The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a kick out of this review of Steve and Marty's new solo albums -- not only was it a decent review, it was also hilarious in spots. I highlighted some of my favourite bits in bold. Always nice to have some humour in reviews. :D

Review of SK's Painkiller and MWP's Nightjar on PopMatters. link

By John Bergstrom

For some bands, the alchemy that occurs when several disparate personalities walk into a studio is nearly absolute. This impression solidifies over time, as a sound is forged, honed, and then shaped into albums. To try and figure out who brings exactly what to the table seems beside the point, as the music seems to emerge wholly formed, with a personality of its own.

That’s been the case with the Australian band the Church for over 20 years now. Since 1988’s breakthrough Starfish album at least, they’ve worked their expansive, psychedelic, yet often highly melodic guitar-pop into something of an institution. With each successive album, the sound is tweaked and the songs are new, but the sonic footprint is familiar and natural.

Under these circumstances, the simultaneous emergence, originally in 2008, of solo albums by both lyricist/singer/bassist Steve Kilbey and guitarist Marty Willson-Piper offers a rare opportunity. All four Church principals are continually involved in a web of side-projects and one-offs. These true solo albums, though, the first by either artist in seven-plus years, give a fairly revealing picture of Kilbey’s and Willson-Piper’s contributions to the mother band. That’s because Painkiller and Nightjar could both be considered quintessential. Also, they find their creators, both now on the far side of 50, confident and sonically ambitious as ever.

Basically, Kilbey is the brooding, experimental, slightly mad sonic shaman, while Willson-Piper is the traditionalist, the virtuoso guitarist steeped in the singer/songwriter tradition. That’s oversimplification, of course. Also, and crucially, both Kilbey and Willson-Piper have long ago shifted away from traditional rock’n’roll archetypes. If anyone’s taking an artistic leap here, it’s Willson-Piper, putting down his most thoughtful, folk-leaning set of tunes to date. Still, the two sonic identities are laid out in the music.

Painkiller is classic Kilbey from the very first track. His enchanting, sing/speak voice hasn’t changed much in ages. Furthermore, “Outbound” rides on one of those mantra-like, trance basslines he’s been fond of for decades. Lyrically and vocally, it’s another in a series of stream-of-consciousness, free-associating rants. While hardly an artistic stretch, a song like this does allow you to be treated to couplets like, “Sonic anathema / Wake up you dreamer / I’m fallin’ outta’ Heaven gonna crash on your Beemer”. This all leads up to what has long been Kilbey’s trump card, an airy, melodic sigh of a chorus. You could even say it’s “catchy”.

The remainder of Painkiller finds Kilbey, working with Church drummer/producer Tim Powles, in similarly familiar territory, only sounding a bit closer to the Deep End than he has before.
The disoriented feeling is enhanced by the continuous stream of subterranean echoes, ghostly guitar effects, and disembodied radio transmissions that snakes through the album. At best, as on the shimmering, sublime “Celestial” or the too-brief “Look Homeward Angel”, the sound is a progression of the Church’s 1992 masterpiece, Priest=Aura. But some intensely personal moments do creep through the thick atmosphere. “Crystalline Rush” is an aching lament of lost time and dashed expectations, Kilbey admitting, “I thought it would be so much warmer / When I laid down with you”. Nearly three decades into his career, he tries on a naked falsetto to convey the vulnerability, and he gets away with it.

What Kilbey doesn’t get away with is some of the relatively aimless navel-gazing that has marred his other solo work. A pair of instrumental jams couch some nice moments, but chiefly distract from the spell. And “Spirit in Flame” is an overcooked dub excursion that goes nowhere. These moments make you wish he had thrown in a couple more of his jangle-pop red herrings, like the intoxicating “Wolfe”, instead. While Painkiller hardly rewrites the book on Kilbey, it does add a few worthwhile chapters, and suggests the bard still has plenty of spells in his pen.

If Kilbey is the Church’s resident bard, Willson-Piper is its trusty Rock Star. If the live show calls for someone to move around and make an awkward face while cranking out a guitar solo, he’s your man. Likewise, his songwriting has exhibited a certain bravado that sometimes lapses into pretension and thick-headedness of Spinal Tap proportions. His songwriting contributions to the Church’s albums have been stronger over the eight years since his last solo album, however, and Nightjar follows through on that promise. Sweeping 12-string guitars abound, but the rock ‘n ‘roll posturing is gone, allowing Willson-Piper to focus more on folk, singer/songwriter, and even country-western sounds. The result is unexpectedly warm and endearing.

The hypnotic opener “No One There” is about as psychedelic as Nightjar gets, but Willson-Piper keeps the noodling to a minimum, making up for any pretension with a blanketing arrangement and sharp horn blasts. “More Is Less”, the album’s strongest track, is strikingly good. A cascading acoustic arpeggio worthy of Lindsey Buckingham and austere strings again overcome clunker lyrics like “When is the end of the start?” And for the remainder of Nightjar, Willson-Piper settles into this serene, reflective, largely acoustic mood. “Feed Your Mind” is a singsong picture of rural domesticity, recalling Van Morrison and contemporaries such as the Lilac Time. The delicate ballad “I Must Have Fallen” is stark and affecting where it could have just as easily been dumb, just as “The Love You Never Had” credibly employs lap steel.

Like Kilbey, Willson-Piper is, at this point in his career, far from immune to his more wayward tendencies. His rich, friendly voice has never sounded warmer, but he often tries to cram too many words into his songs. Ironically, several of the songs go on longer than is necessary, or advisable before some boredom sets in. Also, depending on your vantage point, the soul-style female backing vocals and bamboo flute (!) solo on “Song for Victor Jara” are either nice touches or laughably self-indulgent.

Take the best halves of these two albums, and you’ve got one heck of a platter. But that’s really beside the point, as these US issues closely trail the new Church album. As usual, the band is better than the sum of its parts, but these time-tested parts command respect. More importantly, they hold up to repeated listening.

Untitled #23

Has anyone else here heard the new Church album Untitled #23?

Masterpiece.

Dense, hypnotic and a feast for the ears. I haven't stopped playing it since it came out. The five star review in Rolling Stone Australia is spot on...first we are treated to the excellent NLOTH and now U23 (have to love the irony in THAT abbreviation given SK's repulsion at comparisons to Bono!), truly a great year for music we all love.

Seriously, this new album is a grower with each listen. The layers that are found with each track cannot be overestimated, it's just that good. Dark and brooding with gorgeous melodies at every turn.

Cobalt Blue is a brooding opener in their classic mode, Deadman's Hand is trippy, and Pangaea is the most gorgeous thing released this year since Moment of Surrender. And that's just the first three tracks out of the ten soundscapes presented here. Probably their finest hour since 1992's Priest=Aura and for a band this good, that is saying something!

This new period of prolific releases sees these "old cranky bastards" getting better with each release. They are in it now for the pure love of creating gorgeous and textured music for themselves to sit back and admire.

I have tickets for both U2 and The Church this year and I don't think I could be any happier! I wonder what others think of the new album. I am in love with it (in case you didn't pick up on that ;)

I'm posting in this thread instead of the other open Church one because I love the title (it's a good one, if I must say so myself ;) ), and I think it fits with what I'm posting. :)

The Church was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame last night and Steve (with bits from Marty, Peter, and Tim) gave one hell of an acceptance speech! It's kinda long -- oh hell it's really long (the clip is nearly 16 minutes!) -- but it's hilarious, and remarkably sweet. In other words -- THIS is an acceptance speech.

Rockwiz uploaded the entire, unedited speech to their Facebook page because they got so many requests for it, but since it's so long it will have to be heavily edited for the broadcast show. So click here for the link and have a listen!

(you might have to have a facebook account to be able to see it).

Awesome!!!! :lol: Richard Wilkins, on his entertainment spot on brekky tv the next day, gave SK's speech as his best moment of the night. Even with the Richard Wilde reference :wink:

Although Steve got loads of attention for his "I-don't-have-a-speech speech, I think Marty may well have gotten the best line with "We've worked so hard to be aloof and enigmatic." :lol:

Here's a pic of Steve at rehearsals for the HoF. The really cool thing is that he's wearing the shirt (an image of Van Gogh's Starry Night) I sent him for his birthday. :D

skatARIAHoFrehearsal2010.jpg

and a link to a short interview done at the HoF award. Click here.

:)

The Future Past Perfect 2011 Winter Tour is under way! About a week and a half before I see them. The following link is to the YouTube page of a user who uploaded videos of every song from Priest=Aura and Starfish (his battery died during Hotel Womb, so that song is cut off) as performed at the first show of the tour. :)

YouTube - zshad's Channel (this link takes you to Film)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGn7JnudgAM&feature=related (Aura)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHH5kW50cc&feature=related (Swan Lake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzTJR5S2dQE&feature=related (Chaos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3Dl-IT_e4&feature=related (Reptile)

I'm trying to think positively -- no snow, no ice!!! -- in the hope that the weather cooperates. :yes:

I do admit I quite frequently think "February?? Who the fuck thought a tour of mostly northern US states in February was a good idea??" :angry: :grumpy: :mad: :crack: :huh:

Weather is good (whew!). Sound engineer fell off the stage in Chicago and broke both wrists...he's planning on finishing out the tour with a couple of wrist braces and then seeking additional treatment when he gets home (gotta love US health insurance :rolleyes: ).

And the show...wow! It's not a jumping up and down, screaming your brains out show -- it's very much of a really paying attention to the music kind of show (in fact the house rules at the venue they played in last night include staying seated and silent during the shows -- and it worked for this show). I'm not sure the casual fan would be willing to spend 4 hours (including 2 intermission) for this show, but for serious fans it's wonderful. And so far those serious fans are turning out -- they are getting the best attendance they've had in years. Great to see. :)

Not sure this will work...I tried to embed a video from Vimeo, but it didn't work, so I just linked to the video instead...so it will take you one more step to see it. Watch it anyway! Of course, it's not a video of any of the songs (need to did a few of those up..some of the songs were really intense live), it's a video Steve took of his very posh corner suite. I have to admit I rather like that it (the posh suite) is something different and fun for him instead of being "the usual."

http://thetimebeing.com/videos/abode/

:)

Some more videos from the tour. :)

On Angel Street in Atlanta (last show). Very intense song, especially during the last week of the tour. The lights were way down for most of the song, so there's not much to see until the end, but the audio is quite good. I absolutely love this song live.

YouTube - The Church - On Angel Street - 2/22/11 - Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse - Future Past Perfect

Anchorage in Philadelphia. This one also gained a great deal of intensity from Philadelphia on. Hell, everything got more intense beginning in Philadelphia....

YouTube - The Church - Anchorage - Trocadero Theater

The Disillusionist in Philadelphia. That's our Killer....

YouTube - The Church - The Disillusionist - Trocadero Theater

Heyday is a really damn good album; I think I like Night of Light the most. Between that album and Starfish, they're two-for-for by my estimation. Where should I go next?

Heyday is a really damn good album; I think I like Night of Light the most. Between that album and Starfish, they're two-for-for by my estimation. Where should I go next?

I think you'd dig the jangle all over Seance. It may not be the album most people hurry to, but I think it's massively under-rated (it's my #1 album by them) and it should be right up your alley.

Generally with the church the earlier albums are more pop and the later ones more psychedelic. I do quite like Seance...the production does sound very 80's, and they weren't too pleased with it, but I never minded it. Many church fans love the first two albums -- Of Skins & Heart (aka The Church in the UK and US) and The Blurred Crusade -- and while I generally enjoy these songs played live I'm not nearly as fond of them as originally recorded. But I would certainly recommend you give them a try.

The label wanted a repeat of Starfish on their next album, Gold Afternoon Fix, but it didn't quite work (does it ever?). I think there are quite a few really good songs on GAF, but somehow it just didn't have the magic that Starfish did. Still I think it's well worth a listen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for those in Australia you may be able to catch a special on MAX TV this month on the church's A Psychedelic Symphony show from earlier this year. Here's the link for anyone who's interested.

Not that anyone reads this thread, but what the hell, I'm posting it anyway.

If you are interested in seeing the church live, it's probably wise to see them this year. They are imploding (more than usual) and it's very possible they will be no more after the tour dates they have already confirmed. Click here for an article detailing the public bits of their most recent internal drama.

And click here for the list of gigs they are playing over the next couple of months. Most are part of a package tour, but two -- one in Melbourne and one in Sydney -- have the church as headliners. Steve has mentioned to me that they are scheduled to do another show in March or April in Canberra, but that one isn't showing up anywhere yet.

Already got my tickets to the Melbourne show. :up:

Can't wait, especially with the inner turmoil problems hanging over their future. I hope they weather this like they have weathered so much in their career, but if they don't ... I'd just love to hear Electric Lash live before they go. I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be in the setlist, but a guy can dream.

I'm betting they will just keep muddling on in their typical highly dysfunctional manner never actually solving anything.... At least the drama can be entertaining. :lol:

One of the shows from the Australian leg of the Future Past Perfect tour where they played three of their albums (Untitled 23, Priest=Aura and Starfish) in full was taped and the first part (Untitled 23) of that is now streaming here. The other two sections (Priest=Aura and Starfish) will stream next week.

I really loved the FPP tour (US version) so it's great to be able to see it again on video.

Wow, the gig's next week. That's crept up on me. Hey indra, put in a good word for Electric Lash to His Kilbeyness on my behalf, will you? :wink:

Enjoy the show tomorrow! SK noted on his blog there would be some surprises, so that should be interesting. I have no idea what they are playing though...last time I talked to him was last week just as rehearsals began and they hadn't worked out a set list yet. Rehearsals never seem to go particularly well with them, so I steer well clear.

And the second album (Priest=Aura) from the Future Past Perfect tour last year is now streaming on Moshcam. Click here.

I see they're scheduled for two sets tomorrow, 9:30-10:20 and then 10:30-11:30+. I wonder if that indicates anything ... or if they're just getting old and need a mid-show rest. :lol:

Honestly, I'll be over the moon if they do ANYTHING from Seance at all, but I'm not getting my hopes up. One Day, Disappear?, and especially Electric Lash would evoke a sufficiently excited reaction as to embarrass myself. (This has actually happened before at other bands, including Robert Scott of The Bats pointing to me and saying "well at least one guy here knows the song".)

Mid show pee break. If not for the band, for much of the audience.... :wink:

Check out the merch table for coffee mugs with SK art images on them -- they were sourced by me! :D
I hope they sell well....
I've had some interest in them, but this is the first time we are actually trying to sell them.

Hope you have a great time and let me know how it goes!

Awesome show! Definitely the best of the three Church gigs I've seen. More later, but here's the set and brief notes on highlights:

1. Is This Where You Live?
2. Chaos
3. Night Friends
4. Anchorage
5. Appalatia
6. Nothing Seeker
7. Block
8. Lunar [I assume that's what "LUNR" on the printed set meant anyway - I didn't really recognise it and I don't listen to Untitled #23 much, so ...]
9. Ripple
--- mid-show break ---
10. When You Were Mine
11. The Theatre and Its Double
12. Fields of Mars
13. Sealine
14. Maya
15. You Took
16. On Angel Street
17. Snowfaller
18. Constant in Opal

Encore:
19. The Unguarded Moment
(Tantalized was on the printed set as the 20th song, but they could only do one track in the encore due to time constraints.)

Highlights:
- I'd never quite appreciated before just how good Peter Koppes is at guitar; Is This Where You Live and You Took in particular were insane
- Fields of Mars!
- When You Were Mine!
- Appalatia was wonderful
- The banter before Snowfaller about who the hell picked it
- I probably need to take back my harsh words for Angel Street because it sounded really good tonight
- NO UNDER THE MILKY WAY! Steve mentioned early in the show that every song they played, at least one band member had picked because they wanted to play it (though he clearly didn't want to do The Unguarded Moment at the end!).
- Block and Sealine were probably the other top songs, and I better stop here and go to bed now!

Highlights:
- I'd never quite appreciated before just how good Peter Koppes is at guitar; Is This Where You Live and You Took in particular were insane

are you kidding!?! Peter Koppes is a freakin' magician :drool:

I've been trying to find a setlist for the Corner gig as I wasn't able to go, so thanks for supplying the details. I'm definately looking forward to seeing them in Sydney next Thursday night :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom