The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sue C (lily on SK's blog, Spirit March on HW) is working on arranging a gift for Marty's birthday. Apparently he really really wants to replace one of his guitars (wanna bet it's the one duct taped together? :wink: ) so she's putting out the call for donations. There will be a message on HW, but we are trying to keep it...or at least exactly what it is... a secret from Marty so it will be kind of vague. Anyway if you want to donate (even a small amount will help) and send MWP a Happy Birthday message, let me know and I can give you her email addy (if it isn't posted elsewhere). :)

Please help! Has Indra been kidnapped by MWP??? Or maybe it's the other way 'round :hmm:

I need to hear about how the show went!!!! :love:

Oh, and I'm finally online again! And, unfortunately I totally missed out about Sue's idea for raising funds for a birthday pressie for Marty, due to my internet deprivation :( Such a great idea though!

i only have the album Starfish, and i love it. what album would you all suggest i try next?

i only have the album Starfish, and i love it. what album would you all suggest i try next?

Oops! I didn't see this until now...sorry.

I love Heyday, the album just before Starfish and think that's always a good choice. Gold Afternoon Fix is the album just after Starfish and was my most listened to Church album for years. It's a good album, but it does lack a certain something Starfish had. Still it's a good album with a lot of songs I still love today.

Another choice is to get the most recent singles compilation from them, titled Deep in the Shallows. It's a two disc set and it's actually a pretty good introduction to the band and a decent way of figuring out what part of their career you'd like to explore more. I do think it's an Australia only release so that could be a bit of a problem, but it's amazingly enjoyable. I mean I have every song on this and just bought it to support the band, but after listening to it a couple of times I found I quite enjoy it. It's particularly good when you want to hear the "lighter" or poppier side of the band.

Hope that helps. :)

Anyone else have suggestions?

Here's a link to a photo tour (with copious audio clips! -- when Steve called in to take questions and talk about his art he talked for over an hour. I think it surprised people, but when he gets going he can talk a blue streak!) of the SK art exhibit.

click here

I was going to suggest 'Heyday' to mikal also .. I think this was the first Church album I bought for myself and still love to this day :D And I agree, 'Deep in the Shallows' is a wonderful introduction to their music - I've suggested/bought this CD for a few friends in hopes of converting them to my favourite band!

I'd also recommend 'Hologram of Baal' if you can find it ... I've been listening to it quite alot lately :love:

Looks good, you did a good job girlfriend!!!!! :hug:

:yes: :applaud:

Thanks so much Indra for posting the link to the photo's of the exhibit ... wow, there are so many amazing paintings there .. how wonderful it would be to go on a massive shopping spree! :hyper:

I can't wait to hear the audio clips :D

Thanks! It actually does look very good and I'm quite pleased with it. Now if I could just get more people to come see it. And buy all of it of course! :wink:

I've been neglecting this thread so I figured I'd post this pic. It was taken during rehearsals for the ARIA HOF thingie (which also explains the inset of David McComb). :)

SKat2008ariatriffids.jpg

He looks so happy!

He does! I saw a bit of the HOF thing on the news tonight (no sighting of SK sorry) but quite a bit on the Triffids, a bit of their speech and the best bit of all, Rolf Harris doing Tie me Kangaroo Down sport!!! :cute:

Not enough wobble board in rock, I've always said....

Oops! I didn't see this until now...sorry.

I love Heyday, the album just before Starfish and think that's always a good choice. Gold Afternoon Fix is the album just after Starfish and was my most listened to Church album for years. It's a good album, but it does lack a certain something Starfish had. Still it's a good album with a lot of songs I still love today.

Another choice is to get the most recent singles compilation from them, titled Deep in the Shallows. It's a two disc set and it's actually a pretty good introduction to the band and a decent way of figuring out what part of their career you'd like to explore more. I do think it's an Australia only release so that could be a bit of a problem, but it's amazingly enjoyable. I mean I have every song on this and just bought it to support the band, but after listening to it a couple of times I found I quite enjoy it. It's particularly good when you want to hear the "lighter" or poppier side of the band.

Hope that helps. :)

I'm going to recommend "After Everything Now This" - it's got some real mellow moments but it's absolutley gorgeous!!!

I'm going to recommend "After Everything Now This" - it's got some real mellow moments but it's absolutley gorgeous!!!

I agree, I adore this album :heart: Especially 'Invisible' and 'Night Friends' :love:

I absolutely love that photo of SK!! :D It's funny when SK says that the Triffid's 'Wide Open Road' is one song that he dearly would of love to of written/performed himself ... well, seeing that photo makes me wish that's one shot that I would dearly love to be able to take!

I saw a little snippet on the news last night of the HOF ceremony and was very excited to see SK (even if was just for a few seconds!) during the performance of 'The Real Thing' and onstage with the Triffids :hyper: :hyper: I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that I can get one of my friends to tape the ceremony when it's on VH1 over the weekend. It would of been amazing to have gone, but I just couldn't afford it :sad:

I've caught just a few snippets of the coverage myself...one was during rehearsals (when that pic was snapped) and had a fair amount of footage of WOR and also of SK talking about it, but the clip seems to be gone now. Wah!!

Oh, and if nothing Churchy of the live variety is happening over the next several months you can always plan to head to Sydney in late September. Check out the Upcoming Shows list on the All India Radio Myspace page here . You can see a couple of Steve's paintings too. :)

Oh, and if nothing Churchy of the live variety is happening over the next several months you can always plan to head to Sydney in late September. Check out the Upcoming Shows list on the All India Radio Myspace page here . You can see a couple of Steve's paintings too. :)

That sounds AMAZING! :ohmy:

:hmm:

Aussies -- make sure to watch Steve Kilbey on Rockwiz this Saturday night on SBS TV at 9.30pm. That should be fun. And you can think of me missing it. :sad:

Also, the Great Aussie Albums series is also starting on SBS this week with the Go Betweens' 16 Lovers Lane kicking off first and the week after will be Nick Cave's Murder Ballads. Human Frailty by Hunters and Collectors and Odyssey Number Five by Powderfinger round out the field.

If I recall correctly (and I think I do because it ticked me off) the producers of this series wanted to do Starfish for this run of the series SK wasn't sure if he wanted to do it or not (I remember he bitched because he felt the people talking about the Saints album gushed too much). Never mind that he did (and continues to do) plenty of gushing about the Triffids during the show on Born Sandy Devotional. :angry:

Steve needs to realise that if he keeps turning down stuff like this, it won't be long until no one asks anymore. There are already loads of people who think they broke up a decade and a half ago -- they can't really afford to lose any more visibility. Ah well, they always have been poster children for how NOT to succeed (commercially anyway) in the music business. :sigh:

Yep. :)

But he thinks having a Church album (the producers wanted Starfish) featured on Great Australian Albums is too schmaltzy. Seriously, Steve, WTF. :huh: :rolleyes:

There are a couple (Outbound and Spirit in Flame) songs from Steve's new solo release Painkiller on the Painkiller Myspace page. Click here. :)

Aussies -- make sure to watch Steve Kilbey on Rockwiz this Saturday night on SBS TV at 9.30pm. That should be fun. And you can think of me missing it. :sad:

:hyper: Don't worry, I am cooking up something with U2Bliss so that you can watch it :D

I haven't been so excited about watching something on television in a long time :wink: ... and the Go-Between's on afterwards! :hyper:

:hyper: Don't worry, I am cooking up something with U2Bliss so that you can watch it :D

I haven't been so excited about watching something on television in a long time :wink: ... and the Go-Between's on afterwards! :hyper:

Yay!! :hyper:

I think Steve is just about perfect for that type of show. He can be such a fucking hoot!

So how it go?

There's a page on the SBS website that has the whole episode, but some places are blocked from viewing it. Unfortunately, I live in one of those blocked areas. :madspit: :sad: Click here to see (or try to see).

Ohhh!! Just got some links to a couple of clips from the show on YouTube.

SK

and

SK and Sophie Koh

:cute:

Great show! I might have to go watch it again later (I taped it) :D I thought for a moment there that SK was going to get up and do a Yoga demonstration :hyper: He looked so excited at the end when his team won!

I really liked Sophie Koh too!!! I haven't really heard much of her music before ... I might have to check out her stuff now. I love the duet with SK at the end with 'Streets of your town' :heart: .... I've been singing that song in my head all day at work now :wink:

There's a page on the SBS website that has the whole episode, but some places are blocked from viewing it. Unfortunately, I live in one of those blocked areas. :madspit: :sad:

that sucks! :mad: I checked it out and can see it ok here .. it's just that my computer is really slow!

Never mind ... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to send you a DVD soon :hyper: I should be able to add on the Aria Hall of Fame performance too, if you're still interested in seeing that :D

:hyper:

that sucks! :mad: I checked it out and can see it ok here .. it's just that my computer is really slow!

Never mind ... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to send you a DVD soon :hyper: I should be able to add on the Aria Hall of Fame performance too, if you're still interested in seeing that :D

:hyper:

:yes:

That would be fantastic!! While I'm really happy to see the songs up on YouTube, I have to admit I really want to see the whole show! Part of what I really like about the band's more recent live shows is that Steve talks more between songs. I know some people want them to just play the damned songs, but I love the banter because he can be so damned funny. So I'm dying to see this show. :)

MWP's between song chatter is also hilarious. These guys are funnier than a lot of comedians. :lol:

And of course I'm still interested in seeing the HOF performance! :yes:

painkiller arrived in the post today :hyper:

I think I'm in love! :heart::drool:

It's still not here. I try not to anticipate new releases too much because I find I enjoy it more when I just let them get here when they get here. That doesn't mean I don't order them right away though.... ;)

Annndddd... as you probably know, Under the Milky Way just got named best Australian song of the past 20 years in an online poll. It got almost twice the number of votes as the second place song. Yay!!

Here's an article about the poll and the songs picked (and a video of Steve talking about UTMW):

and this is the article about UTMW:

A SONG about nothing and the band didn't really like it.

That doesn't sound like a recipe for international success, but from such humble beginnings sprang Australian band The Church's 1988 hit Under the Milky Way.

The track, written by singer Steve Kilbey and his then girlfriend Karin Jansson, made the charts here and in the US and remains The Church's best-known song.

Now Under the Milky Way has another credit to its name: it has been voted the best Australian song of the past 20 years.

Today in The Weekend Australian Magazine, we publish the results of our online poll to find the best 20 Australian songs since 1988.

We asked readers to nominate and vote for their favourites as part of the magazine's 20th anniversary celebrations. Under the Milky Way was a clear winner, topping the poll from the start of voting since early last month.

Yesterday in Sydney, Kilbey said his song had taken on a life of its own since he began writing it on an old piano at his mother's house on the NSW central coast.

"I just stumbled upon it and for some reason it has struck this wonderful sense of universality with people that most of my songs don't," Kilbey said.

He said that when he first presented the demo version of Milky Way to the band "no one really liked it that much".

"No one in the band was that fussed, other than our drummer Richard (Ploog)," he said.

"Our manager liked it and wanted it on (the album) Starfish."

The song went on that album and won the band an ARIA award for best song in 1989.

Since then it has appeared on movie soundtracks and has been covered by a broad range of local and overseas artists, including Rick Springfield, Matchbox 20 and Jimmy Little.

It also remains a staple of the band's live shows.

"There are songs about something -- about the Vietnam war or about how much you love your wife -- and then there are songs that operate as a premise for you to have your own adventure," Kilbey said.

"Under the Milky Way is definitely one of those songs; it's not really about anything at all.

"I just wanted to create an atmosphere and I didn't even put a lot of thought into that.

"History has given it something that it never really had."

Other artists to make it into our top 20 include Crowded House, the Whitlams and Augie March. We also asked 20 well-known music industry figures, such as Peter Garrett, Missy Higgins and John Butler, to name their favourite song from the past 20 years and to explain why they chose it. Those choices and explanations are in today's Culture issue of the magazine.

As to Kilbey's feelings about his landmark song, he said he neither hated nor resented it, even though it had become the song with which the Church was most readily identified.

"It's not like, say, I was Joe Dolce and I had to keep doing Shaddap You Face ... like you had a song that was your song and it was a real stinker," Kilbey said.

"I reckon (Living in a Land) Down Under would tire me out. But if I had to be saddled with one song that everyone wants me to do, I figure Milky Way is an OK one."

Leave it to Steve to say name a couple of songs and then say at least it's not a real stinker like those! :lmao: Gotta love 'im. :D

And a little tidbit you might find amusing: We had a windstorm that knocked power out to hundreds of thousands of people in the area (a couple of million in the state) this past Sunday. My power came back on Wednesday night, and one of the first things I did was check my email. I had an email from Iain Shedden, asking for contact for SK as he was working on a story for the weekend's paper. I promptly forwarded the email to Steve and apparently he did the interview that day. I'm certainly glad my power came back on. :D

That's awesome :D ... I'm so glad the power came back on, just in time! Crap, that must of been some windstorm :ohmy:

"A SONG about nothing and the band didn't really like it." That's pretty funny :lol: That is so brilliant though - such an honour!

Y'know, when Painkiller first arrived, I didn't want to even open it up out of it's plastic packaging! It looked so beautiful, I really did spend some time just staring at the artwork ... the back cover especially seems almost hypnotic! But .. once I started listening to it, I haven't been able to stop! Yeah, I wasn't really thinking what it was going to be or sound like ... I was just excited to receive it with a totally open mind ... I just think it's amazing :love: Can't wait to hear your thoughts when your copy arrives!

Back
Top Bottom