The Edge vs Lerxst - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
The answer is obvious.
Of course it is. And the answer is MWP.

Why?

Because I said so and what I say is the unequivocal TRUTH!

So there. Run along now.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Fun fact: aside from a very small minority, nobody gives a fuck about Rush.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #63
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Fun fact: aside from a very small minority, nobody gives a fuck about Rush.
Fry does. It's how he spent his Saturday nights. Space invaders, soft drink and a Rush "mix (sic) tape".
Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #64
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 AM
False: Tom Verlaine.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #65
The Fly

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Is that a joke? Rush have headlined arenas for 30 YEARS.
Compared with other bands- they still aren't that big. Look at all the other acts that have done and still do the same thing- The Who, Bowie, Metallica, McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, U2, Pink Floyd/ Solo David Gilmour or Solo Roger Waters (I think Gilmour is better), AC/DC, Clapton, Tom Petty, The Allman Bros, Aerosmith... The list goes on.

They may play arenas but honestly so do a lot of bands. I base their popularity on album sales and airplay. Which they have never had much of. I worked at 3 different records stores over 5 years and sold.... I think one used copy of 2112 and a DVD and maybe 3 copies of 'Snakes and Arrows' vs. All of U2's albums and DVDs (Even Pop and October) at least a few times over. And about 30 of 'HTDAAB' when it came out. And as far as airplay goes- They play 'Tom Sawyer' once a blue moon, or their new singles a few times when it's released and then it fizzles away.

Not that Rush isn't a talented band that used to be pretty relevant in the 80s, but there are many more popular bands in the US. My Canadian English professor says they were HUGE in Canada though.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Oh man! These threads should not be moved here. They are more suitable for the crapfest that is EYKIW.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #67
War Child

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaySafeTonight View Post
Compared with other bands- they still aren't that big. Look at all the other acts that have done and still do the same thing- The Who, Bowie, Metallica, McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, U2, Pink Floyd/ Solo David Gilmour or Solo Roger Waters (I think Gilmour is better), AC/DC, Clapton, Tom Petty, The Allman Bros, Aerosmith... The list goes on.
That doesn't detract from the FACT that Rush ARE a big band.

Btw, Gilmour and The Allman Brothers are NOT larger draws than Rush.

Quote:
I base their popularity on album sales and airplay. Which they have never had much of.
They've sold about 50 million albums worldwide.

Quote:
I worked at 3 different records stores over 5 years and sold.... I think one used copy of 2112 and a DVD and maybe 3 copies of 'Snakes and Arrows' vs. All of U2's albums and DVDs (Even Pop and October) at least a few times over. And about 30 of 'HTDAAB' when it came out. And as far as airplay goes- They play 'Tom Sawyer' once a blue moon, or their new singles a few times when it's released and then it fizzles away.
That doesn't hold a candle in this debate.

Quote:
Not that Rush isn't a talented band that used to be pretty relevant in the 80s, but there are many more popular bands in the US. My Canadian English professor says they were HUGE in Canada though.
This doesn't either...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #68
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Of course it is. And the answer is MWP.
And that is?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #69
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:34 AM
if you're so interested in the best musicians etc you should be listening to Frank Zappa instead of Rush
try "Buffalo" on for size:
Frank Zappa: Lead Guitar & Vocals
Steve Vai: Stunt Guitar & Background Vocals
Ray White: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Ike Willis: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Tommy Mars: Keyboards & Vocals
Bob Harris: Keyboards, Trumpet & High Vocals
Arthur Barrow: Bass & Vocals
Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums, Vocals

Zappa is always recognised as 1 of America's greatest composers!
so everyone should love him!!!!!!!

or not
and I dont particularly care if anyone agrees

reminds me that the frank zappa forum is the only other place I ever see Rush being mentioned
too many idiots at that forum though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Wow. This thread makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Rush song. And I know about technical guitarists and whatnot. I know Edge isn't one. That's what makes him unique and makes his style more noticeable.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #71
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
if you're so interested in the best musicians etc you should be listening to Frank Zappa instead of Rush
try "Buffalo" on for size:
Frank Zappa: Lead Guitar & Vocals
Steve Vai: Stunt Guitar & Background Vocals
Ray White: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Ike Willis: Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
Tommy Mars: Keyboards & Vocals
Bob Harris: Keyboards, Trumpet & High Vocals
Arthur Barrow: Bass & Vocals
Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums, Vocals

Zappa is always recognised as 1 of America's greatest composers!
so everyone should love him!!!!!!!

or not
and I dont particularly care if anyone agrees

reminds me that the frank zappa forum is the only other place I ever see Rush being mentioned
too many idiots at that forum though
I'm not even going to touch this one.

Hint...read what my username is titled...

Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
That doesn't detract from the FACT that Rush ARE a big band.

Btw, Gilmour and The Allman Brothers are NOT larger draws than Rush.

They've sold about 50 million albums worldwide.

That doesn't hold a candle in this debate.

This doesn't either...
Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. Rush may have been a "big" band in the late 70's and 80's, but not now. They have their niche and their fanbase, but that's about it. The vast majority of those albums were sold in the 70's and 80's. No one's even listening now but the most hardcore fanbase. Their new albums barely even chart. Both of their releases in the 2000s didn't even attain gold record status in the US, which isn't that difficult for a longstanding act to achieve. They haven't had a platinum record in the US since '91, and before that it was '85. The '00 albums went gold in Canada, but that's not such an amazing feat. I think here to go gold, you have to sell something like 10 records.

They're a bigger draw than the Allmans and Gilmour? The Allmans, yeah, because they're pretty much a classic rock band now. But Gilmour? Let's be honest here. He's put out three solo albums over his career. Of them, one was solid, one was so-so, and his most recent, which went platinum in Canada, is amazing. If you're talking about touring, then yeah, Rush probably outsells him. Why? Because his last tour was a small one, in intimate venues. Btw, tickets for that sold out in about 10 seconds, he easily could have played to 10 times the people he did, if he wanted to. He chose to keep it small. Your comparisons are so off base.

FACT.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Wow. This thread makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Rush song. And I know about technical guitarists and whatnot. I know Edge isn't one. That's what makes him unique and makes his style more noticeable.

yes, agreed. Edge is definitely not technical with his style or technique however he likes them high-tech gadgets..
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. Rush may have been a "big" band in the late 70's and 80's, but not now. They have their niche and their fanbase, but that's about it. The vast majority of those albums were sold in the 70's and 80's. No one's even listening now but the most hardcore fanbase. Their new albums barely even chart. Both of their releases in the 2000s didn't even attain gold record status in the US, which isn't that difficult for a longstanding act to achieve. They haven't had a platinum record in the US since '91, and before that it was '85. The '00 albums went gold in Canada, but that's not such an amazing feat. I think here to go gold, you have to sell something like 10 records.

They're a bigger draw than the Allmans and Gilmour? The Allmans, yeah, because they're pretty much a classic rock band now. But Gilmour? Let's be honest here. He's put out three solo albums over his career. Of them, one was solid, one was so-so, and his most recent, which went platinum in Canada, is amazing. If you're talking about touring, then yeah, Rush probably outsells him. Why? Because his last tour was a small one, in intimate venues. Btw, tickets for that sold out in about 10 seconds, he easily could have played to 10 times the people he did, if he wanted to. He chose to keep it small. Your comparisons are so off base.
VEEP... I u!

well said. FTW.

Tags
alex lifeson, edge, lerxst, rush, the edge, u2