The Complete New Order Music Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hell, I'll give it a go. Their contemporaries Pet Shop Boys dropped a really strong album a few years ago, so I'll stay open-minded.

Ehh. Not crazy about the backup singers, or the fact that Bernard's guitar doesn't even appear until 3:00 in (and not for long).

And no pun intended, but I'm not really hearing a hook here.

It will be at least tolerable, surely. They're not embarrassing themselves, but they also haven't given us a great song since "Regret"

Krafty, Waiting For The Sirens' Call, Close Range, and Vicious Streak are all great, for starters.

None as great as Regret, but that's a perfect pop song and a very high bar to reach again.

"First three albums"? Movement is pretty disposable, as they clearly hadn't found their sound yet, while fourth album Brotherhood is their best IMO.

Get Ready is their best and one of my favorite albums of the 2000s.

Crystal, Primitive Notion, Someone Like You, Close Range, Vicious Streak, 60 Miles an Hour... all fantastic tracks.

Yep.

Low-Life is my pick for favourite NO album. The 4 song stretch from The Perfect Kiss to Elegia is fantastic. Technique is thereabouts as well.

Crystal, Primitive Notion, Someone Like You, Close Range, Vicious Streak, 60 Miles an Hour... all fantastic tracks.

Correct.

:hi5: I thought I was alone on this.

It's also in my all-time Top 10. That first side just blew me away when I first heard it because none of those songs got airplay or were on Substance (many people's first exposure to the band). I think Bernard's guitar work/solos are fantastic.

Then of course you have Bizarre Love Triangle (even if the remix is better), the gorgeous downbeat All Day Long, and that amazing closer Every Little Counts with its celestial finish hijacked by the spin of a radio dial.

Movement is good, but not excellent. There's some really good stuff on there (Dreams Never End, The Him) but also some stuff that drags.

There are two really great songs on Brotherhood (Weirdo and Way of Life), and the rest is awful hot garbage. Bizarre Love Triangle is great in the single mix, but the album version is totally neutered.

(then again, any time they put a single on an album, it got ruined by being edited down. Exception: The Perfect Kiss on Low-Life - the album version isn't as good as the single version, but it still works.)

Power Corruption and Lies, and Low-Life are both staggeringly good. There's not a single song that isn't great on either of them.

You previously said "nowhere near the level of their first three albums" and then go on to say that Movement is merely "good"?

And you trashed Brotherhood without any explanation. So basically, you're not a fan.

Forgive me for disregarding anything else you have to say about this band.

State of the Nation would have to be my favourite off Brotherhood. I'm not sure how highly it's rated among NO fans, but I felt it was killer from first listen.

You previously said "nowhere near the level of their first three albums" and then go on to say that Movement is merely "good"?

And you trashed Brotherhood without any explanation. So basically, you're not a fan.

Forgive me for disregarding anything else you have to say about this band.

I get that you like to go out of your way to start conflict, but let me make this really clear and simple, so you can't possibly misinterpret this.

Let's say there are two basic levels within which you can judge music, and there are sub-levels within it. Those two levels are "good" and "bad". Within "good" you can have sub levels, like "excellent", "great", "good", and within "bad" you can have sub levels like "bad", "horrible", "atrocious", etc.

The first three New Order albums go into the first category, "good". Within that, you have Movement, which is "good", Power Corruption and Lies, which is "excellent", and Low-Life, which is "excellent".

Other New Order albums go into the second category, "bad". This includes Brotherhood, which is a "bad" album, because, as I have stated in the original post;

There are two really great songs on Brotherhood (Weirdo and Way of Life), and the rest is awful hot garbage. Bizarre Love Triangle is great in the single mix, but the album version is totally neutered.

You make that because I choose to have a negative opinion about a band's work, that "I'm basically not a fan" and that "I'll disregard any opinion you have about this band." You're perfectly welcome to do the latter, but to infer that I am not a New Order fan because I view one of their albums in a negative light is an incredibly poor argument.

You're not a fan Liam. Shut up!

Oh, I apologise! My bad, I'll take "Age Of Consent" off the list of my favourite songs ever, because I'm obviously not enough of a fan to have it on there!

I hope you'll accept my apology! I really do, I just want to appreciate "World In Motion" for the artistic brilliance that it is!

:wink:

Every real New Order fan thinks Age of Consent is overrated!

"Hot garbage" isn't exactly a substantitive critique. You single out two songs and point to a third as being neutered. Doesn't really explain what's wrong with the rest of the album.

When you're talking about an album that has a 4-star average on Amazon user reviews, and a 4.5 average on All Music (the same as Power, Corruption and Lies as well as Low-Life and Technique), that doesn't really cut it.

I know that when I consider myself a fan of a band, I don't dismiss widely-acclaimed albums so casually.

Brotherhood isn't even close to a bad album. I can't make Liam's ears work properly, however, so all I can do is shrug and move on.

When you're talking about an album that has a 4-star average on Amazon user reviews, and a 4.5 average on All Music (the same as Power, Corruption and Lies as well as Low-Life and Technique), that doesn't really cut it.

You forgot Metacritic.

And Pitchfork.

Not to mention The Dean.

waiting for the sirens' call is an underrated (is it underrated? idk) album.

IMO

I agree. I especially enjoy the first three tracks. I always thought Krafty was a weak single though.

I enjoy Lost Sirens as well. It has a much better version of I Told You So and songs like Californian Grass and Hellbent are just ridiculously catchy.

an album that has a 4-star average on Amazon user reviews, and a 4.5 average on All Music

Who gives a shit? You do realise that appeals to popularity are fallacious arguments, right?

A 4/5 isn't even an especially good customer score for a golden age album by a popular band. I'm surprised it's that low and that Laz would use such a score as evidence of the album's value.

Back
Top Bottom