The Darkness- Hot Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schloopen

Refugee
4 important things here.

First, this video is hysterical. And the songs a kicker.

The Darkness - Everybody Have A Good Time - YouTube

Second, they cover Radiohead as Iron Maiden.

The Darkness - Street Spirit (Fade Out) New Studio Version With Lyrics - YouTube

Third, this cover. Good lord. This cover.

$%28KGrHqV,%21nUF%21IcLpmimBQM9%28uKv%28w%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Fourthly, the entire record is a frigging blast. Big, dumb ROCK. Justin Hawkin's melodies are so familiar, yet so convoluted. I must say, it's a rather strange and wonderful thing. I lost interest in these guys with their second record, but this one, this is the one. So much loud fun.

I'm really excited to hear this. That lead single's video cracked me the fuck up, and their other album (you know, the one) is pretty great.

Permission to Land was great. If this album is half as good (which One Way Ticket ... wasn't) I'll definitely check it out.

I'm definitely waiting on this one--to hear reviews of it from people whose taste I trust.

I'm definitely waiting on this one--to hear reviews of it from people whose taste I trust.

You should trust your own taste.

I get the feeling lots of people here are proud of finding their "Their Will Be Blood" of records. Depressing. Sad. Heavy.

Well, this is the "Caddy Shack" of records. Passing it up is your loss. Cause "Caddy Shack" is, at the very least, the equivalent of "Their Will Be Blood."

Fun is underrated.

You should trust your own taste.

I get the feeling lots of people here are proud of finding their "Their Will Be Blood" of records. Depressing. Sad. Heavy.

Well, this is the "Caddy Shack" of records. Passing it up is your loss. Cause "Caddy Shack" is, at the very least, the equivalent of "Their Will Be Blood."

Fun is underrated.

Wow. Thanks for that, life coach.

It's an album by The Darkness, of all bands, and I highly doubt passing it up is "my loss" or makes me a fun hater. There's just so much other fantastic music out there that I have prioritized to check out. Unless a friend tells me this is must-hear music (which I doubt will happen), I'm not planning on really giving it the time of day. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

And yeah, that cover of Street Spirit has been around almost as long as the band itself. It was cool about 8 years ago, so my apologies again for not being all that excited by it, or this album.

ETA: And I think you mean There Will Be Blood, though to be honest, I'm not sure what you're on about here.

Von shcloopy's movie post confuses me, becausd im at work and left my magic decoder ring at home. This band was best left in 2004. And that's coming from someone who liked a few tracks from that album for a couple weeks back then. Hearing some idiot in my dorm blast "I believe in a thing called love" or whatever that song was called, several times an hour for days on end is one of my most hated memories from college.

The Darkness were great novelty value back in the day, but the joke got tired very quickly. And Hawkins seems like a prick (sorry, all you Hawkins fans out there.) He just doesn't have the talent he likes to think he has to justify his prickishness.

there is no real novelty about The Darkness at all
unless the entire rock genre has all of a sudden become a novelty

just finished listening to Hot Cakes (apparently only the second person in this thread to do so, even though the number of opinions wouldn't suggest this) and first impression is that it's a very good album I will definitely return to
don't think it's as excellent as Permission to Land was, but definitely a big step up from One Way Ticket ....

great rock album
with a bit of fun thrown into it
(not the other way around as people would like to make you think)

:up: :up:

Wow. Thanks for that, life coach.

It's an album by The Darkness, of all bands, and I highly doubt passing it up is "my loss" or makes me a fun hater. There's just so much other fantastic music out there that I have prioritized to check out. Unless a friend tells me this is must-hear music (which I doubt will happen), I'm not planning on really giving it the time of day. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

And yeah, that cover of Street Spirit has been around almost as long as the band itself. It was cool about 8 years ago, so my apologies again for not being all that excited by it, or this album.

ETA: And I think you mean There Will Be Blood, though to be honest, I'm not sure what you're on about here.

So much confidence from someone who needs to be told their opinion by others.

Why not decide for yourself what you like?

Von shcloopy's movie post confuses me, becausd im at work and left my magic decoder ring at home. This band was best left in 2004. And that's coming from someone who liked a few tracks from that album for a couple weeks back then. Hearing some idiot in my dorm blast "I believe in a thing called love" or whatever that song was called, several times an hour for days on end is one of my most hated memories from college.

Nah.

This new record is fun.

You should listen to it.

there is no real novelty about The Darkness at all
unless the entire rock genre has all of a sudden become a novelty

just finished listening to Hot Cakes (apparently only the second person in this thread to do so, even though the number of opinions wouldn't suggest this) and first impression is that it's a very good album I will definitely return to
don't think it's as excellent as Permission to Land was, but definitely a big step up from One Way Ticket ....

great rock album
with a bit of fun thrown into it
(not the other way around as people would like to make you think)

:up: :up:

They're not a rotating 14 member Canadian collective who appear in the "indie" spotlite on iTunes.

So, ya know.

You realize that by saying things like that, you're doing exactly what it is you think other people are doing to your taste in music, right? It comes across as incredibly cunty

You realize that by saying things like that, you're doing exactly what it is you think other people are doing to your taste in music, right? It comes across as incredibly cunty

How so?

Pointing out people here have limited taste means I have limited taste? I love the 14 member Canadian collectives who appear under the "indie spotlite" on iTunes.

No comprende.

People here don't have limited taste. You've just created a caricature of everyone and decided that they do. Not liking the Darkness doesn't equal not liking fun or taking one's self too seriously. It just means not liking the Darkness. The same people you're talking about are jizzing their pantaloons over the Father John Misty album; probably one of the least self-important albums of the year. You're judging people's taste in music in the very same way you seem to think you're being judged. Your posts in here have a very me vs them-ness about them. You made a post a while back about how people should be nicer to one another, yet you're coming across as very antagonistic. Nobody wants to shit on your taste in music. They might shit on the artists, but don't take it so seriously. Everyone in here is generally pretty cool, but posting like a dick only invites the jabs. Be cool and join in the conversations if you want

I don't like the Darkness, other than I Believe In a Thing Called Love (which is awesome). That doesn't mean I have "limited taste." I get my doses of Big Dumb Fun music from other sources.

:up: to JT's post

People here don't have limited taste. You've just created a caricature of everyone and decided that they do. Not liking the Darkness doesn't equal not liking fun or taking one's self too seriously. It just means not liking the Darkness. The same people you're talking about are jizzing their pantaloons over the Father John Misty album; probably one of the least self-important albums of the year. You're judging people's taste in music in the very same way you seem to think you're being judged. Your posts in here have a very me vs them-ness about them. You made a post a while back about how people should be nicer to one another, yet you're coming across as very antagonistic. Nobody wants to shit on your taste in music. They might shit on the artists, but don't take it so seriously. Everyone in here is generally pretty cool, but posting like a dick only invites the jabs. Be cool and join in the conversations if you want

I think the caricature is correct.

Look at your general music page threads.

You guys are all over the place. Radiohead. Animal Collective. Sigur Ros. Cat Power. Dirty Projectors. Flying Lotus.

Crazy variety there.

And why are you attacking me?

You've set up a forum that inspires this kind of attitude:

ya proud of that? Are you defending that? Are you one of the people she needs to check in with before she can declare she likes something?

We're 2 pages into an album thread where 2 people have listened to the album.

Great work. Music first.

You guys are all over the place. Radiohead. Animal Collective. Sigur Ros. Cat Power. Dirty Projectors. Flying Lotus.

Crazy variety there.

I can't tell any of that white people music apart either.

Congrats on being the first person I've ever seen compare Sigur Ros and Flying Lotus.

I think the caricature is correct.

Look at your general music page threads.

Crazy variety there.

Again, you're just seeing what you want to see and clearly haven't spent much time in there. Some of the same guys that post in there post in the hip hop thread. Some listen to classic rock. Gaf listens to Girls Aloud and Taylor Swift. Cori likes classical and show tunes. Country. Metal. Pop. I've read people praising fucking dubstep. Most of us listen to 80s new wave. at least half of us LIKED THE FIRST FUCKING DARKNESS ALBUM. You have no clue what you're talking about. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and are letting it affect your perception.

And why are you attacking me?

Really dude? You took my post to be an attack? That was about as kind as I could be and about 10 times kinder than you deserved it to be. Stop acting like a victim. I even invited you to come post in the other thread for christ sake

You've set up a forum that inspires this kind of attitude:

So someone bought the first album and liked it. Bought the second album and got burned because it was a pile of shit. And wants to wait to hear from people before she buys the new one and you think that's a shitty attitude??? Seriously man, you need to get a grip. Your complete lack of comprehension betrays your massive bias

ya proud of that? Are you defending that? Are you one of the people she needs to check in with before she can declare she likes something?

Read above. Yes I'm happy that someone doesn't want to waste their money on an album by a band that, at this point, seems to be a flash in the pan, one album band. You're an idiot to read it any other way

We're 2 pages into an album thread where 2 people have listened to the album.

Great work. Music first.

Woe is you. You're upset that people won't listen to the new Darkness album that you love so dearly (that new single is horrible, by the way. I gave it a chance and won't be buying the album unless I hear something else decent. Do you think your opinion means that much to anyone?). Stop projecting your shitty attitude on the genuinely good people in this forum. To go back to your post from a couple months ago, maybe it's you who is the problem. You've clearly come in here looking for a fight. It's embarrassing. Give your head a shake

We'd listen to U2 too, but they're waaaaay too mainstream.

Cori likes classical and show tunes.

Don't forget Britney Spears, Robyn and Lady Gaga, please. :heart:

Hang on, Schloopie. Schloopie, hang on.

You really are coming across antagonistically about this. I know it sucks when you post about something you really dig and it doesn't get a lot of response, but there's no need to go around kicking rocks at people about it.

We'd listen to U2 too, but they're waaaaay too mainstream.

Ha. Exactly.

Don't forget Britney Spears, Robyn and Lady Gaga, please. :heart:

All artists who've had songs that I also like as well :).

And I like Coldplay, which is a half and half thing, I think, on here. Some people like them as well, but they've also gotten their fair share of mockery from some of our members. But hey, different strokes, and all that.

Yeah, there's a lot of "indie" type artists (or artists that could be seen as such-who knows what constitutes indie nowadays) that are loved here, and sometimes people poke fun at each other for their tastes, but it's all good-natured joking. I'd agree we're a fairly open minded bunch.

As for the Darkness, I like their song "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". I'm certainly not at all opposed to ridiculously silly, over the top rock music. Not sure what I think exactly of their latest single, though, but maybe I'll give a few more songs of theirs a listen at some point.

Well just to be contrary, I'll happily put up my hand as disliking 'over the top, fun' music. Might make an exception for happy stuff with a bit of an edge to it, like the B52s, but not the bloated Queen-inspired likes of The Darkness.

Again, you're just seeing what you want to see and clearly haven't spent much time in there. Some of the same guys that post in there post in the hip hop thread. Some listen to classic rock. Gaf listens to Girls Aloud and Taylor Swift. Cori likes classical and show tunes. Country. Metal. Pop. I've read people praising fucking dubstep. Most of us listen to 80s new wave. at least half of us LIKED THE FIRST FUCKING DARKNESS ALBUM. You have no clue what you're talking about. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and are letting it affect your perception.

Really dude? You took my post to be an attack? That was about as kind as I could be and about 10 times kinder than you deserved it to be. Stop acting like a victim. I even invited you to come post in the other thread for christ sake

So someone bought the first album and liked it. Bought the second album and got burned because it was a pile of shit. And wants to wait to hear from people before she buys the new one and you think that's a shitty attitude??? Seriously man, you need to get a grip. Your complete lack of comprehension betrays your massive bias

Read above. Yes I'm happy that someone doesn't want to waste their money on an album by a band that, at this point, seems to be a flash in the pan, one album band. You're an idiot to read it any other way

Woe is you. You're upset that people won't listen to the new Darkness album that you love so dearly (that new single is horrible, by the way. I gave it a chance and won't be buying the album unless I hear something else decent. Do you think your opinion means that much to anyone?). Stop projecting your shitty attitude on the genuinely good people in this forum. To go back to your post from a couple months ago, maybe it's you who is the problem. You've clearly come in here looking for a fight. It's embarrassing. Give your head a shake

um...Ok?

A million :up:s to jt's post.

Schloopy you seem to be saying that HG's post was snobbish, when it wasn't. All she was saying was that she wasn't too keen on hearing the new Darkness album unless someone who's opinion on music she generally agrees with said it was worth checking out.

You are the one who started attacking people for not listening to this album, as if it was a beacon of music diversity. Having posted in B&C for a number of years now I can safely say that the taste is extremely diverse, running the gamut from metal to hip hop, mainstream pop to post rock, experimental to swooncore.

I welcome your contributions but if people dot want to listen to the new Darkness album don't take it personally or get on a high horse.

Back
Top Bottom