The Clash - Live at Shea Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
This mambo jambo is finally getting released as an album in October (just in time for my birthday), and I am psyched.

The Clash's Shea Stadium Gig Heading To CD

Long bootlegged and sought after by collectors, the Clash's Oct. 13, 1982, performance at New York's Shea Stadium will finally see official release Oct. 7 via Legacy.

The gig found the Clash opening for the Who on the latter band's "farewell" tour, and features a wealth of favorites, from "London Calling" and "Police on My Back" to "The Magnificent Seven" and "Clampdown."

The band, which at the time was touring in support of its recent album "Combat Rock," also offered up the singles from that effort, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock the Casbah." According to Legacy, late guitarist Joe Strummer found the Shea tapes while preparing to move into a new house.

Live at Shea Stadium:

01 Kosmo Vinyl Introduction
02 London Calling
03 Police on My Back
04 The Guns of Brixton
05 Tommy Gun
06 The Magnificent Seven
07 Armagideon Time
08 The Magnificent Seven (Return)
09 Rock the Casbah
10 Train in Vain
11 Career Opportunities
12 Spanish Bombs
13 Clampdown
14 English Civil War
15 Should I Stay or Should I Go
16 I Fought the Law

I was there.
The Clash opening for The Who, my first trip to NYC, first experience with a ticket scalper.
Not a bad night for a teenager.

emot-huh.gif

This is coming out Tuesday. (Oct. 7th)

51PAHMQ1OLL._SS500_.jpg

Yayayayayayayayayayayayzzzz

I have two of their albums: The Clash and London Calling. Anything else worth getting?

I wasn't a big fan of Combat Rock myself. Although I don't think I've listened to it in at least a decade.

That's a weird one, because it has some of their all time biggest singles mixed with some less than stellar tracks. Stellar part:

Know Your Rights (Yertle once called this the best album opener ever, he may have a point)
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Rock the Casbah
Straight to Hell
Ghetto Defendant (this one has grown on me after realizing what I used to think was a "random voice" is actually Allan Ginsberg)

Not so stellar part:
Everything else.

There's definitely a lot of fluff on it (7 of 12 tracks...), which makes it crap to listen to in full. Apparently it was the band's biggest album sales wise when it was released, I assume (and hope) London Calling has sold more than it in the last 26 years.

and all three of the joe strummer & the mescaleros albums are necessary for you to own.

joe = god, people. remember this.

Stopped by Best Buy at lunch and they didn't have any copies... :angry:

Called my local independent store, and they have it though. I'll have to stop by after work.

Raise a toast to Saint Joe Strummer, I think he might have been our only decent teacher.

that album is growing on me. you know how a song sounds strangely a lot better when you hear it unexpectedly, even if you don't particularly like it when you listen to it intentionally? i walked into a record store while that song was playing, and i was happy to hear it. and equally pleased when "sequestered in memphis" came up next. :up:

basically, this thread reminds me i bought the future is unwritten dvd something like a month ago and still haven't watched it yet. :tsk:

Solid review for it on Popmatters:

The Clash: Live at Shea Stadium < Music | PopMatters

I've only listened to it once so far, I thought the sound quality was quite good. Pretty similar to the Live: From Here to Eternity in that regard. I really liked Police On My Back, Tommy Gun, Career Opportunities, and Clampdown the first time through. Not sure what I think about this live version of Rock the Casbah, interesting.

I've failed to mention it, but I absolutely love the album cover. May end up being my computer background at some point, good stuff.

I only have Streetcore, which I freaking LOVE.

So maybe I should add some more records to my Tower.com bag?

I don't have any of his solo stuff either but after I saw that documentary last winter (The Future is Unwritten) I wanted to buy everything he ever did. But I haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom