The Cure: 4:13 DREAM - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Well, the album will still be good. The problem with this reissue is how brutally unnecessary it is. The demos and shit are there for one-listen-only purposes (somebody already mentioned this, and it's sad but true), pretty much, and Entreat already came out. It's good, yeah. It has been good since the late '80s, though. It's not new or necessary. And as for the album and the remastering (ie, compressing), there's again no need. The fucking liner notes tell you SPECIFICALLY just to turn it up. It was intentionally mixed and mastered as it was, and there's this thing called "volume" that can be adjusted by the listener--regardless of the way one listens to the record, he or she can always just change the volume. This release just seems needless.

I love the album, mind you. It is also one of my all-time favorites. I just can't believe that they're going to be charging $20-$40 for something that we already bought, featuring bonuses including stuff we never really needed to hear and other stuff that we already bought.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #77
Blue Meth Addict

I'm not getting how this is any worse or unnecessary than any other reissue for any other album that's ever been released. They're always just easy ways to get your hands on rarities that already existed, live shows that were already out there, etc. I understand if you're just not interested in picking this one up, or a fan of remasters in general, but it's not as if this one is somehow any less necessary than any other reissue that's ever been done. This album is a classic, and most people's favorite Cure album. People have been saying how they can't wait for this remaster since they first began reissuing The Cure's albums, so there's obviously already a huge number of people who'd pick it up even if it didn't have any bonus material.

And by the way, Entreat was 8 songs. This bonus disc will be the full concert/Disintegration album, thus 12 tracks. Those other 4 songs have never been officially released, and the entire show apparently will have been remastered as well.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
People have been saying how they can't wait for this remaster since they first began reissuing The Cure's albums, so there's obviously already a huge number of people who'd pick it up even if it didn't have any bonus material.
That really saddens me. Especially the claim that people would buy the exact same record even if it were, literally, the exact same record. I hope that you are wrong, but you can never give people too little credit.

But yeah, I should clarify--I am generally anti-needless remastering/reissuing. It's not just a Cure thing or a Disintegration thing. I have, however, heard that full Entreat plus a few show dozens and dozens of times. And I am generally pretty anti-The Cure, these days, just because Smith is such a titanic and irrelevant douchebag (more and more with each passing year) and because they've sucked (and sucked their poor-but-blind fans dry) for a looooooooooooooooooooong time, now.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #79
Blue Meth Addict

Yeah, it's been blatantly obvious that you hate them for years now, so I really don't understand why you even care to open threads about them at this point. If you have nothing remotely positive to say, why constantly piss on other people's parade?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
"Underneath The Stars," the album-opener, is very enjoyable, and "The Only One" remains one of the best singles I've heard, this year. It's chock full of Wish-y goodness, as are several of the record's highlights.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If you're not even willing to consider an open dialogue about the band (thereby fulfilling the purpose of a message board), why constantly piss on other people's parade?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 PM
I like remastered stuff because I can put it on shuffle in iTunes and it doesn't go from the right volume to "what the fuck is this? I can't hear it for shit."
Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Infinitely Cheaper
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

I've done that before. It doesn't carry over to the iPod, and it distorts the sound.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That sucks. It carries over to mine with no trouble whatsoever, and really comes in handy for old-timey stuff.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I like remastered stuff because I can put it on shuffle in iTunes and it doesn't go from the right volume to "what the fuck is this? I can't hear it for shit."
You realise you can normalise all the volume on all songs on itunes right? It's a kinda crappy feature, as it makes a lot more sense to do it by album but it's better than nothing. Replaygain is great for lowering the volume on all new albums to something more normal
Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #87
Blue Meth Addict

Shouter, re-reading your post now, I think I took someone what you wrote wrong the the first time (hopefully), as I thought you were implying their "poor" fans must be blind for still liking them, which I took a huge amount of offense to. Hopefully that's not what you were implying, and I'm going to assume for the best that's not what you meant.

Anyways, I still don't see in any way how this reissue is any glaringly worse than any other reissue for any other album by any other band at this point. They all are what they are, I think it's sort of unfair to bash this one for all the negatives that all reissues have.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Anyways, I still don't see in any way how this reissue is any glaringly worse than any other reissue for any other album by any other band at this point. They all are what they are, I think it's sort of unfair to bash this one for all the negatives that all reissues have.
Again, you're right about this (and the rest of your post, too). I am generally (but not always; see the new Jesus Lizard remasters or The Beatles stuff from last month) anti-reissue/-remaster, particularly -remaster. I'm more against this specific one for a few reasons...

1) The Cure has almost exclusively been repackaging and exploiting its old catalogue for literally five years, now. That's embarrassing. This is true of other bands, as well, and that is also embarrassing. They hardly even DO anything, anymore. Note "hardly." When a band begins to cannibalize its fanbase, it is in its death throes.

2) These things are exceedingly expensive, not very well remastered, not very well packaged (given the cost), and as we've agreed on, include very little of genuine, sustainable interest. Is Entreat, in and of itself, worthy of interest? HELL YES, it's awesome. But it's not new, and soundboard-quality, FREE recordings of this show have been in circulation for decades.

3) Robert Smith is an asshole.

And regarding the "blind" fans, I do maintain that anybody who would repurchase an old album, sans ANY extras, simply because he or she can and because it's allegedly "new" is...well, not as smart as a lot of people I know. That doesn't sound crazy. It IS (or would be) crazy. I understand buying the reissues, even if I think they're not worth it, totally unnecessary (again...the volume knob lives on), and not for me--the fact is, there is stuff here worth buying, if you don't already have it (Entreat was a limited release and has been out of print for, like, decades, etc.) and if you really care. It would be crazy to RE-purchase this record, though, if it were just a one-disc, regular-ass version of Disintegration, though. Perhaps I misunderstood your post...? If not, I can't see how we could disagree on this.

I mean, if The Misfits released THE COFFIN II, but the only difference was that it was a new pressing or 10 khz louder, would you buy it? I sure as shit wouldn't. The first one still does the trick.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
You realise you can normalise all the volume on all songs on itunes right? It's a kinda crappy feature, as it makes a lot more sense to do it by album but it's better than nothing. Replaygain is great for lowering the volume on all new albums to something more normal
I've always thought things sounded very strange when lowered or raised on iTunes. Like if it's lowered, it's thinner and if it's raised it's distorted. And everything sounds thinner when using the "sound check" option. But maybe that's just me?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #90
Blue Meth Addict

This is kinda cool...well....not really....but it's something.

Pitchfork: Cure's Robert Smith, Franz Ferdinand Do Alice in Wonderland Songs

Tags
the cure