The Clash Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RMT + The Clash = the same tired debate about London Calling. :yawn:

I take it Mick Jones didnt make enough money off the Big Audio Dynamite reunion?

I'm only dimly aware that there even is a new set. I can't imagine it includes anything I don't already own (or since this is The Clash we're talking about, can't imagine it includes anything I don't own at least two or three copies of already).

I was looking at a list of what was in the box earlier, and I feel like it would've been prudent to list the fact that it came with badges and dog tags BEFORE it listed that it had a badges and dogtags holder. That seemed like the single-most random inclusion for a box set I had ever encountered.

I looked at what was in it. Against all logic, I want it. I'm quite over non-music or DVD related items (I.e. posters, buttons, whatever) from box sets, and pretty much over the DVD stuff from them (I never even watched the one in the darkness on the edge of town remaster set). Remastered albums are totally unnecessary when the originals in question don't need to change (well, remastered give em enough rope perhaps, i would be interested in that. the others, no. and no amount of remastering is going to make the songs that aren't titled "straight to hell" on combat rock not suck). Extras and rarities are fun, and that's the real place want vs need is coming in, but in reality, I listen to that stuff once and then never go back to it. Yet with bands like The Clash, I'm going to fall for it every single time. This thing won't be an exception.

Weird that it includes demos and live stuff and such, but does not include one of their legitimate releases.

Weird that it includes demos and live stuff and such, but does not include one of their legitimate releases.

"Along with remastered versions of all five Clash LPs (1977's The Clash, 1978's Give 'Em Enough Rope, 1979's London Calling, 1980's Sandinista!, and 1982's Combat Rock)"

Unless pitchfork lies. I didn't even realize that was whose blurb I'd read til I went back to paste that. Fitting for this place, I suppose.

Cut the crap, IWB.

It's also weird I think of Operation Ivy when I hear the name of The Clash set.

What? They actually remastered that turd*?

* I still like This is England.

on an entirely different note, i just noticed wtf is up with my location. i didn't do that.

What? They actually remastered that turd*? * I still like This is England.

What I said was that "Cut The Crap" was not included in the box set. The title of that turd album was self- fulfilling when making a decision to include this or not.

Therefore they Cut The Crap out of the Box!

What you said was "no cut the crap on boom box, they just did that."

They just did what? What is "that" supposed to be? The implication is that it's not on this box set as a remaster because they just released the album in some format. I doubt that actually happened, but on the Internet, where inflection and tone are only conveyed with grammar, it's the only possible meaning I get out of that second clause.

I caught some of the interview with Mick, Paul and Topper on Radio 2 last weekend and it made me think that they have cut Bernie Rhodes out of any involvement in current Clash business. Hence no CTC. Was there a law suit against him, maybe?

Or because two of those three guys weren't even in the band at that point, it's generally regarded by anyone who has ever been able to stomach it as beyond embarrassingly awful, by the early 90s Joe Strummer had even disowned it, etc. 99% of people who are aware of its existence won't even consider it a Clash album.

Yes, This is England is fantastic. The other song and a half I struggled through were the opposite of fantastic.

But didn't they cut Bernie Rhodes out years ago? For extra credit: does any other band out there have more songs about their manager being a shitbag?

Back
Top Bottom