The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's awesome :D ... I'm so glad the power came back on, just in time! Crap, that must of been some windstorm :ohmy:

It was -- hurricane force winds. Gusts over 75 miles per hour. But the sky was clear and sunny, no rain at all, and the weather has been just beautiful since. They don't expect to get everyone's power back until Sunday or even Monday.

"A SONG about nothing and the band didn't really like it." That's pretty funny :lol: That is so brilliant though - such an honour!

Y'know, when Painkiller first arrived, I didn't want to even open it up out of it's plastic packaging! It looked so beautiful, I really did spend some time just staring at the artwork ... the back cover especially seems almost hypnotic! But .. once I started listening to it, I haven't been able to stop! Yeah, I wasn't really thinking what it was going to be or sound like ... I was just excited to receive it with a totally open mind ... I just think it's amazing :love: Can't wait to hear your thoughts when your copy arrives!

I'm really looking forward to getting it. Maybe sometime next week....

So tonight I had the choice of watching the first presidential debate or listening to Painkiller. What to do, what to do...? :hmm:

HA! As if there was any contest. :lmao: Of course, I listened to Painkiller. I figured I would get a lot more out of it than I would out of the debate. :D

(It actually arrived Monday, but when I tried to listen to it my power went out for several hours so I went to bed and gave it another try a couple of days later.)

So tonight I had the choice of watching the first presidential debate or listening to Painkiller. What to do, what to do...? :hmm:

Good choice. (No matter what Painkiller sounded like)

so .............!?!?!??!?!?!

whaddya think!!!!! :hyper: I'm so glad it finally arrived!

I'm enjoying it a lot -- playing it a lot too. I'm trying not to think too much about each song, but just let them play and enjoy. It's definitely a keeper. :yes:

Good choice. (No matter what Painkiller sounded like)

Yeah, I thought so too. I mean it's not as if I was listening to recordings of thunderstorms and whale calls. ...oh...wait... :shifty:

I'm not quite sure why there are thunderstorms and whale calls on Painkiller, but there are. I just nod my head knowingly. :)

(I might watch the Veep debate though -- it has great potential to be absolutely amazing. :D )

Well i spent last night in front of the telly (it's always a good idea not to go to the pub on Grand Final night :wink: ) and I watched Great Australian Albums with Powderfinger. And seriously, if Powderfuckinfinger can get their meh album featured, then SK can agree to having Starfish on. Particularly now that UTMW is the best Australian song of all time (did I enjoy reading my Weekend Australian when that article appeared :D )

Well i spent last night in front of the telly (it's always a good idea not to go to the pub on Grand Final night :wink: ) and I watched Great Australian Albums with Powderfinger. And seriously, if Powderfuckinfinger can get their meh album featured, then SK can agree to having Starfish on. Particularly now that UTMW is the best Australian song of all time (did I enjoy reading my Weekend Australian when that article appeared :D )

:sigh: I know, SK can be a stubborn shit. :angry: However...the band just did this swanky corporate gig -- the David Jones American Express card launch -- and SK seems to have actually enjoyed it. He even wrote "well i kinda hadda good time" !!! Holy shit! It's a miracle!! :D So maybe they will be more willing to do some of these other things. Sometimes I think for smart guys they are mighty slow learners.

Another lovely tidbit from SK's blog today: "start up costs for next u.s. tour"

YES!!!!!! :D :D :D

Well here's something I never thought I'd see -- The Church in Vogue. :ohmy: The online version of Australian Vogue.

Here's the page.

:ohmy: You know, something really strange happened this morning! I picked up a copy of Vogue magazine (which I haven't bought in aaaages!!) at the newsagency .. it was really weird, like I was so drawn to it!

Then .. later on this afternoon, I read TTB blog again, and saw that Vogue online link thingy .. spooky! :ohmy:

^

:lol:

Does anyone else think the radiotronics on Painkiller sometimes sound suspiciously like a wobble board? :shifty: It's like some alternate universe where Steve Kilbey and Rolf Harris have merged briefly. :lol:

When I first listened to 'Oneone', I was thinking that Steve was whispering 'Melissa' around the 3 min mark .... but he's really saying 'well, listen'

still, it sounded funny at first :ohmy::shifty:

Well here's something I never thought I'd see -- The Church in Vogue. :ohmy: The online version of Australian Vogue.

Here's the page.

That's hysterical!!!! They really are an ornery bunch of bastards, aren't they??? :wink:

But what the hell's happened to MWP. Did he just crawl out of the desert, he's looking mighty, well, hairy....:ohmy:

When I first listened to 'Oneone', I was thinking that Steve was whispering 'Melissa' around the 3 min mark .... but he's really saying 'well, listen'

still, it sounded funny at first :ohmy::shifty:

It does sound like he's saying Melissa! You know SL often says his songs mean what listeners want them to mean, so....hey, Melissa it is! :D

That's hysterical!!!! They really are an ornery bunch of bastards, aren't they??? :wink:

But what the hell's happened to MWP. Did he just crawl out of the desert, he's looking mighty, well, hairy....:ohmy:

Hence the title of this thread. ;)

He does kinda have that mountain man thing going on. I wonder what made him decide to do that. Maybe he's just to broke to buy razors. :D

And bless SK -- he yet again saved me from the horror of having to listen to the presidential debates. I'd sent him some stuff and he called to let me know he got it -- just as last night's debate was getting going. He can be a mighty chatty fellow so by the time we finished up, the dastardly thing was over. Good timing, Steve! :D

all that Marty hair will keep him warm for the northern winter :love:

ohhhh noooooo ... I just read on TTB that the Melbourne Painkiller gig in December is cancelled

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe this might mean a little mini-holiday up to Sydney for an early Xmas present :hyper:

all that Marty hair will keep him warm for the northern winter :love:

ohhhh noooooo ... I just read on TTB that the Melbourne Painkiller gig in December is cancelled

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe this might mean a little mini-holiday up to Sydney for an early Xmas present :hyper:

It is bizarre at first to hear Marty's voice coming out of that face with all that hair. He's the one member of the Church I never expected to have a beard. It kinda seems a shame to cover up that face. :(

I saw the bit about the Melbourne gig being cancelled. :sad: That sucks...I wonder what happened. You know I think SK enjoyed it so much that I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Painkiller gigs scheduled, so I'd be keeping an eye out for them. And I vote for you to do an early Xmas present trip! :yes:

And here is another pic from the AmEx launch thingie the Church did. From the looks on all the other guys faces I think SK must have just come up with a real zinger. I'd love to know what he was saying when this pic was taken. :lol:

churchatamexlaunch-1.jpg

:D

oh Indra, thankyou so much for posting that gorgeous photo!!! I LOVE it! :lol: I think he is a cheeky boy, is Steve! :D Hmmmmm ... yeah, maybe it's time to take off the beard Marty .. though, he can keep his long hair I think, it's rather lovely!

I think I might have to head up to Sydney for the Painkiller gig, why not :D I think it would make an excellent Xmas present!! I'll have to find out how to obtain tix as well, come to think of it .. I'll do a little research now :hyper:

It looks as if The Church are supporting David Byrne on his Aussie tour in February. Great news if you are fans of both.

link

Don't know any details yet.

And if anyone -- that pretty much means you, Trance Ending ;) -- wants to see the Triffids gig in Melbourne (29 January at Hamer Hall), the tickets are now on sale. Here's a link for tickets.

Looks like Rage is having a Church-fest tonight. Time to crank up the VCR....

THE CHURCH Unguarded Moment (EMI)
3:00am
THE CHURCH Tear It All Away (EMI)
THE CHURCH Almost With You (EMI)
THE CHURCH Different Man (EMI)
THE CHURCH Electric Lash (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Tantalized (EMI)
THE CHURCH Under The Milky Way (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Reptile (Mushroom)
3:30am
THE CHURCH Metropolis (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Two Places At Once (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Louisiana (Festival)
THE CHURCH Song In Space (Shock)
THE CHURCH Easy (Liberation)

Followed by 2 hours of Paul Kelly. Someone at the ABC has taste....

Damn...that's a nice bunch of songs. :)

And apparently the David Byrne support spot is off. Or OFF as SK put it in his blog. I wonder who had a hissy fit? :hmm:

Looks like Rage is having a Church-fest tonight. Time to crank up the VCR....

THE CHURCH Unguarded Moment (EMI)
3:00am
THE CHURCH Tear It All Away (EMI)
THE CHURCH Almost With You (EMI)
THE CHURCH Different Man (EMI)
THE CHURCH Electric Lash (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Tantalized (EMI)
THE CHURCH Under The Milky Way (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Reptile (Mushroom)
3:30am
THE CHURCH Metropolis (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Two Places At Once (Mushroom)
THE CHURCH Louisiana (Festival)
THE CHURCH Song In Space (Shock)
THE CHURCH Easy (Liberation)

Followed by 2 hours of Paul Kelly. Someone at the ABC has taste....

:angry: crap, crap, crap! I missed that :rant:

I guess I've got most of those videos on the dvd .. 'cept the last three ones .... awwwwwww :sad:

And if anyone -- that pretty much means you, Trance Ending ;) -- wants to see the Triffids gig in Melbourne (29 January at Hamer Hall), the tickets are now on sale. Here's a link for tickets.

:hyper: :love: :hyper:

yay, yep ... got my ticket last week for the concert! So excited!!! I bought my sister a ticket for a Christmas present too :D

I bought myself an amazing new magic camera up in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago when I was on holidays :heart: So I'm hoping I can get some good photo's from the show!

I was checking out the ticket prices for the music festival (Golden Plains??) that the Church will be playing at in February ... but I'm fairly certain they're around $220 :ohmy:

So I might have to give that a miss :wink:

Coincidences, Part XXXXVVVVIIIIII....

Re-reading some ancient NME's in my mother's house and found one from 1986, The Church playing the Town and Country Club, London, with their "new album, Heyday". Who should be supporting them?

The Escape Club :lol:

Coincidences, Part XXXXVVVVIIIIII....

Re-reading some ancient NME's in my mother's house and found one from 1986, The Church playing the Town and Country Club, London, with their "new album, Heyday". Who should be supporting them?

The Escape Club :lol:

:lmao:

Their new album is due out in March, and I immediately thought "oh great. That's when the new U2 album will be out too -- no one will hear the Church's album." :angry:

Then I thought "oh hell, no one will hear the Church's new album anyway!" :lol:

:sad: :sigh:

:hug:
The way people are predicting things in WTAHAN, noone's gonna be listening to the new U2 album after about a week....

Haha! Somehow I doubt U2 will be playing a dive in Cleveland anytime soon though. :D

Eh, I think many people just like to bitch. I'm not overly fond of the new single myself, but it does seem to be getting pretty decent critical reviews.

Back
Top Bottom