out some Rush than secretly loving the new Coldplay but coming on here and saying "U2 RIPOFF!!!"

Bleh.

Was that band big in America or so? Cause I REALLY have NEVER heard of them. :crack: I still have no clue who we're talking about here.

Was that band big in America or so? Cause I REALLY have NEVER heard of them. :crack: I still have no clue who we're talking about here.

I'd say they are well known in North America. They've been around forever (formed in 68, released their first album in 74) and have sold a bunch of albums. To me they made the kind of music your big brother and his friends liked, but you always found boring as hell. (That example might only work if you grew up in the 60s and 70s though :hmm: )

Here's a link to their Wikipedia entry.

I'd say they are well known in North America. They've been around forever (formed in 68, released their first album in 74) and have sold a bunch of albums. To me they made the kind of music your big brother and his friends liked, but you always found boring as hell. (That example might only work if you grew up in the 60s and 70s though :hmm: )

Here's a link to their Wikipedia entry.

Ah thanks. That explains why I've never heard of them I guess. Around since 68,that's pretty damn impressive!
Everything on the wikipedia article is concerning America mostly, I guess they're pretty big there but they never really crossed the ocean.

Ok I kind of flew off the handle, in defending Leifeson because I think what the outcome of this thread would be before I even posted it. U2 fans don't know or listen to much Rush.

But if you did take the time to get into Rush, you would LOVE it. I think

That's what happened to me. Believe it or not, I didn't care for Rush as a youth because the classic rock station in my town d out the same 6 or 7 songs.

Then I saw a live concert from 80's and was BLOWN AWAY.

For those that want to get their hands dirty on some AWESOME guitar work by Lifeson, check out the following.....

YouTube - Rush - Xanadu 3-22-1994

U2 fans don't know or listen to much Rush.

But if you did take the time to get into Rush, you would LOVE it. I think

It has nothing to do with being U2 fans or not. It's more the fact that NOT all of us live in the USA or Canada. I live in Europe and have never HEARD of that band. I know a lot of bands from the US and such, but I've never heard of this one. It has nothing to do with my U2 fandom.

I listened to that clip. It's not really my thing.

It has nothing to do with being U2 fans or not. It's more the fact that NOT all of us live in the USA or Canada. I live in Europe and have never HEARD of that band. I know a lot of bands from the US and such, but I've never heard of this one. It has nothing to do with my U2 fandom.

I listened to that clip. It's not really my thing.

They are not really big here in the US either. They had a few songs that played on the radio here and there 10-20 years ago but never anything beyond that.

And not anything against you Rush fans-- But I have hated them since I first heard them. I actually compared how bad songs were to Rush growing up.

I used to say things like "Those Backstreet Boys are awful- But not as much as Rush."
..Actually I just did that today talking about Oasis' new album....

I really like some of their guitar parts, but Geddy Lee's voice is just... hurts me and Niel Pert always sounds like he's just trying to show off instead of playing a song. I tried to give them a chance, but I can't do it. And I love some Prog-Rock. But I just can't stand Rush or Yes or bands of that caliber.

VERY talented 3 guys, but awful music to me.

and as far as the guitar question- Edge may not have the virtuosity Rush has, but he has that amazing Tone and guitar parts that are just....:drool:
And what Edge can do with effects is amazing. He makes sounds come out of vibrating strings that are unheard of.

I like that Rush's guy uses a 12 string guitar on occasion though. I have a weakness for 12 strings.

They are not really big here in the US either. They had a few songs that played on the radio here and there 10-20 years ago but never anything beyond that.

And not anything against you Rush fans-- But I have hated them since I first heard them. I actually compared how bad songs were to Rush growing up.

I used to say things like "Those Backstreet Boys are awful- But not as much as Rush."
..Actually I just did that today talking about Oasis' new album....

I really like some of their guitar parts, but Geddy Lee's voice is just... hurts me and Niel Pert always sounds like he's just trying to show off instead of playing a song. I tried to give them a chance, but I can't do it. And I love some Prog-Rock. But I just can't stand Rush or Yes or bands of that caliber.

VERY talented 3 guys, but awful music to me.

and as far as the guitar question- Edge may not have the virtuosity Rush has, but he has that amazing Tone and guitar parts that are just....:drool:
And what Edge can do with effects is amazing. He makes sounds come out of vibrating strings that are unheard of.

I like that Rush's guy uses a 12 string guitar on occasion though. I have a weakness for 12 strings.

You have no business talking Rock when you put BackStreet Boys and Rush in the same sentence, my man. Just sad.

And for the record, Rush is NOT PROG. 2112 was the only thing even close to Prog. They've never been able to shake that label since. Yet every alabum since is total pop and HARD ROCK. They are NOTHING BUT HARD ROCK THESE DAYS.

Just wanted to clear that up.

You have no business talking Rock when you put BackStreet Boys and Rush in the same sentence, my man. Just sad.

And for the record, Rush is NOT PROG. 2112 was the only thing even close to Prog. They've never been able to shake that label since. Yet every alabum since is total pop and HARD ROCK. They are NOTHING BUT HARD ROCK THESE DAYS.

I don't think so. My friend used to listen to Rush a lot. And 'Moving Pictures', 'Permanent Waves' and 'Farewell to kings' are all very prog rock like a lot of their 80s stuff. Their new stuff from 'snakes in barrels' or whatever may be heavier, but they still have their prog-ish sound thrown in here and there. Not all prog rock is bad at all. It's not a bad thing.

Let's just say they are as easily generalized for be prog rock as U2 is always generalized as 'tons of reverb with Bono wailing over it' as my Rush friend calls it. I can see where he is coming from and I can see where you are too.

It's just that with all these Rush threads coming up--- it's so foreign to me that a band I consider laughably awful is compared with a band I consider is up there with the likes of The Beatles, 'Zeppelin, The Who, And the 'Stones.
No they may not be as awful to other people. It's just MY OPINION that they are to music as having a seizure is to dancing.

I don't think so. My friend used to listen to Rush a lot. And 'Moving Pictures', 'Permanent Waves' and 'Farewell to kings' are all very prog rock like a lot of their 80s stuff. Their new stuff from 'snakes in barrels' or whatever may be heavier, but they still have their prog-ish sound thrown in here and there. Not all prog rock is bad at all. It's not a bad thing.

Let's just say they are as easily generalized for be prog rock as U2 is always generalized as 'tons of reverb with Bono wailing over it' as my Rush friend calls it. I can see where he is coming from and I can see where you are too.

It's just that with all these Rush threads coming up--- it's so foreign to me that a band I consider laughably awful is compared with a band I consider is up there with the likes of The Beatles, 'Zeppelin, The Who, And the 'Stones.
No they may not be as awful to other people. It's just MY OPINION that they are to music as having a seizure is to dancing.

it's ALL opinion......

Most things you think about Rush I think about Radiohead for example.....

i prefer say gilmour vs edge..this alex don't make the difference for me, one more virtuose, that is what i can think from the only one concert i ever see.

There are no truer words.

Rush definitely is prog, overall...though they are hard to label. But they arguably may have even started the progressive hard rock genre in the mid 70s. Despite their material from the past twenty or so years not including full-on prog epics like their 70s & early 80s catalogue...Rush still has many progressive elements within its music, no matter how you slice it.

-------------------------------------

As far as the Edge vs. Lerxst debate is concerned...The Edge USED TO BE a very innovative guitarist in the 80s & especially the 90s, but definitely not now - in fact, he's now ripping off his own licks. Whereas, not only is Alex a technically superior guitarist than The Edge is...BY A MILE, Lifeson has continually found new/interesting sounds/textures to present on each and every album...

The answer is obvious.

i notice at least one of these two things usually happens a lot on these forums when someone opens a thread compairing a guitarist or band to U2. in this case:

OMG how DARE YOU even THINK of comparing another guitarist to the edge?!?!?

and/or

I've never heard of alex lifeson or listened to rush therefore edge must be better and i must reply with a snotty message.

:lol:

comparing bands and or musicians in threads here is fucking pointless and never goes anywhere.. Just a complete waste of space IMO. No one is ever going to agree because everyone has a DIFFERENT OPINION... imagine that.:hmm:

I feel sorry for you my poor sheltered little friend.

According to who? YOU?

Doesn't matter. This thread ain't about Rush or U2.

It's about who's the better guitar player...Edge or Lifeson?

If you don't have anyting to add to that topic, BUZZ OFF!

BTW, "your" music stinks.

Funny thing is, I didn't even bother to listen. I know it because you just said Rush has been insignicant since '91, while in fact their last 2 albums have been some of their best work to date.

Who's close-minded now?

How many guitar mags have you read? Just the ones Edge is in? Must be, because you obviously missed the hundreds Lifeson has been featured in.

Your unaware because you only listen to albums like "Boy" and "Achtung Baby".

Once you said, "I have NEVER heard of Lifeson" I lost ALL interest in talking anymore with you. Goodbye. And go HEAR of him. You need it.
i know you already acknowledged your posts, but this is still worth saying. this is an internet forum, comprised of all different kinds of people, but all first and foremost U2 fans. you can't fault people for not having heard of a canadian prog band. and an attitude like that is just simply not acceptable. you cannot just kick people out of your thread because they don't agree with you. and the personal attacks are absolutely not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom