The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Sue C (lily on SK's blog, Spirit March on HW) is working on arranging a gift for Marty's birthday. Apparently he really really wants to replace one of his guitars (wanna bet it's the one duct taped together? ) so she's putting out the call for donations. There will be a message on HW, but we are trying to keep it...or at least exactly what it is... a secret from Marty so it will be kind of vague. Anyway if you want to donate (even a small amount will help) and send MWP a Happy Birthday message, let me know and I can give you her email addy (if it isn't posted elsewhere).

Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #212
Refugee

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Please help! Has Indra been kidnapped by MWP??? Or maybe it's the other way 'round

I need to hear about how the show went!!!!

Oh, and I'm finally online again! And, unfortunately I totally missed out about Sue's idea for raising funds for a birthday pressie for Marty, due to my internet deprivation Such a great idea though!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
i only have the album Starfish, and i love it. what album would you all suggest i try next?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i only have the album Starfish, and i love it. what album would you all suggest i try next?
Oops! I didn't see this until now...sorry.

I love Heyday, the album just before Starfish and think that's always a good choice. Gold Afternoon Fix is the album just after Starfish and was my most listened to Church album for years. It's a good album, but it does lack a certain something Starfish had. Still it's a good album with a lot of songs I still love today.

Another choice is to get the most recent singles compilation from them, titled Deep in the Shallows. It's a two disc set and it's actually a pretty good introduction to the band and a decent way of figuring out what part of their career you'd like to explore more. I do think it's an Australia only release so that could be a bit of a problem, but it's amazingly enjoyable. I mean I have every song on this and just bought it to support the band, but after listening to it a couple of times I found I quite enjoy it. It's particularly good when you want to hear the "lighter" or poppier side of the band.

Hope that helps.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 AM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's a link to a photo tour (with copious audio clips! -- when Steve called in to take questions and talk about his art he talked for over an hour. I think it surprised people, but when he gets going he can talk a blue streak!) of the SK art exhibit.

click here
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Looks good, you did a good job girlfriend!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #218
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post

Thanks so much Indra for posting the link to the photo's of the exhibit ... wow, there are so many amazing paintings there .. how wonderful it would be to go on a massive shopping spree!

I can't wait to hear the audio clips
Old 06-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #219
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I was going to suggest 'Heyday' to mikal also .. I think this was the first Church album I bought for myself and still love to this day And I agree, 'Deep in the Shallows' is a wonderful introduction to their music - I've suggested/bought this CD for a few friends in hopes of converting them to my favourite band!

I'd also recommend 'Hologram of Baal' if you can find it ... I've been listening to it quite alot lately
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #220
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceEnding View Post

Thanks so much Indra for posting the link to the photo's of the exhibit ... wow, there are so many amazing paintings there .. how wonderful it would be to go on a massive shopping spree!

I can't wait to hear the audio clips
Thanks! It actually does look very good and I'm quite pleased with it. Now if I could just get more people to come see it. And buy all of it of course!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been neglecting this thread so I figured I'd post this pic. It was taken during rehearsals for the ARIA HOF thingie (which also explains the inset of David McComb).

He looks so happy!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #222
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

He does! I saw a bit of the HOF thing on the news tonight (no sighting of SK sorry) but quite a bit on the Triffids, a bit of their speech and the best bit of all, Rolf Harris doing Tie me Kangaroo Down sport!!!

Not enough wobble board in rock, I've always said....
Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #223
Refugee

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Oops! I didn't see this until now...sorry.

I love Heyday, the album just before Starfish and think that's always a good choice. Gold Afternoon Fix is the album just after Starfish and was my most listened to Church album for years. It's a good album, but it does lack a certain something Starfish had. Still it's a good album with a lot of songs I still love today.

Another choice is to get the most recent singles compilation from them, titled Deep in the Shallows. It's a two disc set and it's actually a pretty good introduction to the band and a decent way of figuring out what part of their career you'd like to explore more. I do think it's an Australia only release so that could be a bit of a problem, but it's amazingly enjoyable. I mean I have every song on this and just bought it to support the band, but after listening to it a couple of times I found I quite enjoy it. It's particularly good when you want to hear the "lighter" or poppier side of the band.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to recommend "After Everything Now This" - it's got some real mellow moments but it's absolutley gorgeous!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 AM   #224
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
I'm going to recommend "After Everything Now This" - it's got some real mellow moments but it's absolutley gorgeous!!!
I agree, I adore this album Especially 'Invisible' and 'Night Friends'

I absolutely love that photo of SK!! It's funny when SK says that the Triffid's 'Wide Open Road' is one song that he dearly would of love to of written/performed himself ... well, seeing that photo makes me wish that's one shot that I would dearly love to be able to take!

I saw a little snippet on the news last night of the HOF ceremony and was very excited to see SK (even if was just for a few seconds!) during the performance of 'The Real Thing' and onstage with the Triffids I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that I can get one of my friends to tape the ceremony when it's on VH1 over the weekend. It would of been amazing to have gone, but I just couldn't afford it
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 AM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

I've caught just a few snippets of the coverage myself...one was during rehearsals (when that pic was snapped) and had a fair amount of footage of WOR and also of SK talking about it, but the clip seems to be gone now. Wah!!

Oh, and if nothing Churchy of the live variety is happening over the next several months you can always plan to head to Sydney in late September. Check out the Upcoming Shows list on the All India Radio Myspace page here . You can see a couple of Steve's paintings too.

Tags
the church