The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't downloaded it and if I do I won't give it out anyway. I really just wanted an excuse to use the crying Indian poster. Although I suppose it would be better suited to Dalton.

Well, I thought I'm doing well enough already by holding out for YYY and Grizzly Bear, so I already caved and listened to this one. It's great, and even that is a massive understatement. Can't wait to pick it up. I love Shara Worden. Hers are the best parts of the album.

Yeah, I just commented on that in the Hottest Chicks Around thread. My Brightest Diamond opened for the Decemberists when I saw them and she was a very captivating performer.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the album.

Please do not go into too great of detail about the album, as I would like to be surprised considering I'm ultra psyched for this.

Thank you.

~The Utahnaire's Lament

I had heard that there would be Tesh influences, yes. But I also heard that parts of the album are reminiscent of Dr. Funke's 100 Percent Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution. The early stuff.

I just realized I've never mentioned how fantastic 'Sleepless' from Dark Was the Night is.

It's fantastic.

I'm loving this. There's some seriously epic shit on this album. And I'm sure it will only improve with more listens.

The one-two cockpunch of Isn't It A Lovely Night? and The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid is just wonderful. I love this album.

THIS IS HOW I AM REPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID!

I've listened to some of their stuff on YouTube and I'm not crazy about their singer's voice. Too boring, flat and droning to keep my interest over several songs or even longer tracks. It's a shame because I really liked the music and storytelling, but vocals are often a make or break thing for me.

I've listened to some of their stuff on YouTube and I'm not crazy about their singer's voice. Too boring, flat and droning to keep my interest over several songs or even longer tracks. It's a shame because I really liked the music and storytelling, but vocals are often a make or break thing for me.

Describing a singer's voice as "Boring, flat and droning" will always remind me of U2Kitten. :) She stated that as fact though, not opinion.

I also love all 4 of the Hazards of Love, Isn't it a lovely night, Annan Water, Won't Want For Love, and the Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing.

Oh shit. I guess that means I love pretty much everything on the album. Good for me.

Sooooooo, who's buying this tomorrow? I know I am. It might just be my favorite album of the year so far, and I'm really looking forward to checking out the lyric sheet to see exactly how this story plays out. I have a pretty good idea already, but there are a few passages that I'm not too clear on right now, and I have a feeling I will like the album even more when I get the full scope of Meloy's vision.

Also, pitchfork put up a shitty review of the album today. I guess the reviewer's claim is that the songs aren't there, which I strongly disagree with. But it looks like he enjoys The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid so that's cool.

Pitchfork: The Decemberists: The Hazards of Love

The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid is just wonderful. I love this album.

Your raging alcoholism did not impair your judgment on this one, my friend. Awesome song. I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to check into My Brightest Diamond's back catalog, as I absolutely love every track she sings on this album.

I've only made it through the album once, and I already know it's going to be the type of thing you have to be in the right mood for (and have a full hour for), but I had a hell of a good time on my first time through it. I expect some people to complain on some of the songs being a bit "samey", but I already like more tracks on this than I do on The Crane Wife. The Decemberists deliver the goods yet again, Meloy is going to enter god status soon.

The Rake still owns me.

I expect some people to complain on some of the songs being a bit "samey", but I already like more tracks on this than I do on The Crane Wife. The Decemberists deliver the goods yet again, Meloy is going to enter god status soon.

I'm really glad you liked it, scumbo. And regarding the "samey" thing - the songs 'A Bower Scene' and 'The Abduction of Margaret' are literally the exact same song other than the lyrics. And then of course there is the reprise, and the four versions of the title track which all feature variations on the same melodic theme of "ohhhh the hazards of love"...so you're right, people will complain about that.

But I think it all works. And, not only that...I think it all works beautifully. And, yeah, Shara Worden steals the scene in her two appearances. I also love the contributions from Becky Stark on 'Won't Want For Love' and 'Isn't It A Lovely Night?'

Just...yeah. Great album.

But I think it all works. And, not only that...I think it all works beautifully.

Agreed. I have no problems with them returning to the same melody or tune, as it makes sense in the context of it all. I like. I'm excited for more people to get it.

For some reason even though I've listened to it countless times, I'd never paid attention to the lyrics to The Rake's Song until last night. Now I like it even more than I already did, can't get the thing out of my head. It falls into the "surprisingly disturbing" realm of songs I am obsessed with and have been planning to make a thread on for about 3 years. It's like a modern day 'Country Death Song'. Fantastic.

I've never been a big proponent of The Decemberists, but I just listened to a stream of The Hazards Of Love and thought it was fantastic.

Perhaps I should have sampled more than just The Crane's Wife a couple of years ago.

Maybe this time I'll up the ante a bit and steal a physical copy. What a thrill!

I actually already bought the vinyl and do feel like talking about the record still. I just wanted to make Scumby sad.

I never understand why people have only heard The Crane Wife. It's far and away their weakest album, both fans and critics felt that way, but it seems to be the only album most have heard and based opinions on. :shrug:

I guess people generally just steal what ever is the most recent so they can feel like they're hip and in the know.

Back
Top Bottom