The Church : New album March 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How's that grin coming along?? :wink:

More in the continuing series of strange coincidences, part XXIMMMLLLXXXI....

Haven't seen Trance around these parts lately, but I was reading a music street rag today and saw Jeff Martin of Tea Party is touring here next week and he has a new musical recording and touring partner these days. He would be Wayne Sheehy. He used to be in Cactus World News.

:lol:

Where else are former members of CWN gonna be popping up next????!!!!!!!!!!

Untitled #23

Ahh, so this is the place to be! Greetings Indra! Glad to see another Church Maven here!

The new album is magnificent beyond all of my expectations. Best since Priest=Aura IMHO.

Cohesive and hypnotic. My advice is to listen to it in it's entirety...one of the rare albums that begs for the track sequence to play out completely for full effect.

I am so glad to be a Church fan these days with all of the amazing output coming from the guys. Got my tickets for irving Plaza here in NY for July 8th! It cannot come fast enough...my third time seeing them :)

U#23 blows away NLOTH in terms of mood and songwriting (I hope that's not sacriledge here, considering where I am!) and I thought NLOTH was brilliant! Untitled #23 is simply light years better.

Any thoughts?

Ahh, so this is the place to be! Greetings Indra! Glad to see another Church Maven here!

The new album is magnificent beyond all of my expectations. Best since Priest=Aura IMHO.

Cohesive and hypnotic. My advice is to listen to it in it's entirety...one of the rare albums that begs for the track sequence to play out completely for full effect.

I am so glad to be a Church fan these days with all of the amazing output coming from the guys. Got my tickets for irving Plaza here in NY for July 8th! It cannot come fast enough...my third time seeing them :)

U#23 blows away NLOTH in terms of mood and songwriting (I hope that's not sacriledge here, considering where I am!) and I thought NLOTH was brilliant! Untitled #23 is simply light years better.

Any thoughts?

Agreed. I like NLOTH but The Church, on this album, have no horrible songs like Boots and that is why it is indeed a better album. Have you heard "So Love May Find Us" it's a 17 minute plus epic that is off the Pangaea E.P. of 2009? Brilliant!!! Besides the new album and the 2 ep's (Coffee Song E.P. and Pangaea E.P.) there's a soundtrack called "Shriek" and also a new album from Steve Kilbey (The Church) and Martin Kennedy (All India Radio) "Unseen Music Unheard Words". These guys are so fu#*in creative it's not even funny.

Any thoughts?

I think I'm Interference's resident Church freak. :shifty: :lol:

Love the new album -- I think it benefits from having all the songs sung by Steve. While I love Marty's solo and side projects, I find the Church songs he sings lead on don't fit so well, even when I like them. I'm not nearly as fond of the songs PK sings on.

I was just thinking a few days ago how spectacular in terms of quality the past couple of years (possibly even longer) have been for the Church and the individual members. The new album is wonderful and is getting almost universally good reviews, the two eps are very worthwhile, Shriek is pretty cool, Steve's Painkiller is excellent, Marty's Nightjar is too (and both have gotten good reviews too), the Kilbey/Kennedy project is just coming out (haven't heard it all yet -- it just arrived yesterday -- but what I have heard is lovely), Steve got rave reviews for his guest vocals at the Triffids concerts, and even his recent exhibition of paintings got a decent review. They are doing loads of things, and doing them all well. It's really very exciting, and I have to admit I'm very proud of "my" guys. :yes:

I'm doing a Church excursion this year. Taking a week and going on a solo roadtrip to take in every show from Pittsburgh to Londonderry, NH. It isn't going to be cheap, but it's so much fun. In 2006 a friend and I were travelling from Cleveland (where we had seen them the night before) to Chicago (where we would see them that night) and we kept running into them at rest stops along the way. I ended up in the same hotel they did in Chicago too. :lol:

Make sure you check out the merch table at the show. They should be bringing plenty of stuff! The prices are good and you don't have to pay shipping. :)

I think I'm Interference's resident Church freak. :shifty: :lol:

Love the new album -- I think it benefits from having all the songs sung by Steve. While I love Marty's solo and side projects, I find the Church songs he sings lead on don't fit so well, even when I like them. I'm not nearly as fond of the songs PK sings on.

I was just thinking a few days ago how spectacular in terms of quality the past couple of years (possibly even longer) have been for the Church and the individual members. The new album is wonderful and is getting almost universally good reviews, the two eps are very worthwhile, Shriek is pretty cool, Steve's Painkiller is excellent, Marty's Nightjar is too (and both have gotten good reviews too), the Kilbey/Kennedy project is just coming out (haven't heard it all yet -- it just arrived yesterday -- but what I have heard is lovely), Steve got rave reviews for his guest vocals at the Triffids concerts, and even his recent exhibition of paintings got a decent review. They are doing loads of things, and doing them all well. It's really very exciting, and I have to admit I'm very proud of "my" guys. :yes:

I'm doing a Church excursion this year. Taking a week and going on a solo roadtrip to take in every show from Pittsburgh to Londonderry, NH. It isn't going to be cheap, but it's so much fun. In 2006 a friend and I were travelling from Cleveland (where we had seen them the night before) to Chicago (where we would see them that night) and we kept running into them at rest stops along the way. I ended up in the same hotel they did in Chicago too. :lol:

Make sure you check out the merch table at the show. They should be bringing plenty of stuff! The prices are good and you don't have to pay shipping. :)

Indra,
Could you possibly do me a favour???
Unfortunately I am unable to go and see The Church live this tour - if I was allowed across the U.S. border rest assured I'd be in Minniapolis in June. How would you like to be a roving reporter for a late night radio show? I've been doing a late night radio show here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada since 1998 and hardly a show goes by where I don't throw on some Church. If there is ever a show on a Thursday night that you are attending I would love it if you could call the show and give a review - actually, I guess it doesn't even have to be the exact same night - just while your on your Church Road Trip 09. You can email me at harry_vest@yahoo.com and we could arrange something, that is if your into it. Thanks.

Indra,
Could you possibly do me a favour???
Unfortunately I am unable to go and see The Church live this tour - if I was allowed across the U.S. border rest assured I'd be in Minniapolis in June. How would you like to be a roving reporter for a late night radio show? I've been doing a late night radio show here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada since 1998 and hardly a show goes by where I don't throw on some Church. If there is ever a show on a Thursday night that you are attending I would love it if you could call the show and give a review - actually, I guess it doesn't even have to be the exact same night - just while your on your Church Road Trip 09. You can email me at harry_vest@yahoo.com and we could arrange something, that is if your into it. Thanks.

?

^

I'm sure we can work something out. I'll drop you an email in a day or so -- I'm moving house and making prints and such for the merch table on the tour so I'm crazy busy right now (as opposed to my normal just plain crazy ;) ) -- to figure out the details.

This could be cool. :)

Indra,

I always hit the merch tables when they play in New York :) Great way to find those rare solo albums and such.

I like MWP's vox and PK hits a good note every once in a while but yeah, Steve's vocals are why we listen...he is unmatched in that area and is in excellent form on U23 and Painkiller. Very passionate vocals and the songs they are coming out with these days deserve all the attention they get.

I met MWP and TP at the Bowery Ballroom show back on the Forget Yourself tour and they were the nicest most down to earth people I could imagine. Saw PK and SK entering the club that night and waved...they looked at me like they were about to be mugged! LOL I am 6'4" and must have terrified them ;)

So I am also casting my lot in as a fellow resident Chruch freak here if you don't mind some company. The more the merrier hopefully!

Huge U2 fan here as well, but U23 is leaps beyond NLOTH and I thought that was an excellent effort from Bono and the guys this year.

Question though...how do you feel about Steve's constant crapfest all over U2? It is sour grapes? Jealousy over their success? Sk has NOTHING to be jealous of since he is a a consumate musician rather than a showman like Bono. I love them both and just get bummed when SK bristles every time he is compared to U2 or Bono.

:)

Harry,

Got the Pangaea EP as well..great stuff! I love it when the guys are this prolific and the best part is we get quality from them these days too! PK's and MWP's tunes are both great and It's a great thing that they chose an EP to get those songs out since I don't think they fit the mood of the album.

Love that you play some Church tracks on your show! great stuff indeed!

Nice review of Untitled #23 from Inpress magazine from Melbourne.

"The Church exists in another universe, I think we can all agree. Concepts of time and money and charts ceased to apply so long ago that the mere mention of commercial success seems dirty somehow. The current music composed and recorded by the band is as seamless and beguiling as you'd expect; the songs mesh and blend and for the most sound utterly enchanting. Steve Kilbey's bass throbs like a gentle pulse, his vocals are forever organic and warm, the twin guitar approach from Marty Willson-Piper and Peter Koppes merge layer upon layer of interweaving chord progressions and seductive lead breaks, and drummer/producer Tim Powles adds considered percussive and tempo touches. It is so intoxicating and straight away satisfying that the listener is struck by its apparent ease. Of course, the reality is very different; Untitled #23 has been laboured over for eons and these four men are still ambitious enough to tour internationally and release new music as often as is humanly possible. Two EPs also accompany this longplayer, well worth the investment by the way - all going to show there is still so much spirit and creative hunger in The Church for plenty more material like this to emerge.

And that is something we should treasure, for this is gold. Cobalt Blue opens in that classic familiar yet mysterious Church vein, all otherworldy themes and bewitching backing before the threatening, urging Deadman's Hand establishes a glorious repeating guitar motif in the style of Chromium from 2002's After Everything Now This. Two other tracks played during the recent national tour then follow Pangaea and Happenstance. Again the structure and instrumentation is delightful and instantly alluring and one is tempted not to progress any further. Spacey beats mix with jazzy runs, ghostly harmonies float around, cellos and harps compliment acoustic and electric guitar patterns and through it all Kilbey's signature vocals underpin the whole gorgeous thing. Other highlights abound on the rest of the album, tucked away in strange corners and behind half-closed doors. They don't need to be teased out; you just have to close your eyes and let the offerings wash over you"- EJ CARTLEDGE

Indra,

I always hit the merch tables when they play in New York :) Great way to find those rare solo albums and such.

I like MWP's vox and PK hits a good note every once in a while but yeah, Steve's vocals are why we listen...he is unmatched in that area and is in excellent form on U23 and Painkiller. Very passionate vocals and the songs they are coming out with these days deserve all the attention they get.

I met MWP and TP at the Bowery Ballroom show back on the Forget Yourself tour and they were the nicest most down to earth people I could imagine. Saw PK and SK entering the club that night and waved...they looked at me like they were about to be mugged! LOL I am 6'4" and must have terrified them ;)

So I am also casting my lot in as a fellow resident Chruch freak here if you don't mind some company. The more the merrier hopefully!

Huge U2 fan here as well, but U23 is leaps beyond NLOTH and I thought that was an excellent effort from Bono and the guys this year.

Question though...how do you feel about Steve's constant crapfest all over U2? It is sour grapes? Jealousy over their success? Sk has NOTHING to be jealous of since he is a a consumate musician rather than a showman like Bono. I love them both and just get bummed when SK bristles every time he is compared to U2 or Bono.

:)

There is a huge list of merch table offerings this time. Here's a partial listing:

the church untitled #23 CD
the church untitled #23 2xLP
marty willson-piper nightjar CD
steve kilbey painkiller CD
the church coffee hounds ep
the church pangaea ep
the church tour poster
the church séance blue shirt
the church séance pink shirt
the church priest=aura shirt
the church hindsight shirt
the church starfish shirt
the church tour shirt 2009
unorthodox label shirt
steve kilbey biography book
marty willson-piper nightjar shirt
marty willson-piper hanging out heaven CD
marty willson-piper live from other side CD
marty willson-piper spirit level CD
marty willson-piper rhyme CD
marty willson-piper pegasus ep
noctorum sparks lane CD
noctorum offer the light CD
tiare helberg EP
marty willson-piper pegasus cards
marty willson-piper nightjar cards
marty willson-piper photo cards
Nightjar Print
Etruscan Guitar Print
Priest Bag
Coffee Hounds Bag
Shriek Soundtrack CD
Back With Two Beasts CD
Blurred Crusade CD
After Everything CD
Uninvited Like Clouds CD
Forget Yourself CD
A Box Of Birds CD
Tin Mine CD
El Momento Descuidado CD
El Momento Siguiente CD
Peter Koppes Misty Heights and Cloudy Memories CD
Refo:Mation-Phamakoi- "Distance Crunching Honchos With Echo Units

There will also be a nice selection of prints and cards of Steve's art and a cd and mini prints (5"x7") set of Steve's just completed multi media art exhibit in Pittsburgh. I produce the prints and cards (Marty's too) and am responsible for the manufacture of the cd/mini prints set, so be nice! ;) Actually, I'm still frantically working on everything! :yikes:

Of course merch sales is where they make most of their money when they tour, so they are bringing everything they can think of along. Bring lots of cash! (I want them to tour here again :yes: ) ;)

They are really nice! I can just picture the looks on SK's and PK's faces -- probably having flashbacks to their time on the Australian pub circut. From what I understand they had some pretty hairy shows (speaking of hairy -- have you seen Marty lately? :lol: ) I wouldn't want to catch any of them in a bad mood, but I have to say they are more patient than I would be in many situations. I do think Peter and Steve are generally less comfortable meeting people than Tim and Marty.

The U2 thing -- the short answer is Steve is just being cranky old bastard Steve. :)

The longer answer -- yeah I do believe there is jealousy/bitterness there. Think about it from Steve's view -- is U2 really a better band than the Church? No, they aren't. But U2 is stinking rich and hugely popular and the Church isn't. Bono can go and do and buy just about anything he wants any time he wants, while Steve is trying to figure out how to pay for dental work he needs. The Church are spectacularly bad businessmen, and instead of having a Paul McGuinness type managing them they had a series of not only bad, but crooked managers.

And to be honest I don't think the Church were ever cut out to have commercial success on a U2-type scale. U2 has always been willing, even eager, to do things and events -- even really hokey shit -- to get publicity. The Church have a deep seated distrust of the establishment and anything they see as sucking up to "the man" is just repulsive to them. I mean the Australian recording industry association has it's own hall of fame which has been trying to induct the Church for at least a couple of years now. But the organisation wants the inductees there for the ceremony. The Church has (so far at least) declined, and Steve has ranted that "why should we go suck up to a bunch of greedy bastards (record industry execs) that have no clue what is good music?" Uh, because it would get you some good publicity, Steve? Sigh. Oh, and get this -- when The Triffids were inducted into that same HOF guess who subbed for their lead singer (who died in 1999)? Yep, none other than Steve Kilbey. And who played bass in Russell Morris' band when he was also inducted during that same ceremony? Uh-huh, none other than Steven John Kilbey. :gah: I swear they are going to drive me crazy.

Is any of this U2's fault? Nope. But I think to Steve, U2 represents the much hated music industry. U2 has always been willing to play the game, and therefore has been embraced by the industry. The Church would only play the game sporadically and not particularly well even then, and so was rejected by the industry. Steve is an idealist -- you shouldn't have to play games or suck up to be successful if you make good music.

Ok, did that make any sense? :lol: Probably not, but it's now really late, so I'm going to quit anyway. :)

Thanks for that great post Indra, definitely put things into perspective regarding cranky ol' Steve ;) I too want them to continue touring here in the U.S. for they are too unique and special to be opening for other bands on mini Aussie tours.

Now that you mention it I seem to recall some bad business decisions and corrupt management screwing them over in the past...tons of CDs and merchandise gone missing, etc. Such a shame they never had a McGuinness type to look after them...he always reminds me of Ian from Spinal Tap, always wielding a bat to settle "disputes" ;)

I believe I read recently that MWP has been handing management for them himself as of late. I hope it doesn't become too much of a grind for him.

Anyway, the new album is fantastic and I want to see it earn them some healthy sales as much the universal acclaim it is now getting! A little recognition would do wonders for cranky ol' Steve I am sure :)

Haven't seen Trance around these parts lately, but I was reading a music street rag today and saw Jeff Martin of Tea Party is touring here next week and he has a new musical recording and touring partner these days. He would be Wayne Sheehy.

:wave: how funny, I haven't been here in sooooooooooo long, I almost forgot what my password was :wink:

Yes!! I've met Wayne a couple times last year and he's a lovely bloke .... but I'm not really interested in jeff martin anymore because he's a tool :angry:

anyway, I really do wish I could win the lotto.... how amazing would it be to catch some of these Churchy shows in the States :D :D Hope the tour is a huge success for the guys, god love 'em :heart: :heart:

hope you're good! :wave:

:cute:

memarty.jpg

The Church played on Morning Becomes Eclectic on KCRW today. Right now there is an audio podcast of the show up here, but I think there might also be video of it by tomorrow (I watched it live, so I know there should be video).

They played Day 5; Block; Pangaea; You Took; and NSEW. :)

They are also supposed to have a couple of other online streams -- both from Seattle:

June 15th
KEXP VIP CLUB In Studio
5pm PST
Click here

AND
The Triple Door show from www.synclive.com
Showtime 7.30pm PST

I'm pretty sure you have to have register (and I think be within the US, but I'm not sure on this part) to listen/see synclive one.

Here's a link to video of Pangaea from the KCRW appearance today. :)

Marty certainly does seem to be going for the homeless guy look here. :lol:

Has the man forgotten what a mirror is???? :huh: There's a gorgeous man, in there, somewhere :sigh:

I can just imagine the shock of some poor fans who haven't seen himsince the last time the band toured here. :yikes: He was always the one I figured would never grow a beard. Oh well, just shows what I know! :lol:

And the video of the whole KCRW performance is up to stream. Click here.

^

He certainly looks mighty fetching there -- beard and all! :yes:

But on the KCRW video he was looking mighty disheveled and at times a bit manic, and I couldn't help thinking some people had to be wondering why they ditched MWP and got this poor homeless dude. :lol: Of course when he starts to play (or speak) you know right off it's Marty.

^

He certainly looks mighty fetching there -- beard and all! :yes:

But on the KCRW video he was looking mighty disheveled and at times a bit manic, and I couldn't help thinking some people had to be wondering why they ditched MWP and got this poor homeless dude. :lol: Of course when he starts to play (or speak) you know right off it's Marty.

I haven't been able to watch that yet :sad: ... I might see if I can now!

Crap...I've been reading reviews for Chicago and although I could either make Chicago and only Chicago or six other shows, I can't help but pout a bit because apparently Chicago was GREAT!! :grumpy:

Then again, I will almost certainly have better stories from following them around for a week. :D ;)

Just under 36 hours until I pick up my rental car for my Church Excursion.

I volunteered to help out at the merch table. Apparently there is something like 84 different items for sale this time around. When I mentioned that to SK he replied "and you can push the prints!" :lol:

I'm planning on actually taking a few pics this time too...eekie's becoming brave!

Actually, indra/eekie is beginning to stress out about the whole thing. At least the total wig-out will only last a couple of days instead of a month or so as it did the last time around, so that's good. I've been too damned busy this year to freak out! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom