The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love? - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #286
The Male

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Heyday is a really damn good album; I think I like Night of Light the most. Between that album and Starfish, they're two-for-for by my estimation. Where should I go next?

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #287
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Heyday is a really damn good album; I think I like Night of Light the most. Between that album and Starfish, they're two-for-for by my estimation. Where should I go next?
I think you'd dig the jangle all over Seance. It may not be the album most people hurry to, but I think it's massively under-rated (it's my #1 album by them) and it should be right up your alley.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Generally with the church the earlier albums are more pop and the later ones more psychedelic. I do quite like Seance...the production does sound very 80's, and they weren't too pleased with it, but I never minded it. Many church fans love the first two albums -- Of Skins & Heart (aka The Church in the UK and US) and The Blurred Crusade -- and while I generally enjoy these songs played live I'm not nearly as fond of them as originally recorded. But I would certainly recommend you give them a try.

The label wanted a repeat of Starfish on their next album, Gold Afternoon Fix, but it didn't quite work (does it ever?). I think there are quite a few really good songs on GAF, but somehow it just didn't have the magic that Starfish did. Still I think it's well worth a listen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for those in Australia you may be able to catch a special on MAX TV this month on the church's A Psychedelic Symphony show from earlier this year. Here's the link for anyone who's interested.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life

Never thought you'd see this thread again, did ya? Ha! Don't get too happy, it's not dead yet!

Remember when Steve Kilbey used to just stand there and sing (and play bass, of course)?

Afghan Whigs & Steve Kilbey - "One Day" live in Sydney 26/7/12 - YouTube

Makes me wonder what they're putting in pot these days....

I love the look on Greg Dulli's face. You can tell he's such a fan.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #290
ONE
love, blood, life

Not that anyone reads this thread, but what the hell, I'm posting it anyway.

If you are interested in seeing the church live, it's probably wise to see them this year. They are imploding (more than usual) and it's very possible they will be no more after the tour dates they have already confirmed. Click here for an article detailing the public bits of their most recent internal drama.

And click here for the list of gigs they are playing over the next couple of months. Most are part of a package tour, but two -- one in Melbourne and one in Sydney -- have the church as headliners. Steve has mentioned to me that they are scheduled to do another show in March or April in Canberra, but that one isn't showing up anywhere yet.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #291
Vocal parasite

Already got my tickets to the Melbourne show.

Can't wait, especially with the inner turmoil problems hanging over their future. I hope they weather this like they have weathered so much in their career, but if they don't ... I'd just love to hear Electric Lash live before they go. I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be in the setlist, but a guy can dream.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm betting they will just keep muddling on in their typical highly dysfunctional manner never actually solving anything.... At least the drama can be entertaining.

One of the shows from the Australian leg of the Future Past Perfect tour where they played three of their albums (Untitled 23, Priest=Aura and Starfish) in full was taped and the first part (Untitled 23) of that is now streaming here. The other two sections (Priest=Aura and Starfish) will stream next week.

I really loved the FPP tour (US version) so it's great to be able to see it again on video.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #293
Vocal parasite

Wow, the gig's next week. That's crept up on me. Hey indra, put in a good word for Electric Lash to His Kilbeyness on my behalf, will you?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life

Enjoy the show tomorrow! SK noted on his blog there would be some surprises, so that should be interesting. I have no idea what they are playing though...last time I talked to him was last week just as rehearsals began and they hadn't worked out a set list yet. Rehearsals never seem to go particularly well with them, so I steer well clear.

And the second album (Priest=Aura) from the Future Past Perfect tour last year is now streaming on Moshcam. Click here.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #295
Vocal parasite

I see they're scheduled for two sets tomorrow, 9:30-10:20 and then 10:30-11:30+. I wonder if that indicates anything ... or if they're just getting old and need a mid-show rest.

Honestly, I'll be over the moon if they do ANYTHING from Seance at all, but I'm not getting my hopes up. One Day, Disappear?, and especially Electric Lash would evoke a sufficiently excited reaction as to embarrass myself. (This has actually happened before at other bands, including Robert Scott of The Bats pointing to me and saying "well at least one guy here knows the song".)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #296
ONE
love, blood, life

Mid show pee break. If not for the band, for much of the audience....

Check out the merch table for coffee mugs with SK art images on them -- they were sourced by me!
I hope they sell well....
I've had some interest in them, but this is the first time we are actually trying to sell them.

Hope you have a great time and let me know how it goes!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #297
Vocal parasite

I'll keep an eye out! Heading off to the show pretty soon.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #298
Vocal parasite

Awesome show! Definitely the best of the three Church gigs I've seen. More later, but here's the set and brief notes on highlights:

1. Is This Where You Live?
2. Chaos
3. Night Friends
4. Anchorage
5. Appalatia
6. Nothing Seeker
7. Block
8. Lunar [I assume that's what "LUNR" on the printed set meant anyway - I didn't really recognise it and I don't listen to Untitled #23 much, so ...]
9. Ripple
--- mid-show break ---
10. When You Were Mine
11. The Theatre and Its Double
12. Fields of Mars
13. Sealine
14. Maya
15. You Took
16. On Angel Street
17. Snowfaller
18. Constant in Opal

Encore:
19. The Unguarded Moment
(Tantalized was on the printed set as the 20th song, but they could only do one track in the encore due to time constraints.)

Highlights:
- I'd never quite appreciated before just how good Peter Koppes is at guitar; Is This Where You Live and You Took in particular were insane
- Fields of Mars!
- When You Were Mine!
- Appalatia was wonderful
- The banter before Snowfaller about who the hell picked it
- I probably need to take back my harsh words for Angel Street because it sounded really good tonight
- NO UNDER THE MILKY WAY! Steve mentioned early in the show that every song they played, at least one band member had picked because they wanted to play it (though he clearly didn't want to do The Unguarded Moment at the end!).
- Block and Sealine were probably the other top songs, and I better stop here and go to bed now!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #299
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Highlights:
- I'd never quite appreciated before just how good Peter Koppes is at guitar; Is This Where You Live and You Took in particular were insane
are you kidding!?! Peter Koppes is a freakin' magician

I've been trying to find a setlist for the Corner gig as I wasn't able to go, so thanks for supplying the details. I'm definately looking forward to seeing them in Sydney next Thursday night
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Marty has no beard!!!!

Tags
the church