The Cult - Choice of Weapon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
Owing to their Super Bowl commercial and the push to start more individual threads in B&C, I thought I should make one for The Cult. They actually do have a new album out in May, Choice of Weapon.

The Cult had a great run in the late 80's and (arguably) the early 90's. The most interesting part of their history is probably them reinventing themselves from post-punk to alternative metal between Love and Electric.

They had actually recorded a follow-up to Love titled "Peace" with their traditional post-punk sound, but they ended up scrapping it and having Rick Rubin reproduce it as "Electric" with a much harder edge. The complete Peace album is available in "The Cult" box set and it's an interesting listen.

Love-Electric-Sonic Temple was a great run. Ceremony was pretty good but I could have done without the Native-American mysticism, especially from a British band. The Ceremony tour is the only time I've seen them live. Great show. Nothing since then has been worth writing home about, but I'll probably give the new album a whirl, if for no other reason than Billy Duffy can flat out shred.

That terrible rap song over She Sells Sanctuary upset me so much that I blocked the horror from my memory until you mentioned it here again. Thanks a lot, Danny.

That terrible rap song over She Sells Sanctuary upset me so much that I blocked the horror from my memory until you mentioned it here again. Thanks a lot, Danny.

I really like that song by itself, the decision to mash them together, however, was strange.

Love and Sonic Temple are great albums. I'm skeptical if they will be able to capture that magic 25 years later.

I only know the song they had in Guitar Hero, Love Removal Machine. Very fun.

Also, the Doors movie blows seriously hard.

I didn't think I knew anything about these guys. This thread inspired me to check them out a bit, and I've just gone to their Spotify page and found that the lead riff on "She Sells Sanctuary" both kicks ass and is very familiar. I've heard this before.

I've also definitely heard "Fire Woman" before, too. Must have just been on a classic rock station or something. Or maybe a movie. The guitar playing on these is really cool.

Lead singer's voice seems like it might be a bit derivative, though. Who does he sound like? The Morrison comparison can definitely be made. I also hear a lot of Billy Idol in there, too. And somebody else that I can't quite think of. I like the voice, it's just that it reminds me so much of other people that it's hard to completely get lost in it.

The new single, Lucifer, is out. Way too heavy (and Satanic) for my tastes.

lucifer_600.jpg

+ THE CULT +

Oh well, can't say my expectations were very high.

I saw them live in 1986 and they were great live despite Astbury being in a leg cast on crutches and doing the entire show from a chair on stage. Unfortunately idiot audience booed him and threw stuff at him because he wasn't moving around. :doh: I thought it was preferable to canceling the show. It was a good year to see them.

Back
Top Bottom