The Cure Survivor - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Run-Off Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please Vote For Your FAVORITE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
In the last round, I accidentally set the timer for too long, and we had a three way tie, so we're going to use the remaining day for a run-off poll for the 3rd song to move on to the next round.

Your options are:

The Kiss
One More Time
Icing Sugar

Please vote for your favorite! This poll will only be open for 24 HOURS!

The Kiss. Pretty please. It's such an awesome guitar track.

It's pleasant, but I really, really love One More Time. All of those fife-y songs from that period are favorites of mine, in fact.

Oh shit. I took the time on the previous poll seriously and hadn't cast my vote. I've just been catching up on the album now, and I'm pretty sure my vote would've broken the tie, because I would've definitely voted for The Kiss.

I'm listening to Just Like Heaven right now and I'm sorry, I don't know how you folk consider the Dinosaur Jr cover inferior. The Cure's version has such a flimsy intro compared to the Dinosaur Jr version, which is more punchy, immediate, and memorable. Don't get me wrong, I really like the original and think it's the best song on the album, but Dinosaur Jr dramatically improved it. Even with the YOOUUUUUU!!!!s.

If you prefer the Dinosaur Jr. cover then you don't get the song, IMO.

It's a romantic sweet, beautiful pop song, and Dinosaur Jr.'s is just rock that has nothing to do with that emotion.

And anyways, it looks like we'll still get your tie-breaker Axxo, so that's good.

We're talking about one of my favorite songs of all time here, and you're trying to convince me that one of the worst covers I have ever heard is superior to it. We're not going to agree :tongue:

I've got to say that I'm surprised Icing Sugar has made it this far. My vote goes to The Kiss.

We're talking about one of my favorite songs of all time here, and you're trying to convince me that one of the worst covers I have ever heard is superior to it. We're not going to agree :tongue:

Yeah, but you don't have to pull the lazy "you just DUNNN GET IT!!!" trick. Like what you like, but I connect with and enjoy more the Dinosaur Jr version.

Ax, if you legitimately love that Just Like Heaven cover, you'll hardly be able to contain your enthusiasm for THIS:

The Shit Hits the Fans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A full hour of drunken garage rock covers of classic songs that couldn't be a worse fit for the band. Featuring I Will Follow!

... I was about to say that'd be awesome, but then I saw it was The Replacements. Pass.

I wouldn't think it's lazy if I backed up what I said, but whatevz. All I was getting at is that I don't think Dinosaur Jr. understand the song. Their version is so messy and lazy, while, like I said, I can't think of a better pop song than "Just Like Heaven".

Yeah, I don't think Dinosaur Jr. tried, honestly. Just listen to the vocals. There's a loose, "fuck it" vibe about the whole thing that keeps me from taking it seriously while also preventing me from disliking it.

All I was getting at is that I don't think Dinosaur Jr. understand the song.

No offense or anything, and I vastly prefer the Cure's version, but you're kinda digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole with these kinds of statements. Somebody has a different perspective on the song and they don't understand it? Right.

Yeah, I don't think Dinosaur Jr. tried, honestly. Just listen to the vocals. There's a loose, "fuck it" vibe about the whole thing that keeps me from taking it seriously while also preventing me from disliking it.

J Mascis' vocals loose? Now that's only exclusive to Just Like Heaven... Not to mention they still play the song at their concerts and it is a fan favorite, which is odd for a cover. That's how much they "didn't try" to do something out of the song and make it appealing. And again, I don't even think the cover is all that.

But Robert Smith disagrees with me:

“Mascis sent me a cassette, and it was so passionate. It was fantastic. I’ve never had such a visceral reaction to a cover version before or since.”

I'm not digging myself into anything, there is no negative impact here for me having a different opinion, so I don't really need to defend myself.

Too bad I didn't say that. I was talking specifically about Dinosaur Jr. There is even a quote by Mascis that they liked how the cover turned out that they decided to make it a single instead of giving it away for a compilation album.

Oh, and about that article - apologies if I don't buy the obligatory mythology that not a single one of those artists "didn't try" on those songs before releasing it. Of course many songs start as jokes or accidents that the songwriters themselves don't take very seriously in the beginning. But it still takes effort to make it what they were, make it 6 hours of production or a lot longer (Teen Spirit belonging to the latter, since there were discussions with Butch Vig as to how to record it).

And I do actually tend to prefer albums or songs that aren't being tinkered with a lot. But there's a difference between over-analyzing something, making something as natural as possible in a short period of time and lastly, not trying at all. Although I'm not necessarily negating the existence of cases where somebody put out something as a joke and that turned out to define their career. Some do come to mind.

Pretty much what I wanted to say has already been said by djerdap, so I'm happy to let this lie.

Back
Top Bottom