The Darkness- Hot Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Schloopy you seem to be saying that HG's post was snobbish, when it wasn't. All she was saying was that she wasn't too keen on hearing the new Darkness album unless someone who's opinion on music she generally agrees with said it was worth checking out.

I don't think it was snobbish at all. Quite the contrary. It was far too deferential to the opinion of others.

What's wrong with that? You can't listen to everything. It was already low down on HG's list. I probably wouldn't have listened to Destroyer's Kaputt if it hadn't been getting a lot of praise in here.

What's wrong with that? You can't listen to everything. It was already low down on HG's list. I probably wouldn't have listened to Destroyer's Kaputt if it hadn't been getting a lot of praise in here.

really?

So if a record doesn't get a lot of praise around here you don't listen to it?

I'm certainly less likely to. But how is that surprising? I only started getting into music not by U2 when I started posting in here a few years ago, so my tastes have been very much formed by my fellow posters, whose opinions on music seem to reflect mine. I seek out other albums as well through other sources on the internet but I'm not close-minded (though Axver will say I am). I haven't seen many good reviews for this new Darkness album through my usual sources, therefore I won't listen to it, because the overwhelming chance is it won't be to my taste.

At the end of the day, how HG chooses to seek out and listen to her music is her own damn business and no one else's. You've been rather vocal about your distaste for this forum, VS, and I'm sure we all have noted it. But you seem to be looking for the collective forum to admit to some type of indie elitism that just doesn't exist. Frankly I don't see why this thread is still open.

I should also note that there are plenty of threads made by regulars that fall by the wayside with hardly any posts, so it's not like we're playing favorites here, either.

I seek out other albums as well through other sources on the internet but I'm not close-minded (though Axver will say I am).

Haha. Only when it comes to metal and hardcore. :wink:

Psst ... it's "closed-minded". /petpeeve

There's too much music out there to listen to everything. How people decide to go about it is their business.

Exactly. Given the massive, overwhelming abundance of music available to anybody with an Internet connection, I don't think it should be any surprise that people try to maximise their chances of discovering music they enjoy by taking recommendations from likeminded friends.

Yeah, it's not often I stumble across an artist I love simply of my own accord. Many artists I'm a fan of now I got into after hearing people here, or in other places, raving about them. And if I hear an artist I like listing their favorite musicians, and there's one I'm not familiar with, I've been known to hunt those down and give them a listen, too, 'cause I figure, if my favorite artists like them, well...:wink: (and for the most part, I'm not disappointed, either).

Nobody can force me to like or not like something I hear, of course, obviously ultimately I make the final call on whether or not it's to my tastes. But I will always be more than happy to check out music recommendations from friends, no matter what genre or artist it is they're talking about. If nothing else it's just fun to be able to potentially bond with friends over music and it's fun to see people so enthusastic about something they're listening to.

Von Schloopen said:
Ok.

What brought this on?

Pretty sure your accusation that everyone here listens to the narrow genre of indie collective/interchangeable female singer fronted electronic shoe gazey stuff, and likes nothing but that, is what brought it on. Personally, I dislike that stuff just about as much as I dislike the darkness. And it's rare these days that I'm introduced by anything I love on these boards these days, and that's with reading glowing recommendations from people who think everyone should check (insert band name here) out. You're definitely not winning me over by yelling at everyone about us all listening to music wrong because we don't get the same fun out of this shit band that you do.

really? I thought it was interchangeable. I'll take your word for it though.

Someone's mind is closed, hence they are closed-minded. Close-minded doesn't even make sense if you really sit down and think about it (closed-minded people unwilling to admit they're wrong in the above link notwithstanding :tongue: ).

Now, grammar discussions are normally boring, but I think it might actually be more enjoyable than the random shit-flinging in this thread.

instead of spending time posting in this thread people actually could have listened to the new The Darkness album
they most likely would enjoy it as it's a great album that I actually enjoy more & more every time I listen to it

:tsk: you did it wrong!

instead of spending time posting in this thread people actually could have listened to the new The Darkness album
they most likely would enjoy it as it's a great album that I actually enjoy more & more every time I listen to it

This exactly. The only thing about HG's post that put me off is that I don't understand why people come into threads to say they're not going to listen to something. Does that make sense?

I'm really excited for this album, I just broke the headphone jack on my laptop, is all, and I haven't had a phone for about a week or two, so I'm just now able to listen to music again. Hopefully I'll get to it today.

B212, allow me to clarify yet again that I didn't stop by just to be an ass and say I wasn't going to listen to it at all. I said I'd need some convincing from people I trust, which is why I checked out the thread in the first place and continue to check back to see what people have to say.

I really, really can't believe my comment had caused such a fuss and "put people off." I honestly was curious to see who else would recommend the album before checking it out. It's as simple as that.

I hope you didn't take my comment to mean that I was in any way irritated by your or your post or anything. I would be quite happy if the conversation weren't so focused on it.

I understand where you were coming from, and I perhaps would have been best not saying anything at all.

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I still have a couple tracks left, but this is really enjoyable. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from The Darkness. Didn't care much for the opener, but everything else was pure pop/rock fun. Glad they're back.

Back
Top Bottom