The Count of Tuscany presents: the majestic Dream Theater thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Oh, "Faythe" as in faith. As in an Act of Faith.

...fuck you John Petrucci.
Emperor NAFARYUS.

Just think about it for a minute, then imagine Petrucci is right in front of you and punch him in the face.

(Also, were these writeups done by a ten year old? I haven't seen writing this cheesily amateurish this side of primary school.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
It sounds like it'd be...quite an interesting adventure .
An adventure upon which I shall not embark without a good supply of alcohol!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:29 PM
So I'm listening to the album now, because I still really like their music, and I gotta say: Not a lot different here from what they've been doing lately. Just big 80s power ballad stuff, with random thrashing solos every now and again.

It's not their best.

It's not their worst.

It has really silly moments, like, really, stupid, stupid silly. But I'm still at least entertained.

Now, I say that of course, only 1/3rd of the way through, so maybe my opinion will change at some point.

Anyways, I also think Count of Tuscany is a great song, so there's that.

There's clearly two different kinds of Dream Theater fans, and I'm starting to realize I might be in that other category of people who mostly just like what they do, while knowing it's not as good as it was.

EDIT: Coincidentally while I was writing this I got to easily the worst song on the album, thusfar. Hope you all enjoy Three Days. The Trail, eat your heart out.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
An adventure upon which I shall not embark without a good supply of alcohol!
LOL, hey, whatever helps, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
There's clearly two different kinds of Dream Theater fans, and I'm starting to realize I might be in that other category of people who mostly just like what they do, while knowing it's not as good as it was.
I'm like that with my favorite artists in general, too. Like, yeah, my favorite bands will sometimes do albums that aren't my favorites and that I don't listen to much, but I'm usually bound to like something in every album they put out, if not the entire album itself. Like you said, I just mostly like what they do, and that works for me.

I'm glad you're finding some stuff to enjoy on here! Gives this thread a little more variety of opinions and perspectives .
Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #19
Vocal parasite

Out of those of us on this forum who've taken a long-term interest in Dream Theater, I really don't think that if you'd been told some years ago to predict which one of us would still take enjoyment in them, you'd have picked Ashley.

Hell, you'd probably have said me.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-30-2016, 12:20 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

You didn't like them anymore when you introduced me to them!

This album is a lot of fun. I'm not bored, *yet*, but I did take a ten minute break halfway through. I really like "The X Aspect" and "A New Beginning"..

It's a fucking cornball fest, though.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #21
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You didn't like them anymore when you introduced me to them!
I'm trying to recall when I fully turned against them. Even around 2009 I rated Images & Words and Awake quite highly. Though checking last.fm, my plays fall off hard that year. The only years since 2005 in which I've listened to no Dream Theater at all, though, are 2010 and 2015. The others from 2011 have a once or twice yearly play of bits of I&W and Awake, plus a listen to each of the new albums.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #22
The Male

I love the "midlife crisis" thread tag.

I've been listening to rock operas tonight to prepare me for the ASTONISHING. Just finished Tommy, now I'm listening to this little number:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...imon_simopath/

Which I've been assured is one of the founding albums of the genre.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #23
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The most genius tag of late has got to be the "von schloopen" one on the personally offended band changes thread.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

I've been listening to rock operas tonight to prepare me for the ASTONISHING. Just finished Tommy, now I'm listening to this little number:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...imon_simopath/

Which I've been assured is one of the founding albums of the genre.
You have completed me, LeMel. Now when I get into boring discussions about Nirvana, I have some further ammunition to work with.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #25
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
You have completed me, LeMel. Now when I get into boring discussions about Nirvana, I have some further ammunition to work with.
The Story Of Simon Simopath is the debut album by British psychedelic band Nirvana, released by Island Records in 1967. The lyrics trace the story from life to death of the titular hero via a series of short songs. The story deals with a boy named Simon Simopath who dreams of having wings. He is unpopular at school, and after reaching adulthood (in 1999) goes to work in an office in front of a computer. He suffers a nervous breakdown and is unable to find help in a mental institution, but gets aboard a rocket and meets a centaur who will be his friend and a tiny goddess named Magdalena, who works at Pentecost Hotel. Simon and Magdalena fall in love and get married, followed by a jazzy party.

Kurt's life in sum.

It's a very pleasant album but somewhat too soft and twee. I'd rather listen to SF Sorrow or Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake if I were going this route. It is, however, only 25 minutes long and an interesting historical curiosity.

Now.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Their jazz cover of Iron Maiden's "Gangland" is actually pretty neat, and shows that they once had feel and groove, even with Rudess in the band.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Would anyone be opposed to start this dumb thing earlier? I just got summoned to do a thing. (maybe start in 30 minutes?)
Old 01-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #28
The Male

I've got to wait a bit. I can move it to midnight, so an hour earlier.

Now.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:49 AM   #29
Vocal parasite

I can roll with whenever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-30-2016, 01:52 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Blah, sorry, I'm out for tonight. I WILL listen to this heaping pile of rubbish tomorrow. Promise.

Tags
begin again and again, carcinogenic, circus music, destiny, disney soundtrack, dream theater, filler, gotta have faythe, kill the ravens, lord nefarious, mary sue, midlife crisis, muse vs nomacs, no betrayal tonight, prog metal, progressive metal, regifting, the astonishing, the gift of music