The Dead Weather (Jack White...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Jack White's new band, Dead Weather consists of Allison Mosshart (VV) from The Kills on vocals, Jack Lawrence from The Raconteurs on bass, Dean Fertita from Queens of the Stone Age, and Jack White on the drums.

Are Friends Electric? (cover)
YouTube - The Dead Weather (Jack White) - Are Friends Electric?

Hang You From The Heavens:
YouTube - The Dead Weather (Jack White) - Hang You From the Heavens

jack_white_500.jpg

Photo: Jack White, right, with his new band, the Dead Weather. From left, Alison Mosshart, Jack Lawrence and Dean Fertita. Credit: Christopher Berkley / For The Times

From the L.A. Times:
Dead Weather: Jack White's newest stripe09:56 PM PT, Mar 11 2009

His new band, Dead Weather, plays a 20-minute set, sounding a lot like a stripped-down version of the White Stripes.

Reporting from Nashville -- Jack White took the wraps off his new band here Wednesday night, launching phase three of his ever-evolving career with a 20-minute live performance by Dead Weather, fronted by the Kills singer Alison Mosshart, at the site of his new Third Man Records headquarters.

The private show, attended by about 150 invitees, took place in the downtown building that houses not only the label's offices but a performance space, a record store specializing in vinyl, a photo studio and a darkroom.

White, playing drums and singing with Mosshart, is joined in the new group by two of his Raconteurs bandmates, guitarist Dean Fertita (also from Queens of the Stone Age) and bassist Jack Lawrence.

During the four-song set, Mosshart writhed at the mike while Fertita and Lawrence provided the heavy blues-rock groove on sibling white single-cutaway Gretsch hollow body guitar and bass. Mosshart joined them with a matching white Bo Diddley cigar box guitar for "So Far From Your Weapon."

White took his place at the drums, the instrument on which he first learned to play music. He came out from behind his kit just once, duetting at the mike with Mosshart on "Weapon."

The band's debut album, "Horehound," is due in June, and the first single will be "Hang You From the Heavens," which Third Man is issuing on a 7-inch vinyl single as well as making it available for download.

Before the performance, White, outfitted head to toe in black, said he had wanted to put together a multifaceted space like the one he's created for Third Man for some time, but his myriad musical pursuits proved too much of a distraction.

"I've been wanting to do this for eight years, but it's taken that long to have enough time -- and I mean like 15 minutes," White, 33, said, as guests, including Sheryl Crow and Martina McBride, chatted in the complex's kitchen-lounge, which was decorated with a '40s and '50s retro vibe.

"The key is the United Pressing Plant is two blocks away. We've set it up so we can put things out immediately."

He said Third Man would focus mainly on his musical projects. He aims to reissue whatever music of his own that's out of print as well as recordings that are out of circulation, and he spoke energetically about restoring some of the physical component of experiencing music that's been lost in the age of downloading and what he calls "invisible music."

"Only 20% of music released during the 20th century is available right now," White said. "That's a lot of music that's getting lost."

It was easy to get lost in "Horehound" during Wednesday's listening session. The album was cranked close to pain threshold on monstrous vintage McIntosh tube stereo amplifiers, one of them whimsically relabeled as a "JackIntosh."

White has managed to find a considerable amount of inspiration in his adopted hometown of Nashville. He has recorded much of his work with the Raconteurs in the country music capital, in addition to the 2004 album he played on and produced for Loretta Lynn, "Van Lear Rose."

The man with a penchant for vintage western clothing bought a house here at the end of 2005 for a reported $3.1 million -- painting the front door and chimney White Stripes red and establishing Music City as his new home with his wife, supermodel Karen Elson, and their two young children.

He turned most of his attention to the Raconteurs after White Stripes drummer Meg White pulled out of a planned 2007 tour because of sudden-onset anxiety. But they reportedly have been recording periodically and resurfaced about three weeks ago for a performance on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" for the host's final show before taking over his new duties chairing " The Tonight Show."

The shy percussionist, along with the Raconteurs' Brendan Benson, was on hand Wednesday to show support for Dead Weather, which with songs built on gargantuan guitar and bass hooks, thunderous drums and Mosshart's yearning vocals, has more in common sonically with stripped-down White Stripes and, occasionally, the sinister rock of the Kills than that of the Raconteurs.

She wasn't talking, but White's manager said the duo was still alive and well. "They've made a movie and there will be a new album out, probably next year," Ian Montone said.

Regardless of the viability of the White Stripes, White's multi-pronged approach to music-making has made him the poster boy for a new millennial model in which musicians develop different forums for their creative impulses.

"I'm on a major label, obviously," Crow said a few minutes before Dead Weather inaugurated the Third Man performance space. "It's exciting to those of us who face some of the frustrations of being on a major label to think there's a place like this that can help people put more music out quickly."

Ultimately, White's experiment to build a company that can usher music directly from those who create it to those who want to hear it faces the same question Dead Weather poses in the closing track of "Horehound":

"When I set sail

Will there be enough wind? . . .

Will there be enough water

When my ship comes in?"

Very, very interesting. Thanks for posting this, Lila. I will do some more research on this most intriguing of news developments and will return with my findings.

"Hang You from Heaven" sounds great. I miss Meg, but anything with Jack involved is worth anticipating.

Pretty much my thoughts, too. The song sounds very cool. Jack is, not surprisingly, a very good drummer. This Alison Mosshart girl is hot, and I'll be checking out whatever it is The Dead Weather decides to do next. It's Jack. I have to. He is, and always will be, one of my very favorite musicians.

Interestingly, in that article that Lila posted, it mentions that The Stripes have been recording and that we'll probably get an album next year. Sounds good to me.

:hmm:

106.7 KROQ Presents
The Dead Weather Thursday, August 27
Doors: 7 pm $30

ON SALE FRIDAY
5/22 @ 12 PM!

Hope hardy sees this, in case I forget to tell him about it :)

on first listen I'd say it's good
but it sounds like something that should get me psyched more than that it gets me psyched
or something like that

Jack White returns to rock's roots with new band
By Scott Deveau, Canwest News ServiceJune 17, 2009 8:02 AM

1704754.bin

Jack White's newest band, The Dead Weather, puts out debut LP Horehound July 14.

Photograph by: (Getty Images), (Getty Images)

TORONTO -- In an era when music is downloaded as quickly as it is discarded, Jack White, one of the busiest men in rock 'n' roll, makes no bones about the fact he doesn't like the way the music industry is run.

But rather than resign himself to his fate, the 33-year-old frontman has chosen to take a stand with his own record label, Third Man Records, launched earlier this spring, with the ambition of returning something raw and real to an age he says is preoccupied with the overproduced and ethereal digital format.

Third Man is based out of Nashville, near White's home, in an all-in-one complex that not only houses an eight-track recording studio, but also a dark room for making album covers and a record store out front where he sells the vinyl records he produces and has pressed just a few blocks away.

"The studio and the label are all wrapped around the idea of tangible music, mechanical ways to record and reproduce and distribute it," White said in an interview at Toronto's Four Seasons hotel.

"People are lining up around the block to buy these (records), so I know there are people out there that want something tangible, something real."

The label is not only the new home to his bands, the White Stripes and the Raconteurs, but also the birthplace of his latest salvo, The Dead Weather, a bluesy, booze-soaked rock supergroup of sorts in which he plays drums.

Alison Mosshart of the Kills sings lead vocals in the band, and his fellow Raconteurs, Jack Lawrence and Dean Fertita, who is also a member of the Queens of the Stone Age, round out the group on bass and guitar respectively.

While White's ambitions may be lofty, and he is the first to admit he doesn't have all the answers, the Dead Weather is a much grittier offering than his other two bands.

The Dead Weather was forged in the aftermath of a tumultuous tour last summer in which the Kills opened for the Raconteurs. The Kills had their tour bus stolen during the tour, and White lost his voice due to bronchitis, which led Mosshart to help him out on vocals for a few shows.

A bond was formed between the two, and when the tour was coming to a close, the duo decided record a cover of Gary Newman's "Are Friends Electric" at White's home in Nashville.

"We drank quite a bit on the last night in Atlanta and we thought it would be a good idea to record without sleeping. So, I hopped on their bus and went back to Nashville," Mosshart recalls. "In that same span of 12 hours, we started to write four other songs. It just came real easy."

The result is Horehound, a blistering, Zeppelin-esque album, which will be released on July 14.

Right from the album's first track, "60 Feet Tall," you have a bass-driven, sludgy tour de force that recalls the stripped down rock of the early '70s, with Fertita contributing spiralling guitar riffs and Mosshart's wailing vocals bringing a little sex appeal to the band.

At times, you can also hear the remnants of groups' past incarnations, like on the track "Treat Me Like Your Mother," which smacks of the Kills dredged through the Dead Weather's heavier sound.
Horehound even includes an explosive cover of Bob Dylan's "New Pony," which was recorded on a lark but landed on the album when White began to mix it in January.

While Horehound will still be available for download on iTunes when it's released, White says he's heartened by the fact that its first 7-inch vinyl single, "Hang You from the Heavens," managed to sell 6,000 copies.

In fact, the resurgence of vinyl itself, with companies like Best Buy moving to sell it again, and Walmart considering the same, he said is further proof that people want something to hold in their hands when it comes to music.

"Do I really need a MySpace page for this f---ing music? Do I really need to do that? There's a part of me, that just out of spite, says I don't want to do it because it's so antithetical to what I do," White said.

Where White finds his energy is anybody's guess. In addition to preparing for a summer tour with the Dead Weather, he is currently working on a new White Stripes album and is helping to launch a new documentary of the White Stripes 2007 Canadian tour, in which the duo played a gig in every province and territory. The tour was an homage of sorts to his family's Nova Scotia roots, he said.

The film, The White Stripes Under Great White Northern Lights, is expected to close this September's Toronto International Film Festival.

"I always thought it was an untapped frontier. We booked a show in every province and territory and we found out that no Canadian band had done that," White said. "It was great to be part of a new frontier there for a minute or two."

The Dead Weather's Horehound is out July 14.

:applaud:

It's just now dawning on me that this album is coming out soon. Like most of you, I'd follow Jack off a cliff. I hope this thing is better than the last Raconteurs effort. "Treat Me Like Yr Mother" already shits on most of Consolers of the Lonely.

And by the way, they're playing the aforementioned tune on Conan tomorrow.

Thanks for the Conan tip - I'll have to remember to tape it!

Someone should have proofread that article; Gary Newman? :tsk: :nerd:

Treat Me Like Your Mother sounds great and though I don't expect Jack doing anything better than Stripes, I'm looking foward to this. :hmm::hmm:

Okay, this is going to be fucking cool. Already set the DVR to grab it off Cinemax HD Saturday night.

Back
Top Bottom