The Cure: 4:13 DREAM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a plethora of great tracks on Join the Dots. The Upstairs Room, Fear of Ghosts, This Twilight Garden, and Burn come to mind immediately.

Burn is my favourite Cure song. And it just might be one of my favourite songs in general. The guitars in that song are immense.

u2popmofo said:
Staring at the Sea (cd version of Standing on a Beach) is probably my most listened to "best of" type compilation ever. Listened to it so much before I finally got all their albums.

It's so fucking good. One of the best singles bands of all time (what were the weak singles from 1979-1992 or so?) and the songs are sequenced very nicely.

Wish had some great b-sides.

This Twilight Garden and Scared as You :drool: :drool:

Good news about the Wish reissue. And Djerdap, great call on This Twilight Garden. That must be one of their best songs of the 90s.

All of those b-sides are already on Join the Dots, so they may not be repeated on the Wish reissue. I rather expect we will get some combination of demos, unreleased outtakes, and live performances.

Some of the live performances of From The Edge of the Deep Green Sea from the Wish tour are epic.

Show is one of my favourite live albums in general. Live Cure at its peak.

I can't remember if Show or Staring at the Sea was the first thing I bought of The Cure's. I know one was #1 and one was #2 (strangely, I think Faith was #3...). Anyways, both hold a special place in my heart.

Live wise, I've always really liked "Concert: The Cure Live" as well.

I can't help but think this is one blurb that will turn into a much bigger blurb as soon as all of these festivals are over:

Interviewer: So the last tour was the last tour?

RS: Yes. I haven’t said this for 20 years, but the last tour was the last world tour that I will ever do with The Cure. That tour taxed me so phenomenally. It’s a sad admission, but actually I’ve never, ever performed without taking some kind of stimulant: I can’t do it. My natural state is not one of a performer, it’s like something I’ve been saddled with. I love writing songs, I love writing words, I love singing at home, I love doing demos. We go in the studio, and then we go on stage, and I have to be this performer. I fucking love doing it, but I have to be able to do it my way.

Yikes. Hopefully we're making more out of it than it is (as in, maybe he's just saying "no huge scale incredibly long tours, but we'll still tour").

Regardless, I want a new Cure album. Then again, I can barely remember the last one aside from the first track. I should give it a listen again sometime soon.

Yikes. Hopefully we're making more out of it than it is (as in, maybe he's just saying "no huge scale incredibly long tours, but we'll still tour").

Regardless, I want a new Cure album. Then again, I can barely remember the last one aside from the first track. I should give it a listen again sometime soon.

My feeling like this wasn't based just on that one comment. I've refrained very often from posting Robert doom-and-gloom interview bites hoping that it was just him being him, but this is all too much now. It's all pointing in a "this is the end" direction to me.

Has he just been saying that kind of stuff in regards to touring, or is he hinting at giving up making albums as well?

I saw an interview with him after their show at Rock Werchter and he wasn't as clear as in the article above but he was also saying that he didn't know where they'd go next.

Another thing I learned from the interview is that Smith seems to be an extremely nice guy. I don't know why it jumped out to me so much. Maybe it's because of his looks on stage.

Has he just been saying that kind of stuff in regards to touring, or is he hinting at giving up making albums as well?

The last interview with him I read was pretty much suggesting that they'll never record another album. I thought about starting a general Cure discussion thread to post it in, but was just too depressed to do it. This news about not touring on top of it was just too much.

Well that's far more upsetting to me than the touring news. :(

Then again, he was alluding to Bloodflowers being their last album a ton back in the day, so who knows.

The last interview with him I read was pretty much suggesting that they'll never record another album.

I think that might be for the best. This last decade was not too kind to Robert and co, and I say that as a massive fan.

That's why, much as I did love 4:13 Dream, I'm far more upset by the prospect of them not touring/breaking up.

At least you have the silver lining that there really is no band to break up; I mean, Robert is the band for all intents and purposes. So he could always record again when the whim strikes him, even if it does not come under the Cure moniker.

Honestly, though, I'm looking through interviews now and almost as often as he talks about being done, he talks about recording a new album, so who knows. Apparently he recorded a cover of an XX song and is releasing that soon?

Back
Top Bottom