The Black Keys Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you've only heard El Camino on headphones, please find some way to play it on your stereo or in your car. This shit sounds amazing cranked. It's a solid album in any context because the songs are sturdy and fun, I'm on headphones now and am enjoying it like always, but you really pick up on the speed of the record when it's played loud.

This album will be a very significant addition to their live repertoire.

So this album will be in my top 3 of the year. It's so much better than I thought it would be after hearing Lonely Boy, which I found to be a little lacking as a single. In the album context, though, it's great. Dead and Gone, Little Black Submarines, Sister, and Stop Stop are the peaks in my opinion.

Maybe I need to listen to to it more, but I found myself wondering what those men have done with The Black Keys. Especially after listening to parts of thickfreakness this morning. I like El Camino very much, but when did they start making pop records?

I've only gone back as far as Rubber Factory, but the only significant difference I can perceive is the production. It's bright and slick, and I suppose that gives the album a strong impression of mainstream accessibility.

I do believe you're taking for granted how much this rocks though.

I really liked Brothers. It was my top album of 2010. After about a dozen listens, I think I like this one more. However, I must say I don't think there's a single song as good as Too Afraid To Love You on this album. That's easily my favorite Black Keys song.

I've only gone back as far as Rubber Factory, but the only significant difference I can perceive is the production. It's bright and slick, and I suppose that gives the album a strong impression of mainstream accessibility.
That's most of it.

I do believe you're taking for granted how much this rocks though.
I think I am too.

I heard the single on the radio. It was alright. For whatever reason I was a little disappointed I knew what it was 10 seconds into the song, but that could also just mean it rocks more and sounds more interesting than pretty much everything else on the radio rather than all their stuff sounding the same to me.

They announced more tour dates today again skipping the SoCal dates. :angry: At least we will know VERY soon about whether they are playing Coachella or not as that annoucement is imminent. If they are headlining no LA dates. If not, then I don't know why they've been torturing us LA folk.

4/25/12 - Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center
4/27/12 - St. Louis, MO - Chaifetz Arena
4/28/12 - Tulsa, OK - BOK Center
4/30/12 - Denver, CO - 1stbank Center **
5/02/12 - Salt Lake City, - UT Maverick Center
5/04/12 - Oakland, CA - Oracle
5/05/12 - Sacramento, CA - Power Balance Pavillion
5/07/12 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden
5/08/12 - Seattle, WA - Key Arena (on sale and presale date TBD)
5/09/12 - Vancouver, BC - Rogers Arena
5/11/12 - Calgary, AB - Saddledome
5/12/12 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall
5/14/12 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
5/15/12 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center
5/16/12 - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center

They're coming back to SoCal this fall, but playing ARENAS fer chrissake. I hope I don't see a Kings of Leon thing happening here. You know, early albums are raw and good, then they "mature" meaning they get boring for more radio play then get REALLY big.

The first half of El Camino is pretty good, but the rest of it, not as much.

The contrast between El Camino and Brothers is nowhere near as sharp as Only By The Night and Because Of The Times.

When the Black Keys start using reverb, I'll panic.

martha said:
They're coming back to SoCal this fall, but playing ARENAS fer chrissake. I hope I don't see a Kings of Leon thing happening here. You know, early albums are raw and good, then they "mature" meaning they get boring for more radio play then get REALLY big.

The first half of El Camino is pretty good, but the rest of it, not as much.

They are playing Staples on my birthday. So excited!

I'm confused, isn't the entire tour this year arenas?

Slow night so long she's frenchin' out the flavor
She's seventeen...but I done went and plum forgot it!

Back
Top Bottom