The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:
Understatement of the century!!!! :lol:

Yeah, he is an opinionated old bastard. :D But so far he really hasn't gotten worked up about anything except the lack of easy internet access in Australia. I was actually pretty amazed at some of the places where they did have wireless access in the US -- including this stinking hot basement under the club in Cleveland. No fucking air conditioning down there, just a couple ratty old fans, but they could get wireless internet.

I did love his "Ode to Fuck" (as I call it) a few days ago though. :lol:

Looks as if Europe is going to get quite a nice little tour in April. Electric too.

Thursday April 12 Budapest HUNGARY - Godor Klub
Friday April 13 Vienna AUSTRIA - Club Szene
Saturday April 14 Zagreb CROATIA - PAUK
Sunday April 15 Belgrade SERBIA - Dom Omladine
Tuesday April 17 Prague CZECH REPUBLIC - Futurum MusicBar
Wednesday April 18 Berlin GERMANY - Quasimodo
Thursday April 19 Krefeld GERMANY - Kulturfabrik
Friday April 20 Amsterdam NETHERLANDS - Paradiso
Saturday April 21 Utrecht NETHERLANDS - EKKO
Monday April 23 Arhus DENMARK - Voxhall
Tuesday April 24 Malmo SWEDEN - Kulturbolaget
Wednesday April 25 Copenhagen DENMARK - Vega
Thursday April 26 Hamburg GERMANY - Knust
Saturday April 28 Brighton UK - Concorde2
Monday April 30 London UK - Carling Academy Islington

Considering that a year or two ago it really looked as if they wouldn't be playing much in Europe any more, this is especially good to see. I just hope it bodes well for further US and Aussie tours this year too. :)

Here's a link to some pics from the recent gig in Hobart. Some pretty decent ones.

And here is a link to the review by the guy who took the pics. Most extensive review/recap I've read so far.

FINALLY !!! :wink:

Here's some Churchy pics from the Harvest Festival, Jan 21 !!

96890014.jpg

96890018.jpg

96890008.jpg

Last edited:
ïndra, you've probably been asked this a million times already. but if i wanted to buy my first the church album, what would you recommend?

nevermind, found the answer in the other church thread.

this music is great to listen to while reading. :hmm:

Yikes! I spent so long pondering the question you found out what I had recommended before for yourself. Sorry about that.

What did you end up getting?

Love the pics, TE! :)

indra said:

Which reminds me! My camera died on me when I was down in Hobart the weekend before last :sad: I keep forgetting about it too .. every now and again I think .. DOH! I have to go and get myself a new one now ... I need to take one with me for the upcoming Church CD launch!!!

I didn't get to see the Church/Pretenders winery gig in Hobart (as brilliant as it would of been!) Yes, I'm a traitor, haha .. but I was at another gig that evening, to see Jeff Martin and Ritesh Das, the very favourite people of mine and lovely friends :):):) The funny thing was that one of the opening acts, a lovely musician called Dean Stevenson, was chatting away about working that day with the Pretenders ... and the Church!!! At which point I let out a loud gasp! Hehe :)

Anyway, looking forward to the upcoming Melbourne gig now and even possibly the show in Castlemaine!

indra said:
Yikes! I spent so long pondering the question you found out what I had recommended before for yourself. Sorry about that.

What did you end up getting?

starfish :rockon:

TranceEnding said:

Anyway, looking forward to the upcoming Melbourne gig now and even possibly the show in Castlemaine!

I'm so jealous. :mad: ...then again, by the time they play here later in the year they will be stunningly good. :yes: :D

U2Man said:

Starfish is an excellent album. I was just listening to it today myself. :) I absolutely adore Destination. :yes:

U2Man said:
im considering buying a ticket for their concert here :hmm:

:lol:

I was just thinking "I bet they are playing somewhere near U2Man. I should tell him to check them out live." :)

Tickets are generally pretty reasonable and they do put on a good show. Plus Europe is supposed to be all electric this year, so that will be cool. Everything they did last year (except for a few shows in Australia late in the year) were mostly acoustic -- full drum kit and electric bass, but the guitars were acoustic. That was done for logistical, financial, and tinnitus (drummer and singer/bass player both have it) reasons. They were the loudest, most energetic acoustic performances I have ever heard, but still more subdued musically that the full on electric shows.

Damn. Double post. Didn't mean to say it twice. :mad:

I was kinda wondering where U2Man is too :) because I thought that if you're in Australia, I really REALLY highly recommend that you get along to see one of their upcoming shows before they jet off to Europe!

I love seeing the Church in any way, shape or form .. acoustic or electric, but I have to admit, I am still dazzled by their electric show last October here in Melbourne. It was just simply sensational. I know I am just a tad biased :wink: but I have to say, it was probably one of THE best concerts I have ever been to.

indra said:

I'm so jealous. :mad:

oh, no, noooooo! No jealously ... I need your pity right now, haha :) Due to the fact that I'm pretty much broke at the moment, I highly doubt that I'll be able to make it to ANY of those lovely shows that are coming up next week :sad: And Geelong too, on March 3 *cries*

Oh, it's just too horrible to think about at the moment!

TranceEnding said:
I was kinda wondering where U2Man is too :) because I thought that if you're in Australia, I really REALLY highly recommend that you get along to see one of their upcoming shows before they jet off to Europe!

I love seeing the Church in any way, shape or form .. acoustic or electric, but I have to admit, I am still dazzled by their electric show last October here in Melbourne. It was just simply sensational. I know I am just a tad biased :wink: but I have to say, it was probably one of THE best concerts I have ever been to.

oh, no, noooooo! No jealously ... I need your pity right now, haha :) Due to the fact that I'm pretty much broke at the moment, I highly doubt that I'll be able to make it to ANY of those lovely shows that are coming up next week :sad: And Geelong too, on March 3 *cries*

Oh, it's just too horrible to think about at the moment!

Noooo!! You have to go! I think they are supposed to be doing one of their special giveaways to the audience at the launch shows -- I heard rumours of a dvd this time. I'm not absolutely sure of it, but even the chance.... :sad:

I loved the acoustic shows I saw last year, especially because Steve's vocals came through better, but the electric shows are amazing and I love them too. I'd kind of like them to do electric shows here this year, but I know those are hard for Steve & Tim (cause of the tinnitus), so they wouldn't probably be able to do as many shows here. And if they cut shows, they would probably cut them in the midwest which is where I'm more likely to be able to see them. They'd probably still play Chicago as it's always good for them, but smaller markets might get dropped. Then again, they might surprise me and do a full on electric tour and hit everywhere. :)

They're playing GEELONG but they're not coming to Adelaide???? :huh: I know, I know, can't be greedy, but yeah, Geelong???? And now I've said it, Trance, you're gonna tell me you live in Geelong, right? :wink:

Well, hope you get to a gig, U2Man! :up:

So Trance Ending -- Manchester Lane is tonight. Are you able to go or do you have to sit at home and pout like the rest of us?

Very sadly, I too, will be pouting (and possibly crying! :sad: ) at home tonight ..

and tomorrow night!

and quite possibly Saturday night as well

:(

I'm so bummed out right now, but trying not to think about it too much! I'm actually more disappointed about not being able to make it to the Castlemaine & Geelong shows (not a huge fan of Manchester Lane to be honest) ... I have a feeling they're going to be amazing shows!

I'd give anything to go to any of these shows, but yeah .... just can't afford it right now :mad:

Oh well .. there's always the possibility of catching a couple of shows in the US later on in the year, if I knuckle down and save my pennies to go travelling o/s again!! I'm still thinking about this, so .. you never know! :hyper:

Hey, I need all the happy thoughts I can get at the moment :wink:

NNoooooooooooo!!!!! :sad:

I was so looking forward to your review of at least one of these shows. ...then again if you can get to the US at the right time the shows here could be loads of fun. And you need to drag BEG over here too. I'm pretty good at stalking them -- and I've got them to the point they aren't even afraid of me. That will come in handy if we want to grab one, stuff him in the trunk and drive off. :evil:

Hehe. I got plans. :D :uhoh:

In the meantime though, Mimesis, a SK side project, has a MySpace page. It's a concept album. A couple of songs up too. Or part of a couple of songs, as the cd doesn't have any only three or six minute songs. Don't ask me how I know that though. :reject: :D

Anyway, here's the link. Mimesis Myspace page

.......only had a couple of listens to ...Siguiente...think i shall love it as much as....descuidado....Bloody fantastic version of The Triffids Wide Open Road.....its no reason was always a fave (As is the whole seance album)...everything else sounding pretty fab also!...who wouldve thought they would even still be around never mind still being so groovy......

A bit of sad Church news just before their european tour. Marty's mum died a couple of nights ago. Apparently he was able to make it back to see her before she passed away. :sad:

No more letters from mum at his solo shows either. :(

Back
Top Bottom