The Church : New album March 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Under the Milky Way is still one of the greatest songs....ever

:yes: It's one of those songs I can always listen to, no matter how many times I've heard it.

Nice! You're going to be having lots of fun!!!

:yes: I am! :D

So which is the offending song, Indra? Just curious :)

Wow, seeing The Church, then U2 just like last year. This year we are adding Pearl jam to the itinerary as well so it should be a blast!

In terms of merch I need No Certainty Attached. Do you know know if the guys will be signing stuff this time out, Indra? Would really love to get something signed by the guys!

Also, do you think they will churn out the same set list every night like most tours? I would love to get a running list of what they play just in case...the Church Concert Chronicle hasn't updated anything yet. Any ideas on where to check? Hotel Womb had a setlist updated once but nothing since, sadly :(

The offending song -- starts with a vowel and Steve doesn't sing it. Neither does Marty. :shifty:

I'm not sure they will be signing, but I certainly hope at least Steve and Marty come out to chat and sign stuff. If they do come out it is usually about 20 or so minutes after the show ends. Steve tended to go to the merch table when he did come out, so that's a good area to hang out after the show. Sometimes Marty is near the stage, sometimes he's near the merch area...he's the band member in charge of merch (although their record label guy, Stephen works the table at shows), so he does like to come up to see what is selling. I've only seen Peter come out once in the 16 shows I've been to, so I wouldn't count on him. Sometimes Tim comes out and sometimes he doesn't.

(for merch -- they do take credit cards :) )

Setlist -- I'm pretty sure it will remain largely the same, but they may change one or two songs. I just read a review from Seattle (on HW) and the guy mentioned them playing Two Places At Once. The earlier setlists had them playing My Little Problem.

They find it hard to change their setlists much because their schedule is pretty tight and they don't have much time to practice while travelling. Plus they have a very small crew this time around (I think they only have the band members, Tiare, one tech, and the merch guy). Since they will be using different sound and lighting people every show, it's just so much easier to keep the setlist mostly the same.

Check out this link for a boot (streaming) of the first show on the tour and also scans of the program given out to everyone. Right now the program is missing a couple of pages (pages 8 & 9, for Uninvited Like the Clouds and Back With Two Beasts), but the person who put it up said he'd fix that.

Click here for some lovely pics of the band at their LA show at the Roxy. Best pics of them I've seen so far from this tour.

Cleveland show tomorrow! I'm excited, but totally not ready. :crazy:

I still have so much crap to do before I leave...but I'll get there and will have a great time. :)

Hope you have a blast Indra, Our show is coming up this Friday in NY :)

No love for Peter's song eh? Always thought that was one of his best next to A New Season, but that's just me.

Would LOVE it if Two Places at Once replaced My Little Problem for our show at least. By far that is one of my favorite Church songs.

Please post a review here of your experience Indra, we'd love to read about it!

Thanks!

Hope you have a blast Indra, Our show is coming up this Friday in NY :)

No love for Peter's song eh? Always thought that was one of his best next to A New Season, but that's just me.

Would LOVE it if Two Places at Once replaced My Little Problem for our show at least. By far that is one of my favorite Church songs.

Please post a review here of your experience Indra, we'd love to read about it!

Thanks!

Two shows down, one to go, and so far it's been great! I really wondered how well the format these shows are following would work, but they really do! It does reward the long term or major fan by playing songs from all (well...most ;) ) their albums and I really like that. When you see them live you get a real understanding of how good of musicians they really are. Very impressive.

It's still not my favourite, but this version of PK's song isn't too bad. I would still rather hear another song from that album, but it's ok.

They haven't played Two Places At Once at either of the shows I've seen and I am starting to think the person who said they did was mistaken (of was engaging in wishful thinking). It still might happen at your show, but I wouldn't count on it. Sorry to get your hopes up. It's still a great show!

And guess who I drove from Cleveland to Detroit? :D :D :D

Ooh, Fly in the setlist? As long as The Church do a gig in Melbourne and play Fly, I'll be a happy man.

The milkman????

:D

The soymilkman! :D :D

Actually he was more like the soy latte man. :)

Ooh, Fly in the setlist? As long as The Church do a gig in Melbourne and play Fly, I'll be a happy man.

Yep, Fly was in the setlist. And it sounded pretty good too. :)

Check out this Billboard piece on the Church.

Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

Backwards Two Beats...I am still laughing hard at THAT one!

Interesting blurb at the end in terms of plans for the future :)

That last bit might happen as early as this fall. I'm hoping for October in my area at least because September would not be a good time at all. Of course, being the church, it also might not happen at all. :lol:

Enjoy the show tonight and make sure to come back and review it! (I still have to do that for the shows I saw :reject: )

Oh yes! We loved the show immensely! They just get better each time. One of the few bands that can move effortlessly between acoustic and electric gigs and never fail to excite and mesmerize.

Boulton Center...GREAT venue for an intimate show but oddly underpopulated. I hope that doesn't deter them from checking us out on Long Island in the future even though we'd still go to NYC to check them out anyhow.

Got to meet and chat with Marty and Tim last night...they are such wonderful guys! Autographed my stuff and I am kicking myself for not bringing a camera...UGH! As I asked Marty to autograph No Certainty Attached, he related to me that HE was the only member NOT interviewed for the book! I was mortfied...he said, yeah, I am not in it so I asked him to sign it so I could say, "Well NOW you are!"

Tim drew a cartoon of his drum kit right under Marty's signature :) He is a really great guy! Wish Steve and Peter put in an appearance since Steve was known to come out last year a bit after shows but there's always next time!

The guys at the Merch table are great too regaling us with stories of the guys on tour. One guy noted my U2 at from the 360 your and related to me that he had his Joshua Tree shirt on the other day to which I responded, "Did Steve chastize you?" He said, "Nah...I don't think he noticed, thankfully!" Great stuff indeed!

Made it a point to thank Tiare on our way out for all of the hard work she does on behalf of The Church and Marty. Great lady and she is very appreciated!

But the every one of them are appreciated!

Music: GREATNESS. And yea, Appalachia was a great version! Invisible was AMAZING...love the sped-up ending. That ANY band with their long history can still be this exciting after so many years is testament to how great they truly are.

Steve had quite a scare in Maryland. A twee from him on the 27th:

just got apprehended by 2 maryland cops . i was smoking a joint. amazingly they let me go. thought it was all over. phew. now i'm in shock !

Whew! Indeed. An arrest could have meant no more US church shows. :ohmy:

Bonobear -- glad you had such a great time!

From what I understand Marty was asked to be interviewed for NCA, but declined. However, I also seem to remember that the time the author wanted to interview him was early in the 2006 US tour. Given that Marty was crazy busy with the business of running that tour, I can't blame him one bit for saying no. (and Tim wasn't actually interviewed for the book itself -- the author had interviewed him a few years earlier and just used the info from that interview in the book)

The merch table guys -- there is usually just one guy -- Stephen J. who also runs the band's US label (Second Motion). I wonder who the other guy was. :hmm: Maybe it was Frank D -- he made sure some merch (more of SK's art cards) I sent to a venue actually got to the band. I know Stephen is a big U2 fan and went to at least two of the 360 tour shows. And if the other guy was Frank D, well he's a U2 fan who also went to a couple of 360 tour shows. :)

Thanks for he clarification Indra!

Book was a good read, touched on a lot of things I didn't know already as well.

Hope they come back in the fall!

Guess who's going to be playing in Adelaide in December? :hyper:

Ok...given the thread and me being me, it's not a big surprise. :lol:

Anyway, it's 16 December (see I even did the date the Aussie way for ya!), doors at 7:30 pm. No opener, so make sure to get there early.

Here's the blurb:

After touring An Intimate Space to a lively US audience earlier in the year, THE CHURCH bring their acoustic, intimate and inspiring musical journey to The Govs stage. Come and see Steve Kilbey, Peter Koppes, Tim Powles and Marty Willson-Piper play through their own fascinating musical history.
The band will be performing one song from each album over the last 30 years in reverse chronological order. Starting with a track from their critically acclaimed most recent album Untitled #23, falling slowly through the years and landing gently on the first album Of Skins And Heart from 1981. The tour will be an intimate and inspiring journey from the past to the present. Included in the ticket price, every ticket holder will receive a complimentary 28 page colour programme with discographies and reviews as well as short overviews of each album written by Marty Willson-Piper. Thats not all. Ticket holders will also receive a free copy of the Deadmans Hand EP with the title track from untitled #23 and four brand new tracks recorded specifically for this release. This CD has not been available at retail and comes in a beautifully designed picture sleeve. The band will be doing two sets with a short intermission and no support, so be early. And please note, Acoustic means with drums and bass.

And, of course, the link for tickets: click here

The band is supposed to be announcing all the Aussie dates soon, but I stumbled across this one during my daily Steve web mentions stalking :shifty: and figured I'd post it. The thread needed reviving anyway. ;)

Do let me know as soon as a Melbourne show is announced. So keen.

(Though god, December's looking like it's going to have one crowded concert schedule.)

Guess who's going to be playing in Adelaide in December? :hyper:

Ok...given the thread and me being me, it's not a big surprise. :lol:

Anyway, it's 16 December (see I even did the date the Aussie way for ya!), doors at 7:30 pm. No opener, so make sure to get there early.

Here's the blurb:

And, of course, the link for tickets: click here

The band is supposed to be announcing all the Aussie dates soon, but I stumbled across this one during my daily Steve web mentions stalking :shifty: and figured I'd post it. The thread needed reviving anyway. ;)

oh my god :crack: :crack:

ooops, what am I doing here?? :reject:

Do let me know as soon as a Melbourne show is announced. So keen.

(Though god, December's looking like it's going to have one crowded concert schedule.)

It should be within a few days. Then again, it is the Church, so who really knows? :lol:

It never occurred to me that U2 was also touring Australia in December. :uhoh: :lol: Of course, it's your summer then, so lots of touring going on then.

And Steve Kilbey is in your fair city as we speak (err...type). He's at the Melbourne Writers Festival. Doing a few sessions -- a thing tonight at the Northcote Social Club with a couple of other musicians; a Best of the Fest thingie (which appears to be open only to University of Melbourne Alumni); and an hour long freebie chat/sing thing on Sunday at the Festival Club, ACMI. For more info click here.

oh my god :crack: :crack:

ooops, what am I doing here?? :reject:

Heh heh, you know the Church will always suck you back in.... :lol:

So where the hell is blueeyedgirl? I posted this especially for her. :waiting::waiting:

It should be within a few days. Then again, it is the Church, so who really knows? :lol:

It never occurred to me that U2 was also touring Australia in December. :uhoh: :lol: Of course, it's your summer then, so lots of touring going on then.

And Steve Kilbey is in your fair city as we speak (err...type). He's at the Melbourne Writers Festival. Doing a few sessions -- a thing tonight at the Northcote Social Club with a couple of other musicians; a Best of the Fest thingie (which appears to be open only to University of Melbourne Alumni); and an hour long freebie chat/sing thing on Sunday at the Festival Club, ACMI. For more info click here.

Heh heh, you know the Church will always suck you back in.... :lol:

So where the hell is blueeyedgirl? I posted this especially for her. :waiting::waiting:

I think she is busy buying U2 tickets :tsk:

can't wait for further tour date announcements :hyper::hyper: The Church one's I mean!

oops! I meant Saturday on the chat/sing thing I mentioned above. My brain has deserted me....

This is quite frustrating for me, because I'm in Sydney this week! Fly back today, but too late to make the Best of the Fest thing - and I'm a Melbourne Uni postgrad too! May be able to make the Saturday appearance though. I see he's going to be back in Melbourne on 29/10 to perform with Glenn Bennie at Northcote ...

Here's a show in Thornbury. 17 December.

The Thornbury Theatre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ooohh! Just found some more info...looks like it could be most of the tour dates. Not official yet, so there could be more (or one or more of these might get dropped), but it's good for advance planning.

The Church 'An Intimate Space' 30th Anniversary Acoustic Tour

26 Nov Joe’s Waterhole Hotel QLD
27 Nov Judith Wright Centre QLD
4 Dec Tilley's Devine Cafe Gallery ACT
5 Dec Notes Newtown NSW
8 Dec Lizotte's Kincumber NSW
9 Dec Lizotte's Newcastle NSW
10 Dec Lizotte's Newcastle NSW
11 Dec Milton Theatre NSW
16 Dec Governor Hindmarsh Hotel SA
17 Dec The Thornbury Theatre VIC
18 Dec Blakiston Theatre - Geelong Performing Arts Centre VIC

Link has links to the various venues.

Well hey, that Thornbury gig is not too far from me, maybe a 70-80 minute walk, and it manages to avoid clashing with U2 or Muse.

Now here's hoping other bands likely to announce tours don't clash either ...

Here's a show in Thornbury. 17 December.

The Thornbury Theatre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ooohh! Just found some more info...looks like it could be most of the tour dates. Not official yet, so there could be more (or one or more of these might get dropped), but it's good for advance planning.

The Church 'An Intimate Space' 30th Anniversary Acoustic Tour

26 Nov Joe’s Waterhole Hotel QLD
27 Nov Judith Wright Centre QLD
4 Dec Tilley's Devine Cafe Gallery ACT
5 Dec Notes Newtown NSW
8 Dec Lizotte's Kincumber NSW
9 Dec Lizotte's Newcastle NSW
10 Dec Lizotte's Newcastle NSW
11 Dec Milton Theatre NSW
16 Dec Governor Hindmarsh Hotel SA
17 Dec The Thornbury Theatre VIC
18 Dec Blakiston Theatre - Geelong Performing Arts Centre VIC

Link has links to the various venues.

Fff ...... n' hell!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

sorry, I'm just so excited now :crack:

hmmm, Milton Theatre NSW .. wonder where that is :hmm:

the one at Tilley's in Canberra would be nice to go to as well :love: So happy about the two VIC dates as well, how exciting!

Geeze, I had the crummiest day today Indra, this has so made me happy :D And I'm excited about seeing SK tomorrow at the talk-singy-thingy, even though I feel pretty gross.

Thank yooooou

Here's a nice pic I took today of SK at the Songwriting discussion at the Festival Club

stevek.jpg

:cute:

How'd the Songwriting session go? I was way, way too ill to make it.

How'd the Songwriting session go? I was way, way too ill to make it.

:( I'm sorry to hear that Ax, do you have that horrible 'flu going around by any chance?? I'm slowly recovering myself, it's the never ending cold! I hope you get better soon!

It's a shame you missed out on yesterday's fun, I was wondering if I'd see you there! Such a wonderful afternoon, it was more a gab fest between Steve and Dave Graney (pretty sure you'd know of him!) talking about all sorts of things .. not so much about songwriting, but everything else! Mostly about their musical inspirations (Marc Bolan, the Byrds, the Beatles ..) crazy ex-Church drummers, screaming matches with past band managers and music exec's, threesomes, tongue-kissing ( :ohmy: ) and a little bit about the songwriting process of Under a Milky Way and the institution it's become :wink:

Steve also brought along his beautiful 12 string guitar (which just sounds so beautiful, especially when you really close up!) and played a few tunes and snippets of songs, including 'Almost with You' which I said think sounds sooo gorgeous. He also did a new song 'Ancient World' which is also very good! His latest blog on his timebeing.com website is well worth a read if you haven't done so already, talking about all the shows he's done in the past few days :D

Oooh, I wanted to say, you must check out the Thornbury Theatre website, because the tickets for the Church's concert in December are on sale, so you might as well get in early if you want to score yourself a seat! Not sure if Indra's mentioned it so far, but there's also another gig coming up in October, featuring Steve Kilbey and GB3 at the Northcote Social Club on October 29. I think the tickets are about $15 .. total bargain! Definately going along to that!

:hyper:

Guess who is getting inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame this year? :)

(that's a tough one isn't it?)

Back
Top Bottom