The Cure Survivor - Wish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your FOUR FAVORITES

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR FOUR FAVORITES!

We have left the 80s and move in to the 90s. It's all downhill from here, people.

Ok, that's not true. Wish is actually a Tier 1 album...somehow.

Anyways! The results from the delightfully popular Disintegration thread are:

Pictures of You - 14 Votes
Disintegration - 13 Votes
Lullaby - 12 Votes
Lovesong - 12 Votes
Fascination Street 10 Votes

They will join:
A Night Like This
In Between Days
Push
Sinking
One Hundred Years
The Hanging Garden
A Strange Day
The Figurehead

We now come to Wish, the last of the Tier 1 albums. As a result, it will receive FOUR SONGS so please VOTE FOR YOUR FOUR FAVORITES

Doing the Unstuck (best Porl guitar solo), A Letter to Elise, Apart and To Wish Impossible Things. Although I'm sad not to pick From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea as well.

I really hope that Friday atrocity doesn't go through in the next round.

:sad:

My favorite shirt:

zoom.gif

someone on Interference actually purchased that for me. :shifty:

Lovesong got more votes than Fascination Street??

I don't even want to go into that thread looking for answers, as my contempt for the taste of Interference will just grow even larger.

As for this album, I understand how Friday I'm In Love is too saccharine for most, but High is just a damned perfect pop song.

Open is one of their best openers, even if they usually have very good ones.

Cut kicks all kinds of ass. That dirty guitar playing is just amazing.

Last spot would either go to Elise (which IMO is an improved version of Pictures of You), or Deep Green Sea.

I guess I'll actually have to finally get around to hearing this album in full, huh?

Also, sign me up as a member of the People Who Genuinely Like Friday I'm in Love Club. Great track, and djerdap should not be allowed to reproduce.

The pop songs here are where it's at. This is the point at which Cure rockers all started sounding the same: long intros, thumping beats, the same two chords looped over and over, and the glossy production never did them any favors. They're the reason the self-titled is so damn boring.

My picks, then, are:

Open
High
Friday I'm In Love
A Letter to Elise

With Doing the Unstuck right on the precipice.

I have no idea why this is a tier 1 album, but I would listen to it a lot more often without Wendy Time and Trust to sit through. There are a lot of fantastic melodies here, and if those had been teased out a bit more, Wish would have a clearer identity. It's still pretty good nonetheless, even at an indulgent 65 minutes.

Also, sign me up as a member of the People Who Genuinely Like Friday I'm in Love Club. Great track, and djerdap should not be allowed to reproduce.

Ax, I thought you were better than liking that monstrosity. :wink: I find this amusing when thinking of your complaints on Ultra Violet, since I for one cannot think of a more boy-bandish song from an "alternative" band than Friday I'm in Love.

The pop songs here are where it's at. This is the point at which Cure rockers all started sounding the same: long intros, thumping beats, the same two chords looped over and over, and the glossy production never did them any favors. They're the reason the self-titled is so damn boring.

My picks, then, are:

Open
High
Friday I'm In Love
A Letter to Elise

With Doing the Unstuck right on the precipice.

I have no idea why this is a tier 1 album, but I would listen to it a lot more often without Wendy Time and Trust to sit through. There are a lot of fantastic melodies here, and if those had been teased out a bit more, Wish would have a clearer identity. It's still pretty good nonetheless, even at an indulgent 65 minutes.

Ah, one of those posts where you disagree with every syllable written. Cure rockers didn't start sounding the same at this point. Something like Doing the Unstuck when compared with Burn, 39 or Labyrinth... Sure, it's not going from vegetarian progressive grindcore to death metal, but the old argument of "songs sounding the same" always sounds silly, be it U2 or The Cure we're discussing. The pop songs can more than often be painfully boring and repetitive (Let's Go To Bed, The Walk, High) or downright embarrassing (Friday I'm in Love, Catch), so that's an aspect of The Cure I like the least.

And I wouldn't define self-titled as a rocker album - there are enough pop songs (in fact, the most famous song from it is a dull little pop ditty) and some moody Cure tracks to draw the conclusion that poor songwriting in general made that album a failure.

Well, I wouldn't refer to Doing the Unstuck as a rocker at all, so maybe there's an issue of definitions here. Really, I just can't tell Fascination Street-esque tracks like Cut or Want or The Hungry Ghost apart, and I don't think they do them very well anymore. But hey, that's just my opinion, man.

Well, the Show version of Doing the Unstuck is what comes to mind first, and that one is definitely a rocker by Cure standards.

From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea is easily my favorite on here. Hell, it's my favorite Cure song. Open is nearly as good.

I like this album for its rockers. The other tracks make the album very diverse. End and Apart are my two other picks.

I have always hated 'A Letter To Elise'. It makes me stabby. I don't even have it on my computer or iPod. Absolutely hate that damn song.

I agree with whomever said 'High' is near pop perfection. If I had one more spot, I would've voted for it. But I really like the "sad" songs: 'Trust' and 'To Wish Impossible Things'. I'm a big fan of 'Doing The Unstuck', and I have fond memories of 'Open' from a drama club camping trip. :wink:

That's the Last Dance of this album. Bland and unmemorable. Especially since they had excellent b-sides like This Twilight Garden, Scared as You or The Big Hand on their hands and they put that turd in.

I would say that This Twilight Garden is better than anything on here except Deep Green Sea. Fantastic song.

I like every track on this album but A Letter to Elise is the worst one. Kind of bland.

To Wish Impossible Things is one of my top 5 songs by The Cure and it's not going to make it. :sad:

I love the names of the songs on this album, for what it's worth. I don't know, they're just pretty eloquent for the most part (not all of them, obviously).

I like Bloodflowers a lot. Like all Cure albums post Head on the Door (save Disintegration, which could be even longer and I wouldn't give a fuck), it's about 20 minutes too long, but I agree with Robert that it shows them doing what they're best at.

I like Bloodflowers a lot. Like all Cure albums post Head on the Door (save Disintegration, which could be even longer and I wouldn't give a fuck), it's about 20 minutes too long, but I agree with Robert that it shows them doing what they're best at.

I agree. Bloodflowers needed cutting with those two quite pointless songs in the middle (The Loudest Sound and There is No If) and it would certainly be in my top 5. The only post-Wish album I really like.

I love both of those songs you think they should have cut. The Loudest Sound in particular.

I went with Apart, Deep Green Sea, Cut, and Letter to Elise. I like Friday I'm in Love, but not enough for it to warrant a vote.

I'm glad I re-listened to this, as it has been a long time and the album is better than I remembered.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom