The Dodos - Time to Die and related awesomeness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
Time to Die leaked awhile back, but now the digital release is coming up (July 28th in the U.S., to be exact), so it seems like as good a time as any to start up a Dodos thread. Can't believe there wasn't one before, considering I know at least a few B&C regulars who are into them.

ANYWAY, Amazon's selling Time to Die as a download for $2.99 today, a week before its official digital release. Check that shit out.

Amazon.com MP3 Downloads: Free music, bestselling songs at low prices, most albums $8.99 or lower. Compatible with MP3 players, including the iPod?.

When is the physical release? A month or two off still? Almost worth picking up the digital for that price and then getting the CD later. As you've heard it, what say you? Seeing as I put Visiter on my fav albums list in my top 20 of last year, is it a safe bet that spending $3 extra on it will be worth it?

When is the physical release?

August 31, I believe.

This is a great record. I would argue that it's even prettier than Visiter, although it has less of a visceral impact, partially because the percussion is less of a factor. Ignoring that, this is certainly one of the better albums I've heard so far this year. I need to listen a few more times before I can pick out the highlights.

I checked their website and it says Aug 31 UK and Sept 15th US. Apparently it's $3 today only.

I say it's worth an extra $3. It's a fantastic record, different than their other two, because there's simply more going on in the soundscape. It's not just percussion and guitar and vocals. Well, it is, but with a lot more production. Plus, they added a dude to play xylophone. How kick-ass is that? I think it's definitely going to be in my end of the year list though, even with everything else that's come out so far that's really great.

Thanks, guys. I'll likely be $3 poorer tonight. :wink:

Hopefully no songs from this album will end up in beer commercials...

Thanks, guys. I'll likely be $3 poorer tonight. :wink:

Hopefully no songs from this album will end up in beer commercials...

Nice. I approve of this type of poor.

:lol: Seriously though, it's the new big thing for advertisers, using "indie" songs to build up their cred. Sad, really, more than anything else.

Not 100? Come on Scumbo, you're slacking.

Giving the album a spin right now. Off the top of my head, a few favorites are: "Fables," which is probably the poppiest song on the record, but I'm a sucker for a great pop song; "Two Medicines," which had to grow on me a little bit, because of the weird vocal back-and-forth, and I now love it; the closer, "A Time to Die," is pretty fantastic as well.

Whew, glad I decided to visit the forum before hitting the sack, I had forgotten about this deal! Album is almost finished downloading. :cool:

Since I have no self-control, I ended up listening to it instead of getting in bed. Great stuff, I dare say I liked it more on my first time through than I did a lot of the good albums that have come out this year. The vast majority of the middle of the album is stellar. I really liked Fables, The Strums, Two Medicines, and Troll Nacht. There wasn't anything I didn't like, it's solid like the last one was. :up:

Is anyone else enjoying the new album? I don't know what it is about The Dodos, but it seems like pretty much everything they release makes me feel good inside.

Is anyone else enjoying the new album? I don't know what it is about The Dodos, but it seems like pretty much everything they release makes me feel good inside.

On first listen, at first, I felt a little bit like I did with Time To Die, in that I enjoy the album quite a bit, but not a lot of it is sticking with me afterwards.

However, that last trio of songs were pretty great, especially the closer.

Will give it another listen soon. With Time To Die, I kept feeling that way, even after hearing the album 4 or 5 times, but I don't believe that will be the case here.

It's their best album to date, IMO. Visiter was extremely charming, aggressive and beautiful, but it wasn't particularly well crafted, and they left in a few mediocre, negligible tracks. Regardless, it was much superior to the pretty but slick Time To Die, which I have had no desire to return to. This new album features everything I love about The Dodos and none of what I dislike, pared back to a breezy 41 minutes. Awesome album.

Plus, Neko fucking Case. :up:

On first listen, at first, I felt a little bit like I did with Time To Die, in that I enjoy the album quite a bit, but not a lot of it is sticking with me afterwards.

However, that last trio of songs were pretty great, especially the closer.

Haha, your first sentence there perfectly describes how I feel about their songs too. For some reason I actually like that about them though, a listen through their album is nice and easy, and doesn't go out of its way to get in your head.

The second to last song was one of my favs. :up:

Plus, Neko fucking Case. :up:

I forgot she's on here, and didn't notice at all when I listened! Speaking of songs not sticking with you afterwards... :wink: Do you know which song / songs she's on?

I heard her on a couple, but only one was she dominate on...and I can't remember which one it was :lol:.

u2popmofo said:
I forgot she's on here, and didn't notice at all when I listened! Speaking of songs not sticking with you afterwards... :wink: Do you know which song / songs she's on?

She's apparently on 5 songs, but I only noticed her on occasion. She was very prevalent on Don't Try And Hide It (I wish she hadn't).

Finally getting back to this one. Even better than I remembered it being :love: (the new album I mean)

You inspired me to give this a spin today as well, as I haven't for a month or so. Yeah, it's very good. Their albums seem to be consistently enjoyable for me. While it may be true that a lot of their material is "samey", I love what they do so much that it doesn't matter to me at all.

This album feels very "alive". Very fun musically. It does get a little "samey" by the end, but overall it's just such an enjoyable listen, I find myself not caring.

Just listened to the new one on Spotify. I like it, because I like them, but it's probably my least favorite of their albums. Nothing on it as instantly gratifying or memorable as any of the previous albums.

I just listened to the debut Beware of the Maniacs for the first time. It's more traditionally "folk" and lacks a little bit of the power that Visiter, No Color and Individ possess, but the songs are gorgeous. Time to Die has fallen off a bit for me and I never thought Carrier was one of their better efforts. So if I had to rank them right now:

1. No Color
2. Visiter
3. Individ
4. Beware of the Maniacs
5. Time to Die
6. Carrier

But they don't have a bad album.

I've spent far too little time with them, I'm realizing. I think a revisit to their back catalogue is in order.

Back
Top Bottom