The Church : New album March 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you coming to New York's Irving Plaza show as well Indra? Hope to see you there!

eekie's not allowed to freak out!!!!! :crack: You're gonna have the best time :hug: :D

oh yeah, and please, please do take some photo's!!!!!

I AM having the best time! Got back to the hotel from the Falls Church show -- oh my, it was wonderful! I'm super tired right now, but I'll try to post some details later.

And I actually took some pics!! They might suck though, and I can't put them up until I get home. But at least I'm taking some now!

Today is an off day so I'm going to see if I can pick up a few things to make it easier for the merch guy. Yep, seeing the Church and shopping for packaging/office supplies -- two of indra's great loves. :lol:

Are you coming to New York's Irving Plaza show as well Indra? Hope to see you there!

No, I just havce a week, so my last show is going to be Londonderry, NH on July 3. :(

Steve and Marty have been coming out to the the merch table after the shows lately. It takes them a little while to get there (they need a little decompression time after the gigs), so if you want to meet them, don't leave right away.

I'm also going to the Irving Plaza show on 7/8/2009. My friend recently got me into The Church. I'm really looking forward to the show. :hyper:

^

Should be a great show! New York is one of those cities where they often have excellent shows. Let us know what you think. :)

^

Should be a great show! New York is one of those cities where they often have excellent shows. Let us know what you think. :)

I will. I've never been to Irving Plaza before, so I'm also psyched about that. :hyper:

I can't wait to see all of this merch I've been hearing about. Maybe, I'll pick up a cool tee shirt.

^^what video is that for Indra?? I can't watch it at the moment .. if it's an '80's one, it's probably funny :hyper:

Can't wait to see some photo's :D I wish I was there :sad:

^^what video is that for Indra?? I can't watch it at the moment .. if it's an '80's one, it's probably funny :hyper:

Can't wait to see some photo's :D I wish I was there :sad:

It's for The Venetians -- Tim's old band. The song is Ooh La La. Steve was pulling up cheesy 80's videos and interviews on YouTube backstage in Falls Church -- this one got the biggest laughs (although one of SK's old interviews was pretty damned funny too). :)

Still having a grand time. Helping out with merch (mostly packing out, but also some sales right after the shows, and some set up) and just helping out whenever I can. Yesterday in Annapolis I got to guard the guitars when they left the stage before the encore. :D Today I was the fetcher of dinner. :lol:

Yep, the glamour baby -- I'm right in the thick of it! :lol:

Oh, and I think I'm catching the tour cold/flu. Lovely. :crack:

The band and crew is driving most of the way to the next venue tonight as they have an early load in. I gotta feel for them -- three or so hours of driving in the middle of the night after a gig (and load out). They've done that a lot this time -- I'm always a bit worried about them doing those drives.

Still having a grand time. Helping out with merch (mostly packing out, but also some sales right after the shows, and some set up) and just helping out whenever I can. Yesterday in Annapolis I got to guard the guitars when they left the stage before the encore. :D Today I was the fetcher of dinner. :lol:

This paragraph made my day :lol: :hyper: I'll have to tell my sister about you being the guitar guard, she'll be jealous, haha! :angry: :wink:

Good for you matey, take care of yourself too. I've heard olive leaf extract is really good for colds and things if you can find it at a health food store in your travels.

:hug:

The band and crew is driving most of the way to the next venue tonight as they have an early load in. I gotta feel for them -- three or so hours of driving in the middle of the night after a gig (and load out). They've done that a lot this time -- I'm always a bit worried about them doing those drives.

This turned out to be the correct choice. I took off from Philly at 11 am and picked up a friend in NJ (the Church video guy). The trip should have taken under six hours. It took us 10. We had about a 100 miles of traffic jam, and spent over an hour on the GW bridge alone. :crack:

Rocked up to the venue at 9pm, so we actually made it in time, but that was exhausting. PV kept getting these "where ARE you?!!" calls, but he's a great travel companion (ie, calm). Makes a great story anyway.

Tonight is my last show...I'm ready to go home, but I'll miss them. :(

They were actually in Boston tonight!! I was reading the paper and there was the listing for where they would be and a very small article on them. :) :up:

They were! They were at Showcase Live which is part of the Whole Gillette Stadium complex. So when you are hanging out waiting for the U2 concert you can see the place my dear Churchies played. It's a lovely venue. I think they quite enjoyed it.

This paragraph made my day :lol: :hyper: I'll have to tell my sister about you being the guitar guard, she'll be jealous, haha! :angry: :wink:

Good for you matey, take care of yourself too. I've heard olive leaf extract is really good for colds and things if you can find it at a health food store in your travels.

:hug:

I was very proud of myself guarding the guitars. :lol:

That was a really funky little venue, but the show was hugely fun.

I also am now the queen of duct tape and sharpies. :D

And I picked the best GPS unit. Even the band's isn't as nice (it doesn't give them enough warning for exits and turns etc.). They should should get me to pick this stuff out for them. :yes:

Queen of Duct Tape 'eh?? That sounds a little bit kinky to me when I think about it ... :ohmy: :shifty:

I'm not sure what sharpies is :huh:

What on earth have they got you doing?!?!

:lol:

Queen of Duct Tape 'eh?? That sounds a little bit kinky to me when I think about it ... :ohmy: :shifty:

I'm not sure what sharpies is :huh:

What on earth have they got you doing?!?!

They had me slaving away at the merch table, that's what. The kind of pitiful thing is I volunteered! Stephen, the guy who runs their US label (Second Motion Records) took care of merch, but they put the call out for helpers, so being the complete Church geek I am, I volunteered. Mostly I helped out after the shows when there were a lot of people in line to buy things, and then tearing down and hauling stuff out to the trailer. Yep, it's a glamourous life I lead. :lol:

Sharpies are a brand of marker often used for signing cds etc. I always carry at least one Sharpie (hey, you never know when you'll need one of these things! :lol: ) so when SK and MWP came down to sign stuff I always had a Sharpie for them to use even if no one else did. And on the day without a show I picked up a bunch of Sharpies (some silver ink and some black ink) and duct tape for the merch guy. :yes:

But now my Church Excursion is over...just got back to my hotel from my last gig...and I'm feeling a bit blue. I am ready to go home, but I will certainly miss everyone. :sad:

Now putting my hopes into a 30th anniversary tour next year. And possibly a Kilbey/Kennedy tour....

Hey...a girl can hope! :D

(ok...this is horribly Pleba-like of me, but Steve had somewhat shorter shorts on today and I kept looking and thinking "Damn, those really are a fine looking pair of legs!" :D Even snapped a few pics.... :shifty: )

Yeah, where are they???? :waiting:

Glad to hear you had a great time, oh keeper of merch, and procurer of dinner. Though the one hour stuck on a bridge didn't sound thatrock'n'roll.... :hug:

And I see Indra has already posted but Trance, you and I prob know sharpies better as textas. :wink:

They were! They were at Showcase Live which is part of the Whole Gillette Stadium complex. So when you are hanging out waiting for the U2 concert you can see the place my dear Churchies played. It's a lovely venue. I think they quite enjoyed it.

Were you at Gillette?? I won't be there to see U2. I'll be seeing them in Chicago in September. :hyper:

Were you at Gillette?? I won't be there to see U2. I'll be seeing them in Chicago in September. :hyper:

Just the Showcase Live venue, which is apparently part of the whole complex. It was a great place to see a show. Very, very nice.

Yeah, where are they???? :waiting:

Glad to hear you had a great time, oh keeper of merch, and procurer of dinner. Though the one hour stuck on a bridge didn't sound thatrock'n'roll.... :hug:

And I see Indra has already posted but Trance, you and I prob know sharpies better as textas. :wink:

Hey, I just got home a few hours ago! :grumpy:

I had to drop the video guy back off in New Jersey -- and we went back across that bridge from Hell to get there. It wasn't bad on the way back though because it was on the 4th and everyone was already out of the city on holiday. We stayed overnight at his (the video guy's) friend's place (and caught fireworks -- the video of the fireworks on SK's blog was from that). Then I drove back home today.

I'll post a couple of pics in the next day or so. I'll probably blather on a bit about the shows, etc. too. :D

Sounds like a great experience Indra! Hope we get to see them after the show in NYC.

22 hours until Irving Plaza here! Going with my buddy who haunts here (his first Church show!) and another friend if he ever checks in with us :)

Psyched! 3rd time seeing them...will report after show!

Sounds like a great experience Indra! Hope we get to see them after the show in NYC.

22 hours until Irving Plaza here! Going with my buddy who haunts here (his first Church show!) and another friend if he ever checks in with us :)

Psyched! 3rd time seeing them...will report after show!

Hope you get a great show! They've been remarkably consistant this time around, so it should be excellent.

Click here to see some excellent pics (obviously not mine! :lol: ) of them at the NH show.

I'm still recovering, but will post some pics (not nearly as good as the ones in the link above :( but some aren't too dreadful) and stuff about the shows, etc. soon.

One pic I wish I had taken was of the cop snapping a pic of Steve and a fan. The look on Steve's face must have been priceless! :lol:

Here are a few pics. A photographer I certainly am not! :lol:

Sound check in New Hampshire. Sadly, this is the best pic of the legs (well, you know I didn't want to be too obviously gawking :uhoh: ), but it isn't all that good. :( Also shows their guest keyboard player (second from left). They tried to stuff him under the stage to play (you know, so only the four guys in the Church were seen onstage), but he's a scrappy little dude, so he got to stay out in the open on stage. :wink:
eekieschurchexcursion2009002-1.jpg

It's kind of dark and blurry, but I like it...Steve signing stuff at the merch table after the show in Falls Church.
eekieschurchexcursion2009033-1.jpg

Steve getting an impromptu massage after the Annapolis show.
eekieschurchexcursion2009038-1.jpg

I think this was at the Troc in Philadelphia. Not a great pic.
eekieschurchexcursion2009042.jpg

Well it's done. We have survived to tell the tale...speak of the deeds...happy to report that they "still doth rock verily" as the Killer says on The Time Being :)

To quote the Killer himself in the scorching opener Tantalized:

"God I've been asleep so long, I've been away
Back from software limbo the natives call today
I let their promises bind me
The seductive logic blind me
I embraced a machine, went through the routine
I hid from the people who were trying to find me

Till the day comes when you realize
Otherwise you never care
Pandora's box reveals a new surprise
Can't wait to see your eyes
Now you've been tantalized!"

Sums it all up for me.

They rocked like their lives depended on it. Harder and more intense than bands half their age. At times it felt and sounded like a hard rock gig...that's how intense this tour rocked and how tight they are. This is my third Church tour and I have never seen SK on fire like he was last night. Marty and Peter's hands/fingers were just a blur as they churned out sound...Tim was steady thunder throughout as always...and Steve smiled, jumped and thrashed around like a kid with something to prove...the man is happy and having the time of his life and it shows :)

If they are not selling albums by the truckload anymore (they DESERVE to; U#23 is BRILLIANT!) then someone forgot to tell them because they kicked it to a new level last night. Both of my crew left happy and wanting more which means mission accomplished!

Highlights: Pretty much every song...standouts: Tantalized opens with ferocity...Block gets a great response as does Day 5...NSEW, a song I never warmed to before now requires multiple listens...Happenstance was etheral...A Month of Sundays was gorgeous...You Took takes it to a whole other level (my neck is still sore from rocking to that one)...Pangaea was gorgeous, Almost With You was greatness...Operetta was just HEAVEN! Milky Way and Reptile are just as brilliant as ever and An Interlude is always one of my faves...Space Saviour was just intense! Marty is just a god on the guitar and the jams were off the charts last night.

No complaints, except the tool who kept yelling "AURA" between every song to which SK always dismisses with his usual humor...last night it was something like,"Penal law prohibits us from those playing songs!"

Would love a vaired set list from town to town but damn the show was brilliant, so no worries whatsoever.

Pure joy! Called in sick at work today to recover...at 41 here I rocked and bopped like I was 18 again which is no small feat! If you can see this show...RUN, don't walk good people.

They doth rock verily!

Well, last night was my first Church show ever and I loved every second of it. I've seen so many bands over the years, but The Church are the first band I've really ever seen where I was nearly at the front of the stage.

In preparation for the show, my friend bonobear made me, not one, but FOUR Church compilation cd's. By the time the show arrived, I was well briefed on the musical history of The Church. Most of the songs they played I didn't know the titles, but I knew the grooves. And all of them were awesome.

I'm kind of amazed that The Church, after 30 years in existence, never really got big like some of the more famous bands we know. It seems like they're rock and roll's hidden secret. I couldn't care less though. They rocked last night like they were the "biggest band in the world".

I know I'm a total slacker for still not getting around to posting much about my Church excursion, and by the time I do no one will care, but there are rumblings of a Church gig in Adelaide in early December. I thought someone here just might be interested. I mean everyone needs to witness Marty in his fully bearded, "looks kinda like a homeless guy" glory in person. :)

Back
Top Bottom