The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new album Further Deeper is out....first listen and it's pretty dense and hypnotic, as is usual with them, but it's got some groove. Very impressed so far, and will have to explore it more. Most songs by this band demand repeated listens to really appreciate the textures.

The new album Further Deeper is out....first listen and it's pretty dense and hypnotic, as is usual with them, but it's got some groove. Very impressed so far, and will have to explore it more. Most songs by this band demand repeated listens to really appreciate the textures.

After five or six listens I can honestly say this album is miles above Songs of Innocence. Sorry U2 but these guys have a maturity and intensity that you guys lost years ago.

After five or six listens I can honestly say this album is miles above Songs of Innocence. Sorry U2 but these guys have a maturity and intensity that you guys lost years ago.

I am not sure it's possible to compare the bands at this point, as they are coming from totally different places in terms of sound, lyrical content, and genres. I guess comparisons were more apt during early years, especially in the Starfish era.

I love Songs of Innocence, but, after repeated listens of Further Deeper, it's a flat out masterpiece.

And now Marty is goooone.

I'll give Further Deeper a listen at some point but it just doesn't quite feel like The Church without MWP.

Trust me - his absence hasn't impacted the quality of the music in the least. There might be a slightly different vibe but no one would notice beside the hardcore fan.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A couple of years ago I would have been horrified at the prospect of the church without Marty, but honestly, I don't miss him on this album. It's amazingly good. I have had the distinct feeling over the last several years that his interest in creating music has waned substantially. He only played guitar on a few (maybe four) songs on Untitled 23. He played bass on some, and didn't play anything on three or four songs. Live he was a lot of fun...except when he was in a pissy mood.

The band's US (and one Canadian date) tour was announced today. Click here for info. :)

Feb. 21: Vancouver, BC -- Rio Theater
Feb. 23: Seattle, WA -- Triple Door
Feb. 24: Seattle, WA -- Triple Door
Feb. 27: Los Angeles, CA -- El Rey Theatre
Feb. 28: San Diego, CA -- The Casbah
March 2: Aspen, CO -- Belly Up Tavern
March 3: Denver, CO -- Gothic Theater
March 5: Minneapolis, MN -- Cedar Cultural Center
March 6: Chicago, IL -- Double Door
March 7: Cleveland, OH -- The Grog Shop
March 9: Washington, DC -- 9:30 Club
March 10: Philadelphia, PA -- World Cafe Live
March 1: Boston, MA -- The Sinclair
March 13: New York, NY -- Bowery Ballroom
March 14: Brooklyn, NY -- Rough Trade
March 15: Raleigh, NC -- Cat's Cradle
March 17: Atlanta, GA -- Terminal West
March 18-21: Austin, TX -- SXSW

Wow, indra and BEG. I'd been wondering where both of you had got to.

Guess I better get around to hearing the new album...

NEW ALBUM KLAXON

I did get around to hearing Further Deeper but it left little mark on me.

I've just listened to Man Woman Life Death Infinity this evening and it's impressed me. I confidently expect to return to this more than anything since After Everything Now This.

Bit pissed off that I probably can't make their Australian tour. The Melbourne show is while I'm in New Zealand, the Sydney show clashes with a gig for which I already have tickets (and have no desire to miss), and they're not coming to Wollongong. I'm not quite passionate enough to leg it up to the Newcastle show.

No doubt they'll do another run through Australia in the near future though.

Back
Top Bottom