The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, we got to 500 posts in the first Church thread, so here's a new one.

I'll start this thread off with a pic. This was from 2003.

church_pic2_tony_mott.jpg

Now on to 499 more posts about all things Church and Churchlings! :)

I say that with great affection. :yes:

But come to think of it they haven't really been very cranky lately. Positively giddy is more like it. They'll have to fix that. :wink:

SK dancing...who would have ever thought that would happen? :laugh: I think I remember a quote from him about never dancing in his life. I should see if I can dig that up....

I do like the 5 or 6 Church songs I've heard......

Especially Metropolis....utterly gorgeous...

indra said:
Now on to 499 more posts about all things Church and Churchlings! :)

:wave: Loved reading the last thread........keep it up Indra & Co.

I keep meaning to ask you all - can't recall if was discussed in the last thread :reject: what do you think of Grant Lee Phillips version of 'Under a Milky Way'?

Woo hoo!! New thread!!!! Nice title :up: :wink:

Thanks for the pics Trance. Of course I'll have to see the tache in person to make a full and concise judgement but, not bad, not bad... :D

And Grant Lee Phillips! I luuuurrvvvvvee Grant Lee (you may notice by now I lurrvvee a lot of people :wink: ) and I lurrve his version. It's very, well, Grant Lee! :lol:

indra said:
I say that with great affection. :yes:

I know, it made me laugh :giggle: Cranky or giddy, we love 'em to bits. Though, giddy IS good ... maybe dancing demonstrations will become a regular feature at concerts!

intedomine said:

:D :up: Keep listening and discovering their music, you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and you're from Melbourne too .. yay! If you fancy checking The Church out live, they are playing at the Harvest Festival, down on the Mornington Peninsula on Jan 21. It'll be a wonderful day! Buy a ticket for yourself for Christmas!! :wink:

http://www.harvestfestival.com.au/performers.htm

haha :laugh:

I got a mention (well an indirect one :wink: ) in today's Church newsletter from the official website, to check out a couple of photo's (and well, MWPs moustache!) I sent in to the Eclectica section the other day!

Woo hoo .. fame at last! :wink:

Happy Festive Season to you all :hug: Wish I was spending my Chrissie up in Sydney *sobs* :sad: but can't be too greedy I suppose!

intedomine said:

I always liked a few Church tunes, then Indra hooked me up with a CD's worth of songs of theirs, which I liked a lot.

I've liked Metropolis since it was released, though, and it's a song I often recommend to people that want to hear something new, or, new to them. Everyone likes it, despite their tastes, at least in my experience.

TranceEnding said:
haha :laugh:

I got a mention (well an indirect one :wink: ) in today's Church newsletter from the official website, to check out a couple of photo's (and well, MWPs moustache!) I sent in to the Eclectica section the other day!

Woo hoo .. fame at last! :wink:

Happy Festive Season to you all :hug: Wish I was spending my Chrissie up in Sydney *sobs* :sad: but can't be too greedy I suppose!

I saw that!! Yay! I was tickled to see it. :) I'm kind of surprised there aren't more shots of MWP and his moustache, but perhaps it's just that so many fans are in denial about it. :wink:

I got a mention in SK's blog! He called me "very naughty." :D

I was just thinking of the Vegetarian Spacecake gig and how it's either just about to start or currently going on, and as sad as I am to miss it I think it's easier for me as I never had even an outside chance to go. I know I was dying this past summer when the band was playing in Detroit -- a mere 200 miles away -- and I was sitting at home. :sad: Of course I got to see them two days later, but I wanted to see that show too dammit! :grumpy:

Hmm. Reading intedomine's and no spoken word's comments about Metropolis makes me think I should make sure to include it on any Church samplers I make for people from now on.

Last edited:
I love these guys.
They just keep churning them out don't they?
The last few albums have had some real gems on them.
"Uninvited Like The Clouds" is on my Top 10 of 2006!!!
The way these guys are going I bet they have a new album for 2007.

indra said:

I got a mention in SK's blog! He called me "very naughty." :D

:giggle: Loved that! :wink:

It's very strange, because I just woke up before feeling very disorientated .. I must of been dreaming that I was at the gig last night :wink: I stumbled down the stairs thinking ... huh?! where am I .. what day is it?!!? :wink:

I know exactly how you feel now about missing out on a show .. I'm really feeling it at the moment too! It just doesn't seem right to miss out does it?!? :wink: The little bits and pieces that I've read so far about the Basement show sound wonderful ... 'Tantalized' and 'Block' ... sigh! Oooh, I remember now that SK mentioned (at the MWPvsSK show) that 'Tantalized' was going to make an appearance at the next CD launch show (early in the new year .. at Manchester Lane, like the last one back in March) OR on the new album. Can't remember which one now :huh: maybe both, haha!

You know, I'm a big 'Metropolis' fan myself :wink: ... it's such a beautifully constructed song musically I think :) You know, the guitar riff at the end still gives me goose-bumps .. it's just gorgeous. I've been thinking about making a mixed Churchy CD (or 3!) for a friend of mine over in Perth that I'll probably be catching up with when I go and visit next month. Once I actually figure out how to make one on the computer :wink: ... the hardest part would be what songs to include (everything?!?) !!

Harry Vest said:
"Uninvited Like The Clouds" is on my Top 10 of 2006!!!

:up: that's fantastic! I'm particularly fond of 'Never Before' .. especially after hearing it live back in October :hyper: just incredible. And not to forget 'Block' .. I'm still addicted to this song! :drool:

I agree, the band have released an amazing amount of work, especially in the last few years, which pleases me no end :) Even after 20-odd years of fanship, I'm still completely in awe of these guys!

Aaaand, yes! There IS a new album coming soon in 2007!! :hyper:

TranceEnding said:
I've been thinking about making a mixed Churchy CD (or 3!) for a friend of mine over in Perth that I'll probably be catching up with when I go and visit next month. Once I actually figure out how to make one on the computer :wink:

TE - Hey could i be the "friend" in Perth?????? Just bring the cds over and I'll make my own cds :lol:

Hey i was on a winery tour in the swan valley yesterday:drunk: TE i have to take you up there when you come over in January its a great day ..believe me :drunk: Anyhow we visited Sandleford Winery - what a beautiful venue that is going to be for the Church to play at. Hmmm if they get stuck into the wine though - doubt there is going to be much performing going on :wink:

TranceEnding said:

Aaaand, yes! There IS a new album coming soon in 2007!! :hyper:

Yep. Described by Steve as " a little record...not THE record...just a little record," and apparently titled El Momento Siguiente it will be very much like El Momento Descuidado. A guy who got a listen to it said this:

It opens with a cover of The Triffids' 'Wide Open Road', followed by something like 4 singles, 3 new songs and the rest favourites, both old and new (similar to EMD in this respect). Some of the arrangements are simply sensational. The setlists from the SKvMWP shows have a few clues ...

Sounds interesting. And various tours are also apparently being set up (or are already scheduled as in the Jan/Feb dates in Oz). US dates are being planned for Sept/Oct, but this is The Church so don't hold your breath on those.

As for "Block" -- I love that song. Sometimes I just put it on repeat and let it play.

U2 Bliss said:

Anyhow we visited Sandleford Winery - what a beautiful venue that is going to be for the Church to play at. Hmmm if they get stuck into the wine though - doubt there is going to be much performing going on :wink:

Ah, don't worry about the band U2 Bliss, they've played many a show completely bombed. :yes: In fact indra made sure they were well supplied with Unicum and Jagermeister at several shows. Have to keep them happy after all. :wink:

Has anyone else ever tried Unicum (it's a Hungarian herbal liqueur)? That stuff is strong -- made my lips numb! :ohmy:

And here's a link to some very early shots of the band. Click here Marty looks most unhappy while Steve looks adorable with his eyeliner. :)

Last edited:
Wow! :ohmy:

indra said:

Marty looks most unhappy while Steve looks adorable with his eyeliner. :)

:wink:

Maybe Marty was upset because there was no Jagermeister available :wink: I've heard him mentioning it at a gig or two, so he must be a fan :drunk: !

Unicum?!!? :ohmy: :wink: That sounds funny :D

Don't give me any ideas, haha :wink:

TranceEnding said:
Wow! :ohmy:

Maybe Marty was upset because there was no Jagermeister available :wink: I've heard him mentioning it at a gig or two, so he must be a fan :drunk: !

Unicum?!!? :ohmy: :wink: That sounds funny :D

Don't give me any ideas, haha :wink:

Steve and Marty were very happy to find they could buy Unicum (it does have a rather suggestive name, now that I think of it... :ohmy: ) right in Bondi. Oh dear. And the look on MWP's face when I told him that I bought the Jager and Unicum that I brought to the shows online was priceless. He was sooo excited!

Do you remember Steve blogging about the ants drunk on Jagermeister? I just went and dug it back up....

yessaday nk says did you see the drunken ant?
sure enuff
a loada ants are up around the cap of the jagermeister
sucking on whatever little crusty stuff they can find there
then a whole bunch staggering around the bottle
and i aint seen em since
i feel sorry for these ants
its cold outside and theyre mopping up in my kitchen
so i aint had the heart to squash em
but anyway
the j meister seems to have slowed em down a little
you can imagine em all staggering back to the queen
queen" what have you brought me, drones???"
ant "well ya shee ya majeshty its like thishhh...."

anyway the ants are all gone
i hope they didnae die of alcoholic poisoning

:lmao:

Leave it to Steve to worry about the poor ants....

Last edited:
"you can imagine em all staggering back to the queen
queen" what have you brought me, drones???"
ant "well ya shee ya majeshty its like thishhh...." "

:lmao:

Oh, I'm having lots of laughs here right now Indra :wink: I love how you wrote 'Oh dear' in the above post too!

You will laugh, but I was doing a little bit of research about the j-meister on the web and came across someone's review about this wonderful beverage! Hmmmmm .. might explain a few things :hmm: (especially the DANCING bit :wink: )

"..I asked my favourite young bar lady to give us a ' livener '. She proceeded to introduce us to jager-bombs and the rest, as they say, is history !!!

The next few hours were spent getting to know each other intimitely with gusto but the following few hours, after publicly announcing my new found love of jager-bombs to the world, were spent proving that I can really dance to ANYTHING, have a whole army of new friends AND I REMEMBER PRECISELY NONE OF IT !

Thank you JAGERMEISTER, the best friend I ever had. "

^

Haha! Yes I do think that might have something to do with the dancing. Steve loves his Jager and Red Bull -- told a little story of drinking a bunch of it while sitting around waiting to go onstage. Then he had to stand up. he said "but it didn't taste like alcohol!" umm...ok, if you say so... :lol:

I remember Stevo saying one day "I was really hammered last night" and I thought "no shit Sherlock!" It was pretty obvious he was feeling no pain out there. He did look a little green around the gills after the show though. The really amazing thing to me was how good he seemed fairly early the next day. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be that chipper if I'd consumed what he had. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Oh dear, we've gotta stop talking about this ... I wanna try some now (which may not be a very good idea!!! :wink: :drunk: )

I have to admit, I was just a teensy bit drunk (after a few glasses of vino) at the GB3 gig at the Spanish Club a little while ago (when SK was performing) .. don't worry, I was very well behaved, even though I could barely stand up straight! I actually felt really bad about this afterwards :wink: but now, after reading this, I don't feel so guilty, haha!

Y'know, it just always really amazes me that ANYONE can get up on stage and perform a show hammered or otherwise! :huh: Maybe it comes with lots of practice :wink: . I'd be absolutely hopeless .. like those ants :wink: stumbling around and slurring my words!

Too funny! :lol:

Now that the band index is toast I had to go drag this thread back to the top again. :)

Plus there really is something to post about. A couple of songs from the new album, El Momento Siguiente, are up on the band's Myspace page. "After Everything" and an eastern-sytle version of "Tantalized" are currently up, along with "snowfaller" and "saturation" from Back With Two Beasts. The rest of the 14 tracks from EMS are supposed to be rotating on Myspace over the next several weeks prior to the official release. click here

No official word on exactly when that release will be, but I have heard March which would fit as tour dates in April for Europe are beginning to show up. So far these are the dates for Europe:

All in April

12 -- Budapest, Hungary
13 -- Vienna, Austria
14 -- Zagreb, Croatia
18 -- Berlin, Germany
19 -- Krefeld, Germany
20 -- Amsterdam, Netherlands
25 -- Hamburg, Germany

And shows are expected in Copenhagen, somewhere in Sweden (hell, they should play in Sweden, both Marty and Steve have Swedish daughters and both lived there for years), and in the UK. Looks like a nice little practice session so they have all the songs down for when they come to here to play for me. :D

Something I'm certainly hoping for when they play Amsterdam -- often shows at Paradiso (and Melkweg too -- hmm...isn't there a song named after that place? :wink: ) are taped and shown on fabchannel. I'm hoping their show is -- that would certainly be very cool and would tide us over between shows. :yes:

I thought this was cute so I'm posting it. Rob Dickinson (lead singer of Catherine Wheel) was the opener for the band's US tour last year. In his end of the year message to fans he included this:

a memorable tour with my new friends The Church. This was one of the jolliest jaunts around this strange country I've ever had. The Church were a band that I knew little about. My sole reason for being on the tour was that my good friend Marty Willson-Piper happened to be their guitarist and a supporter of my music so off I went for six hot weeks in the back of a Dodge Caravan. No fat tour buses, no Four Seasons. Bit of a camping trip, Carry On Touring… bit of a giggle ….new friends indeed, bloody oath. I must say that so many of the good times came from the motley collection of Brits, ex-Brits, Aussies. Kiwis and Yanks and a new kinship with a fellow performer who was famous in his own world but rather unknown to me [he didn't know who the fuck I was either]. Steve Kilbey, the group's singer, proved to be most excellent company and I thank him and hope that he and his family and his "doodles" are blooming and blossoming and feeling just fine. I hope Van 1 and Van 2 are all feeling just fine this Christmas time.

Who, just a few years ago, would have used "jolly" to describe The Church? But now it certainly does fit. I swear they could play comedy clubs. A friend of mine who is a huge CW fan saw a couple of early shows on the tour and she said Steve wasn't too sure at all about Rob. She gushed a LOT about them and even gave SK some CW/RD solo mix cds because he "needed" to hear it. She even left dinner with The Church early to go see Rob's set -- much to SK's horror (she's leaving ME to see him??? :ohmy: ). Anyway, within a week of those shows SK was obviously quite taken with the music he'd heard and also with Rob himself. So much so that my friend commented "geez, I swear they're gonna get married!" When I went to my series of shows toward the end of the tour you would think they had been best buddies for life. They were a adorable and lot of fun. And Tim liked him because he drove fast! A little side note: my friend is also kinda shy and despite being such a huge CW/RD fan she never got up the courage to actually meet him. I could understand her not approaching him at the first two shows as they were all still getting settled in, but I made sure she got to go to the last show on the tour -- partly so she could meet Rob. And I talked to her on the phone (several times) and told her how sweet and freaking easy he was to meet and talk to. I mean, I talked to him! Me, miss I-oh-my-god-I-can't-do-this-I'm-gonna-puke herself! I talked to him -- about him posing for a nudie painting (I was for it :wink: ) no less -- surely she could say "hi, I'm a big fan of yours." Arrgghh!! :grumpy:

Oooh! I just found this pic of SK in the play (I think it was during a rehearsal) he did over the weekend. It was on the blog of the other actor
here. He says they may be taking it to Melbourne, so maybe you can check it out TE. :yes:

anewzoostory--skpic.jpg

I've blabbed on quite a bit.... But, hey, someone had to bring it back to the first page. :D

Last edited:
And nicely done Indra!

Wow, stuff's been happening in Churchworld. Unfortunately due to life stuff, I'm gonna have to miss the Day on the Green next week :( but at least got to see them in Oct. And maybe this acting thing will take off and SK may visit other places! :wink:

Hey you guys! Where've ya been, I've missed talking to you :D Thanks for pulling up the thread again to its right-ful place, on the first page :wink:

Thankyou Indra for posting all the wonderful, latest Churchy news :) That would be amazing, if Steve's play could make it down to Melbourne, I would most certainly go and see it if it does happen!!!

Just make this short and sweet as I am almost falling asleep, sitting here in a internet cafe in wonderful Fremantle, Western Australia :hyper: Just been here for the last few days, having loads of fun, seeing a couple of amazing gigs and catching up with some special people :wink: I think I've had approx 5 hours sleep in the last couple of days!!

I'm so sorry blueeyedgirl, you're gonna miss out on the Day on the Green :( hope life-stuff isn't TOO bad! :| I think also that I may have to miss out on the Victorian show too ... but I will be going to see the Harvest Festival this coming Sunday, so I'm excited about that!

I'll post some more photo's, if I manage to get some good ones!

Hope you guys are well :hug:

NEED .... COFFEEEEEEEEEEE ... must ... keep .. my eyes ... open

:wink: :huh:

blueeyedgirl said:
Wow, stuff's been happening in Churchworld. Unfortunately due to life stuff, I'm gonna have to miss the Day on the Green next week :( but at least got to see them in Oct. And maybe this acting thing will take off and SK may visit other places! :wink:

:sad: :hug:

I do think they will do more shows during the year though and it seems they usually make it to your area once or twice a year, so with any luck you'll get to see them a bit later in the year. :yes:

Squeee!!! El Momento Siguiente is on sale through the Church Merch right now! :hyper: I just bought a few copies! It's also supposed to be available in shops around Feb 3.

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Wide Open Road
2. It's No Reason
3. Reptile
4. Tantalized
5. Electric Lash
6. After Everything
7. Song In The Afternoon (new)
8. Two Places At Once
9. Appalatia
10. Bordello (new)
11. Pure Chance
12. Grind
13. NSEW
14. Comeuppance (new)

Oh this is exciting! Some of my favourite songs on there and I'm looking very forward to hearing the three new ones too. :)

Here's an image of the cover.

el20momento20siguiente.jpg

"Wide Open Road" and "Song In The Afternoon" are now up on the band's Myspace page (joining "After Everything" and "Tantalized.") :)

click here

Last edited:
^^ Now, THAT'S some track listing!! :hyper: I can't wait to get my copy of the CD ... and the cover art looks really beautiful too :)

I just got back now from the Harvest Festival, down the Mornington Peninsula, where the Church were playing this evening :hyper: :love: It was a different experience, seeing the boys perform at a festival and in what appeared to be a huge barn/shed, where the main stage was located! I'm sooooo glad though, that it was indoors because it was pelting rain for most of the day!

I had such a great time and, apart from some initial sound problems, the guys put on a fantastic show :hyper: I thought UTMW sounded soooooooo beautiful tonight and along with Myrrh, Block and Grind (which they closed with), were definate highlights for me. I still just can't get enough of Block ... and it just sounds superb live.

They started off with Unguarded Moment, Ripple, Wide Open Road (beautiful :)) and Day 5 .. after that, I can't remember everything in order! But there was Easy, She'll Come Back.. too.

Marty said that they'd be sticking around afterwards to sign CDs etc, but I had to get going soon after they finished as one of my friends had to head home for work (she works night shift). A bit of a bummer .. but couldn't be helped! There's always next time I guess!

Oh, and BTW, the moustache is no more!!! Which is a little bit sad really! :( haha

Anyway, I've taken some photo's, so hopefully there will be a couple of nice shots to share, once I get my film developed!

Awwwww .. I miss 'em already!

Sounds as if you had a great time! A barn, eh? Well, they've played everywhere else.... :lol: I agree with you on Block. I love that song! And I have to admit I love Grind too and an so happy they are playing it. With my luck they won't be playing it the next time they play here, but that's ok as I did get to hear it several times the last time around. Plus I'm sure I'll like what they do play. I'm pretty easy when it comes to setlists. :)

I hope your photos come out. I always enjoy seeing them. :)

No more moustache? awww I was kinda hoping to see it in person. Then again, blueeyedgirl will be relieved to hear that. :)

Some new songs from EMS are up on the band's MySpace site and I guess they will be switching them out every few days so keep checking.

indra said:
No more moustache? awww I was kinda hoping to see it in person. Then again, blueeyedgirl will be relieved to hear that. :)

:happy:

Glad to hear you had a great time Trance! Waiting on SK to put up a proper review of Day on the Green, which I'm glad I didn't get rained on to see :wink: And I hope he has some Chrissie luuurrrve, no slagging off of my favourite Rock Goddess! :angry:

blueeyedgirl said:

:happy:

Glad to hear you had a great time Trance! Waiting on SK to put up a proper review of Day on the Green, which I'm glad I didn't get rained on to see :wink: And I hope he has some Chrissie luuurrrve, no slagging off of my favourite Rock Goddess! :angry:

SK must be on a really strange schedule to not have updated his blog -- he loves that thing and seems almost compelled to update it. I'm betting his comments about that little tour will be interesting. :D

Back
Top Bottom