The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only one I have is The Crane Wife plus some random songs, and I said in the unpopular musical opinions thread that they are a band I respect but don't enjoy listening to. impy scolded me for starting with The Crane Wife instead of something else, I don't remember which. So what should I be listening to? Every time I try to listen to The Crane Wife I get annoyed and turn it off.

All 3 of the other albums are better, Joyful. I think you'd like all of 'em better. What other random songs have you heard that you liked? That may help deciding which other album to look into.

I think scolded is a bit harsh. But I'd recommend starting with Her Majesty. It was my first and still my favorite.

You always remember your first.

Yeah, the first 2 really are the best to go with probably. I'd say just go in order.

Castaway
Her Majesty
Picaresque
Lame Wife

I think scolded is a bit harsh. But I'd recommend starting with Her Majesty. It was my first and still my favorite.

Just picking on you because...because...it's Wednesday!

All 3 of the other albums are better, Joyful. I think you'd like all of 'em better. What other random songs have you heard that you liked? That may help deciding which other album to look into.

I think I have some songs from Her Majesty which I liked enough to then buy The Crane Wife. :huh:

I think I have some songs from Her Majesty which I liked enough to then buy The Crane Wife. :huh:

I'd go with InMyPlace's recommendation and do Her Majesty, then. Looking through the track lists, I think it's probably the best "first album" of theirs. :up:

I honestly think I'd rate The Decemberists as one of my all time favorite groups. For some reason I always think of them as "The Smiths of today", even though they really aren't THAT similar. Looking through my collection of their stuff, they've been constantly solid since day 1. Even though I give Crane Wife crap, I still love the vast majority of the songs. The other 3 albums are fantastic. The 5 Songs EP, The Tain EP, Billy Liar EP, Morrissey covers, Elliot Smith cover, Bjork cover, Joanna Newsom cover, Tarkio, and Colin Meloy solo stuff has all been great. If it wasn't for the Clash at Shea Stadium being released this year, the Colin Meloy live and acoustic cd would probably be my favorite live album of the year. I was even introduced to Okkervil River through The Decemberists (a group of "nobodies" named Okkervil River opened here when The Decemberists were supporting Picaresque).

I think I'll stop the lovefest and go buy the Always the Bridesmaid EPs off of iTunes right now.

There's nothing wrong with a Decemberists lovefest!

I was going to say that I think Picaresque would also be a good next choice in Joyfulgirl's quest. It was the first album of theirs that I bought. My college radio station played 16 Military Wives and The Engine Driver all the time and I loved both of those tracks. They were the songs that got me into the band. I still love 'em. In fact, I'd say that The Engine Driver is probably my all-time fave Decemberists song.

"I'm a county lineman
On the high line, on the high line
So will be my grandson
There are powerlines in our bloodlines

And if you don't love me let me go
..."

Picaresque was rated at #1 on my "Favorite Albums of 2005" list, GAFer. I am writer, a writer of fiction, but not about that.

In fact, I'd say that The Engine Driver is probably my all-time fave Decemberists song.

"I'm a county lineman
On the high line, on the high line
So will be my grandson
There are powerlines in our bloodlines

And if you don't love me let me go
..."

ooh ooh, I know this song. I like it a lot.

Wow, yeah, I like it too. Pretty much hooked me within the first 20 seconds of the song. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

I keep forgetting to listen to this. I'll check it out this weekend, if not sooner.

Maybe it's because I'm not hearing it within the context of the album, but I'm not terribly excited about this tune.

148644.hazardsoflove525.jpg

I love everything about The Rake's Song. The guitars, the drums, the story about a man who murders his own children, etc. :happy:

It is made of good things.

Had never heard of this band, until 'Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect' was played on How I Met Your Mother. I really enjoyed that song, still really do. That show just provides me with joy on so many levels. Not only is it a great show, but it's introduced me to good music too. I got into Bloc Party through it, and now may check out a Decembrist album or two, judging by the comments here :up:

I'm a big fan of this band, and I didn't even need Impy the foul stenched snake-rat, General Scumbo of the Utah militia or IYS to tell me to like them.

I am very friggin excited for this record. I have a feeling it's going to be a good one. Just a feeling. It could be because they've yet to put out a bad record. History likes to repeat itself.

Every time an album leaks, Scumbo pulls one of these:

crying-indian3.jpg

Anyway, commence to crying, hermano.

leak.jpg

At least it's only a few weeks off. I am excited for picking it up then.

Back
Top Bottom