The Black Keys Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone catch them on CBS Sunday morning this morning. There was about a ten minute segment with them. Very cool.

I caught it. They seem like two very cool, down-to-earth guys.

Oh. :| Well, I feel stupid for forgetting about that.

:hug:

It's that I don't like the trend towards radio-friendly hits rather than musical evolution. If it starts to sound calculated, or smoothed over, than that bothers me.

I don't listen to the radio, but a radio-friendly song, in my opinion, is not inherently bad. And I don't think The Black Keys have veered into bad territory yet.

the thing that bothers me most about the whole idea of "radio friendly = bad" is that a lot of people will like something until it becomes mainstream and then hate it.

there were many on this very board that loved Only By The Night until Use Somebody became a massive hit, and then it all of a sudden became commercial dog shit.

Eh, coming from someone who has been listening to them since Aha Shake Heartbreak, Only By The Night was always a bland, boring album that betrayed everything good about that that was good about Kings of Leon in the first place. The crap lyrics, terrible, reverb-drenched production (U2/Snow Patrol/Keane they are not, nor should they be) and bland music were there before Use Somebody blew up. Sadly, the followup was just like it. I hope they did break up.

El Camino is just a faster, slightly poppier version of what the Black Keys have been doing for years and years. Hardly a sellout move in and of itself, and I find the comparison ridiculous.

I think the Black Keys have their heads on their shoulders, and have a hard time picturing them really selling out. I honestly can't really see their sound ever being more accessible than it already is for the most part. Who knows though, weirder things have happened.

Thickfreakness = very, very good.

If I have any complaint about El Camino, it's the muted quality of the guitars throughout. The early records have them right up front, and the tone has real bite.

I just realized that I'm seeing them next week. Time flies when you're not paying attention.

The Milwaukee show doesn't seem to be selling particularly well, given the availability of good seats and people selling below face on Stub Hub. I think I might try to get a steal on this show and go at the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom