The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 Bliss said:

:heart: Okay I’m putting it out to the Universe, can the powers of be get The Church to play their OWN show in Perth :heart:

:pray: :pray:

:wink:

I hope so much for this, too! I can imagine the Fly by Night to be a perfect spot for a solo gig :) I remember them doing a show there a few years ago, right?? And thinking it would of been awesome to have gone to that with you :)

Hopefully there won't be too many boozy bogans at this show in December to spoil your fun... but just zone them out and think positively ... I'm so excited for you, your first Church!!!!!! Woo!

:dancing:

TranceEnding said:
I can imagine the Fly by Night to be a perfect spot for a solo gig :)
oh god this is one of my favourite venue :drool: even better though is the Belvoir Ampitheatre :drool: :drool: :drool:

:heart: Universe please respond :heart:

Oh and before i forget TE....THANKYOU for the little parcel of goodies that arrived in the post today :)

Someone else I know (well, from online) is also going to the Perth gig. He's so excited about it, he hasn't seen the band since 2003.

Anyway...I have a link to a video of barefoot olde hippie Steve doing "Under the Soy Milky Way" at the Cruelty Free Festival in Sydney earlier this month. It was in a hall where all sorts of other stuff was going on as well so there is this general roar along with the music. And it's jumpy and kind of blurry, but hell, I don't get to see any of these gigs so I'll take it. And Steve looks as if he's having a great time there. :D

click here for link

Last edited:
indra said:
"Under the Soy Milky Way"

:D

thankyou for the link, shall try to have a look .. if my computer can handle it!

Get this .. I just wrote an email to U2Bliss (in Perth) about a comment or two from another excited fan who is very much looking forward to the Perth concert (from SKs blog). How weird! She's a bit concerned that the Church won't be on the bill because there's no mention of them being an opening act when she's checked with the ticketing agency :huh: So I had to convince her there's nothing to worry about!

It's on the official Church site so it has to be true! :D And I see there are now two Melbourne and Sydney dates.

Hope you can see the video. Barefooted and wearing that shirt with the sleeves ripped off. Nifty! :)

indra said:
It's on the official Church site so it has to be true! :D

That's what I told her!!!!! Haha ... great minds think alike :laugh:

Oooooooh! A second Melb show .. and Syden-ey too ... hmmmm .. oh! My mind is full of ideas now (and yes, they are evil .. but in a good way :wink: )

OK .. I tried to have a look at the video .. it's just in extremely slow motion!! I might have a try at the fancy-pants computers at the local library instead :wink: Actually, the video got me thinking about fiddling around with my photo's from the SK/DB gig back in September ... and I've just figured out something very exciting :hyper: :hyper: So there will be something in the post for you shorty :D

TranceEnding said:

That's what I told her!!!!! Haha ... great minds think alike :laugh:

Of course! :D

Oooooooh! A second Melb show .. and Syden-ey too ... hmmmm .. oh! My mind is full of ideas now (and yes, they are evil .. but in a good way :wink: )

OK .. I tried to have a look at the video .. it's just in extremely slow motion!! I might have a try at the fancy-pants computers at the local library instead :wink: Actually, the video got me thinking about fiddling around with my photo's from the SK/DB gig back in September ... and I've just figured out something very exciting :hyper: :hyper: So there will be something in the post for you shorty :D

I like good evil ideas! :)

Something for me? Yay!!! :hyper:

Just wanted to let you know whenever I hear the word "church" in almost any context, I think of indra.

BonosSaint said:
Just wanted to let you know whenever I hear the word "church" in almost any context, I think of indra.

:D or should that be :uhoh: ?

I keep seeing the "Remastered" MP3s of church gig thread and get all excited every time. Then I realise it's not the Church I think it is.... :sad:

TranceEnding said:
:D ... you know, I joined Interference because of Indra's first Church thread :wink:

Yay!! :applaud:

And don't forget that you got to confuse Steve after a recent gig because of me. I help you out any way I can. :wink:

indra said:

And don't forget that you got to confuse Steve after a recent gig because of me. I help you out any way I can. :wink:

haha :yes: :wink:

Luckily, I just swallowed my mouthful of coffee when I read this, coz I just burst out laughing with the reminder! I think I forgot to mention also that when I walked away from him that evening, he STILL had a puzzled expression on his face!! Just thought it was so hilarious now, thinking back about it :wink:

See! Silly/funny things like this wouldn't happen without you!! :hug:

indra said:
I keep seeing the "Remastered" MP3s of church gig thread and get all excited every time. Then I realise it's not the Church I think it is.... :sad:
Awwww.....

I wouldn't have thought that would be too hard normally.... :D
*runs from the wrath of Indra*

blueeyedgirl said:
I wouldn't have thought that would be too hard normally.... :D
*runs from the wrath of Indra*

:lmao:

Do you remember the vacuum thing? "uh...wouldn't it be better if you just bought it and had it shipped to me?" (that still makes me laugh) A few weeks ago he emailed me and asked where he would get bags for it (Godfrey's -- not more than a mile or so away :rolleyes: ) I got another email a bit later -- he was very proud of his shopping skills -- he got a "buy two packs, get one free" deal. :)

He's brilliant at some things, but sometimes I wonder how he finds his way home. ...I shouldn't talk I suppose because sometimes I wonder how I find my way home. :reject:

I'm disgusted with Steve right now. Apparently the Church was offered induction into the Aria Hall of Fame this year but "they knocked us back due to their unavailability" which is a diplomatic way of saying "the self destructive little fucks blew us off lest they do anything the slightest bit icky or which might be seen as acquiescing to "The Man" in any way at all which might get them some publicity." :madspit:

Christ he's bitching because they wanted the band to play "Under the Milky Way" and "The Unguarded Moment" (the original version, not the EMD version) -- two songs which they already play (although they do the EMD version of TUM). Of course they want you to play those songs Steve -- everyone knows those songs. I love "Block" but no one would know the damned thing -- and do you know a big part of why no one knows that song? Because you refuse to properly promote your fucking band and many people figure you stopped recording a decade or so ago. :mad: And they (apparently with mostly Steve talking and the others backing him up) are supposed to thank people. Yeah, I'm sure there isn't anyone who has supported Steve during the many years he was less than lovable or even likable; no one who encouraged them to keep going when they were ready to quit; no one who ever went out of his way to help them and dropped a shitload of his own money on them to allow them to record albums and tour (and stay in far better hotels than their ticket & album sales would dictate); etc., etc., etc. Nope. No one to thank for anything. :rolleyes:

Can't lose his integrity by being inducted into a ceremonial HOF lead by a bunch of executives he holds in contempt. But he's willing to play second fiddle to a couple of bands who have been willing to do the HOF thing. Hell the Chrissie Hynde even said at their 2005 R&RHOF induction "I know that the Pretenders have looked like a tribute band for the last 20 years." And the DeVinyals were pretty much defunct before they got inducted into the Aria HOF, so they could very well be considered has-beens. So what the fuck does opening for these two bands make the Church?

This reminds me of him bitching about the producers of Great Australian Albums wanting to do a show on Starfish. Oh my god that is such an insult. How dare they! :mad: :rolleyes:

I love Steve and the Church but sometimes I just wanna slap him silly. It occurs to me that the main difference between Steve and many of his more commercially successful contemporaries is they have learned to take opportunities to promote themselves without feeling violated and he hasn't. Since I seriously doubt he'll learn that skill now I sadly foresee a continued decline in album sales and Church headline show audience numbers and eventually cessation of touring altogether (Europe and the US going by the wayside first). They might be able to eek out a few more years touring as openers for bands willing to do what they won't, but then they might just as well be a nostalgia act because that's all they will effectively be.

(yeah I'm feeling grumpy and morose today)

Last edited:
For. Fucks. Sake. It's Official. He's a Moron.

NICK CAVE was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, I know, I actually watched that bit of the Arias. :wink: And he made a quite Nick Cave-type speech where he didn't completely grovel but neither was he completely dismissive either. (But then he recorded with Kylie so Steve would prob think he was a sell out anyway... :lol: )

So, it's OK to have his fans kiss the hem of his garments on his blog by writing complimentary comments, but we can't have the industry at large do the same? :rolleyes: Can I bitch slap him now please!!!!

(and I like the way you worked eek into your diatribe :D )

Peoples, SKs a VIRGO !!!! It explains everything!! This is why he is sooo damn FRUSTRATING!! Believe me, I know! Both my parents are Virgo's ... it's been a painful life thus far :wink:

In all seriousness though .. I know I don't really know the man, but it seems he is incredibly self-critical and I really think this plays a big part. I really would love to know what the other guys think about the prospect of being inducted in the HOF .. are they all in agreement with SK?

I don't mean to sound like a wuss, but I'm really torn on this topic. On one hand, I've been thinking for years, when the hell are they going to be inducted? For me personally, the Church are the best thing this country has ever produced musically and it's a terrible injustice that they don't receive more recognition than they do. I think it would be marvellous if they do accept it .. at least, just for their fans and their families. But then, on the other hand, I can understand some of the reasons that SK has spoken about.

I dunno :shrug: Ultimately, it's the bands choice and I'd say it'll be incredibly difficult to persuade SK otherwise :mad:

OK ...

I don't care what anyone says, I'm having a Marty-fan-girl moment and you can't stop me!!!!!! :drool: :combust:

I just found this photo over on the HW site from the recent Sydney concerts and heading back to see the other photo's from the link posted.

martygod.jpg

Such an awesome pic! Can't wait for tomorrow night! :hyper:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d_neese/sets/72157603451139089/show/with/2108993272/

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:
(and I like the way you worked eek into your diatribe :D )

:D

I'm talented that way. :D

Now in truly important news -- MWP has a beard...and I have a pic to post!

mwpdec2007wbeard.jpg

:ohmy:

More pics Taken 12-12-07 (did you notice that date works in both Australian and American? :D ).

And SK recently got a triple-play lesson on People Suck:

1) Bitchy old woman;
2) Pushy, whiny, drama queeny, takes "shameless self promotion" to extremes, musician :rolleyes: /fan (I've dealt with this person online and at first he seems ok but it becomes apparent that all he's interested in is self promotion. If you have the misfortune of having him as a "friend" on Myspace or he somehow gets your email addy, you will be deluged with emails and bulletins pushing his latest cd. And he's "released" a shitload of cds because he apparently thinks that every sound he's ever made is fantastic music. Ugh. ...I'll probably continue this little rant in my blog/journal in a couple of days. It pisses me off that he's now playing the victim in this. He's not. :mad: );
3) Crazy stalker female fan from Hell. "Why Don't You Love Me?" was written about fans such as this. Occupational hazard I suppose, especially because SK is more available to his fans than many. I can see that to someone who's wiring isn't quite right that openness can seem like much more than it is. Creepy and sad.

Finally got him to disallow anon comments on his blog to cut down on the stupid and sometimes very mean comments (both to him and to other commenters), so some good has come out of it. :wink:

Anyway if you haven't already read his take on it here's the link for it.

Last edited:
Uhoh. :uhoh:

The above post is the result of starting a reply and then doing other things (including sleeping for several hours!) before remembering to finish the post. And then I didn't think to see if anyone else had posted in the meantime. Oops. :reject:

indra said:
Uhoh. :uhoh:

The above post is the result of starting a reply and then doing other things (including sleeping for several hours!) before remembering to finish the post. And then I didn't think to see if anyone else had posted in the meantime. Oops. :reject:

:tsk:

:wink:

I raaaaaaan all the way home (well, not really, LOL) from work today so I could play with my photo's that I took last night at the Forum.

So, here are a few to share ... so far .. I go a bit silly sometimes :uhoh:

PC150553.jpg

PC150543.jpg

PC150522.jpg

PC150516.jpg

I really love this one :)

PC150534.jpg

PC150512.jpg

Such a FANTASTIC night ... the guys put on a brilliant set .. and guess what?!?!? I finally noted down the set list!!

Day 5
Destination
Unguarded Moment
Hotel Womb
Ripple
Numbers
Myrrh
Block

I think overall, they got a wonderful response from the crowd ... infact, I cannot ever recall going to a concert where people were chanting MORE MORE MORE after the support band exit the stage :D

They were brilliant!

And I have to say, I really enjoyed the Divinyls as well :reject:

Yay! Glad you had a great time and also that the show was good and went over well. Excellent setlist too!

Cool pics too. Looks as if you were really close. Yay! Hmm...how come the pics of MWP are the best ones? :hmm: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom