The Dead Weather (Jack White...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Songs absolutely kicks ass. Gimme that chorus all day. I'm fucking pumped to see them again later this month.

God, the way she growls "I don't want a sweetheat" and "I can smell the gasoline." Let's get married already, Mossy.

Friday is going to be a mess.

Is Jack playing some guitar on this album? Because that solo sounds a lot like him. I've always thought that it is criminal to have Jack in a band and not have him playing guitar.

That was the first thing I thought, yuppie. If that isn't Jacky playing that solo, then what'shisface from Queens of the Stone Age has become one hell of an impersonator.

Starting at 1 p.m. Eastern time, for the next 24 hours, you can watch and listen to a Ustream live camera feed of Sea of Cowards being played on an old-fashioned record player. So anachronistic it hurts. According to a press release, the broadcast "will feature surprise guest DJs," so you might have to tune in the whole day (and night) if you want to see Jack put the needle down.

That iz crazay

Alright, I'd already seen them, but that didn't stop this show from being one of the best I've seen in a really long time, if not ever. Blew last night's exceptional Phoenix show out of the water. Ha HA! Instant classic!

Words can't do Mosshart justice...

I'll bet Gus Johnson goes to Dead Weather shows. Too epic for him to miss out.

ALISON MOSSHART! AFTER BEING IN THE KILLS! HEART! BREAK! CITY!

Glad it was a good show, Imps. I really enjoyed them last year. So did anyone listen to the stream? What did you think if so?

re: the stream. The quality was better than you'd expect despite the gimmick. But good news, NPR has the whole album up now:

First Listen: The Dead Weather, 'Sea Of Cowards' : NPR

Also, some extra dates:

07-13 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
07-14 Boston, MA - House of Blues
07-15 Toronto, Ontario - Sound Academy
07-17 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
07-19 San Diego, CA - House of Blues
07-21 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
07-22 San Francisco, CA - Warfield Theatre
07-24 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
07-27 Billings, MT - Babcock Theatre
07-28 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
07-29 Milwaukee, WI - The Rave
07-30 Chicago, IL - The Congress Theater
07-31 Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
08-02 Baltimore, MD - Ram's Head Live!
08-03 Brooklyn, NY - Prospect Park

re: the stream. The quality was better than you'd expect despite the gimmick. But good news, NPR has the whole album up now:

I more was asking what you thought of the album. Was wondering if I should pre-order it or hold off until I hear more.

Yeah, that was sort of my side-stepping the question since I don't have much of an opinion yet. The songs were great live, "No Horse" in particular, but when listening to the stream I wasn't struck immediately like with Horehound. Chances are you're going to want it, but a pre-order might be excessive. I haven't had a chance to check out that NPR stream yet having been busy/away from home today, and I can't right now because the azn who lives above me filed a noise complaint due to my getting my Flying Lotus on at midnight on a Tuesday.

Yeah, I've listened to it twice and am a bit lukewarm on it. So far. It holds together very well - I think "cohesive" is what the kids are calling that these days. And there are a couple of standouts. I really like "Gasoline" and "The Difference Between Us." I'll go back to it some more, though I don't think it will be a record I look back on as one of the tops of the year or anything.

It's interesting that there isn't a track over 3:44. Just an observation, not sure if it means anything.

And I've said it before, but my reaction to this album makes my feelings on the issue that much stronger: Jack, pretty please with sugar on top, make another fucking White Stripes album.

Yeah, I mean there's plenty of cool stuff going on, and I do like the album, but the songs just aren't as good as those on the debut. My expectations weren't exceptionally high anyway (combination of an over-achieving debut and the follow-up being written/recorded on the road), so I'll certainly be able to enjoy this very much.

In any case, it's still better than both Raconteurs albums. That much is evident after two listens.

Yeah, this is a difficult album to critique right off the bat because the individual pieces aren't evident. Literally. Horehound had a number of individual standout tracks, but Sea of Cowards is a lot less substantial. On the surface, anyway. I actually enjoy it a more though because I feel the band has gotten a lot tighter, and it's evident in the performances. And, let's face it, this album feels a lot like a live performance, so it would only be fair to judge it as such. Based on that criteria, I think it's very strong; the songs segue together smoothly (I couldn't hear the space between The Difference Between Us and I'm Mad, which was cool), the band plays off of each other very well, and the standouts are pretty killer.

Actually, much of the above applies to the Raconteurs' two records also; they only sharpened their songwriting and overall sound as time went on. I disagree with Impy that both Dead Weather albums top those, but I realize I'm in the minority in not liking Horehound. There was a wealth of great songwriting talent in that band, and I've always thought Dead Weather was more style than substance. This new record actually supports that somewhat, but at least it's fun, even if I won't be returning to it all that often.

In conclusion: Jack White's an awesome dude, but bring on a new White Stripes record.

He said he hasn't talked to Meg yet about recording a new album, so it's still gonna be a while before we hear anything from them.

He's only missed two years with an album since 1999.

1999: White Stripes
2000: De Stijl
2001: White Blood Cells
2003: Elephant
2005: Get Behind Me Satan
2006: Broken Boy Soldiers
2007: Icky Thump
2008: Consolers of the Lonely
2009: Horehound
2010: Sea of Cowards

Back
Top Bottom