The Edge vs Lerxst - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 07:02 PM
I have NEVER heard of Lifeson before. I have never in my life heard him mentioned as an innovator (apart from by yourself). I cant say i have ever seen him in any guitar magazine for being innovative, yet Edge appears as regular as anyone does. Of he was as important and talented as you say, I am certain i would be aware of him.
I can accept There are certainly better guitarists than Edge out there, they are ten a penny tho....but more important or relevant or pioneering?? Not so plentiful!
__________________

__________________
gman is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 07:02 PM
Doh!
__________________

__________________
gman is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
I have NEVER heard of Lifeson before. I have never in my life heard him mentioned as an innovator (apart from by yourself). I cant say i have ever seen him in any guitar magazine for being innovative, yet Edge appears as regular as anyone does. Of he was as important and talented as you say, I am certain i would be aware of him.
I can accept There are certainly better guitarists than Edge out there, they are ten a penny tho....but more important or relevant or pioneering?? Not so plentiful!
How many guitar mags have you read? Just the ones Edge is in? Must be, because you obviously missed the hundreds Lifeson has been featured in.

Your unaware because you only listen to albums like "Boy" and "Achtung Baby".

Once you said, "I have NEVER heard of Lifeson" I lost ALL interest in talking anymore with you. Goodbye. And go HEAR of him. You need it.
__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,093
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Edge is a historic and legendary influence in the world of guitar and the world of music. there's no contest here.
__________________
discothequeLP is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 07:02 PM
OK folks...i got the measure of LastEdgeOnEarth. You HAVE to agree with him/her/ or they throw their toys out of the pram and get a wee bit aggitated

Ok...on behalf of the whole world....your right....ok?....He is the most important thing to happen to guitar since Leo Fender.......and Gilmour, Hendrix, Page, anyone you care to mention are pish compared to whatshisface...............feel better?
__________________
gman is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #21
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
OK folks...i got the measure of LastEdgeOnEarth. You HAVE to agree with him/her/ or they throw their toys out of the pram and get a wee bit aggitated

Ok...on behalf of the whole world....your right....ok?....He is the most important thing to happen to guitar since Leo Fender.......and Gilmour, Hendrix, Page, anyone you care to mention are pish compared to whatshisface...............feel better?
Agreed with you mate. There's no use argueing. This guy just seemed to have started the topic to stroke his own ego. Pity that we don't all agreed with him right away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I didn't even know who this guy was until you mentioned Peart.

Why do people insist that Rush is ever worth listening to?

I didn't even know who he was then.

I have heard of Rush, and I have heard some of their songs. Never did much for me though. Each to his/her own.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEdgeOnEarth View Post
According to who? YOU?

Doesn't matter. This thread ain't about Rush or U2.

It's about who's the better guitar player...Edge or Lifeson?

If you don't have anyting to add to that topic, BUZZ OFF!
Rush are technically great players, so as far as the technical side, yes he's a better guitarist, but beyond the technical Edge wins by miles.

Rush was once a great band but now it's just Rush by numbers they haven't had any relevance with anyone except their base in a long time.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:02 PM
I've never heard a Rush song.

All I've ever heard about Rush was negative. I think I'll pass.

I'm not going to make a statement like, "I've never heard this guy, but Edge MUST be better!" because that would just be ignorant.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEdgeOnEarth View Post
BTW, "your" music stinks.

Funny thing is, I didn't even bother to listen. I know it because you just said Rush has been insignicant since '91, while in fact their last 2 albums have been some of their best work to date.

Who's close-minded now?
This doesn't even make sense. You start with personal attacks and then go on to say you didn't even bother to listen because I think one band has lost it's relevance.

Calm down, personal attacks because someone doesn't agree one of your favorite bands is relevant anymore is just childish...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,014
Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman View Post
Who the fuck is Lifeson?
I was gonna ask that.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEdgeOnEarth View Post
Weak, gman. Lifeson's sound is A THOUSAND TIMES more distinctive than The Edge's. Maybe not so much on "limelight"(though it is to me- unmistakenbly), but c'mon....Lifeson's riffs are timeless and always recognizable.

Sound innovator has to go to Lifeson, I've concluded. He uses way more guitars and sound processors than The Edge, and could give him a week long clinic in tonality. I hear sounds similar to Edge all over the radio because he's not as hard to mimic. People try to copy Lifeson, but can't even come CLOSE!
I listen to Rush sometimes, and I"m pretty familiar with them. But c'mon...more recognizable than the Edge? And that last sentence, "people try to copy Lifeson, but can't even come CLOSE!" ........if anything, Edge is the harder guitar player to mimic....it's harder to get his sound, and once you do, it's harder to play like the Edge...I think Lifeson can definitely outsolo the Edge as he is a more technical player and "shreds" more than the Edge, but Edge is the far more significant guitar player. This basically comes down to a technical vs. emotional preference. Personally, I'd take Edge anyday. Lifeson gets boring, and to be honest he doesn't really stand out that much at all compared to the Edge. Songs like "Spirit of the Radio"....sure, most people are going to know that's Lifeson the second the song starts...but I could say this for countless U2 songs. Lifeson has his moments of magic, but Edge gives me chills like no other guitar player in the world, past and present. I say Edge.
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,014
Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Edge gives me chills like no other guitar player in the world, past and present. I say Edge.
His playing really gives me chills.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:02 AM


Without objective debate, and the immediate descension into name-calling within this thread, it's worth nothing apart from either being locked or spammed by those who know how to do it well until it gets locked.

(for the record, I have no idea who Rush or Lifeson are, but I oftentimes prefer players like, say, Summers or Knopfler over the Edge for certain guitar-related abilities)
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #30
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,095
Local Time: 07:02 PM
I listened to quite a bit of Rush back in the day, but it's really not my thing these days. But I always respected Alex Lifeson's contribution to that group. He's definitely another thinking man's guitarist - as is the Edge.

And because both are more intellectual than the typical Guitar Hero, a biggest, uh, pick contest between the two seems pretty pointless.
__________________

__________________
ahittle is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
alex lifeson, edge, lerxst, rush, the edge, u2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com