The...best...years...in..uh...music? I guess. This list is awful:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kept thinking, "This is horrible, I should turn it off", but they kept using more hilarious examples.

Really? I think they got many of the years right. Maybe some of their examples at a bit off but 79..84..87..88..69..91.. Id rank those years pretty highly myself. Very happy to see 87 get the love

Sent from my ass crack

The only thing about 87 that kind of sort of was inaccurate was that while GNR's Appetite came out in 87 it didn't become popular until a year after its release.

Really? I think they got many of the years right. Maybe some of their examples at a bit off but 79..84..87..88..69..91.. Id rank those years pretty highly myself. Very happy to see 87 get the love

Sent from my ass crack

I think more than half the songs in that video are terrible.

This.

It's really the examples they used, more than anything, that made this a strange one.

Plus, Watch Mojo has this bad habit of not wanting to have two really obvious things back to back, sometimes, so they lump them together as one entity, instead, so I thought it was quite a cop-out for them not to have '67 on the list, where it belonged.

It's an interesting conversation, though. I've long said that 1984 is my favorite year of music, so it was nice to see the inclusion.

Yeah they're neither. That song is so fucking terrible compared to Photograph, Hysteria, Animal, etc.

I laughed so hard when that Shania Twain song came on. Like seriously, one of Shania Twain's least memorable singles is a legitimate reason why 1999 is a great year for music?

Last edited:
Yeah they're neither. That song is so fucking terrible compared to Photograph, Hysteria, Animal, etc.

I laughed so hard when that Shania Twain song came on. Like seriously, one of Shania Twain's least memorable singles is a legitimate reason why 1999 is a great year for music?

Those were two examples of terrible picks, agreed. Them leaving Hysteria out of the 87 parade (they did, right?) is ridiculous...but oh what a year 87 was.

Of course, they're not going to list Substance, Music For the Masses, Strangeways, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me and many others, but I sure will lol

Sent from my ass crack

I agree, Gabe, that the 80s had a ton of great music btw. My Desert Island entry this time was 95% 80s because I felt like giving an underappreciated decade some shine.

As far as classic albums and significant musical movements go, I personally think it drags behind the 60s and 70s by a little bit, but there's no reason to bash the whole decade when so much of it was great.

Check out 1971 and the excellent albums from that year!

Led Zeppelin IV
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Who's Next
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Joni Mitchell - Blue
The Doors - LA Women
Pink Floyd - Meddle
John Lennon - Imagine
The Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Filmore East
Carole King - Tapestry
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Going On
Black Sabbath - Masters Of Reality
Paul and Linda McCartney - Ram
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
Alice Cooper - Killer
Deep Purple - Fireball
Don McLean - American Pie
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
The Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink...To A Blind Horse
Isaac Hayes - Shaft Soundtrack (Can You Dig It?)
BB King - Live In Cook County Jail
George Harrison - The Concert For Bangladesh
Jimi Hendrix - The Cry Of Love
Aretha Franklin - Live At Fillmore West
Fleetwood Mac - Future Games
ZZ Top's First Album
Mott The Hoople - Brain Capers
Rodriguez - Coming From Reality
Carpenters - Carpenters

Solid Year!!!!

Mum used to play Come on Over a lot. Just looked it up on wikipedia and 12 of its 16 songs were released as singles. Surely that's some sort of record?!

Listened to that full album for the first time this summer. It's really good. And the influence on early Taylor is absolutely undeniable.

It's definitely a bit shallow, but in many ways it's also very smart. Top of the line manufactured pop. Some of her vocal tics and vocal improvisations are pretty damn endearing and the hooks are huge.

Pretty weird, for how hugely successful she was, that she hasn't put out an album in 12 years. Don't know that much about her, I wonder what the deal is with that. She just wanted to chill maybe? I'm sure she made enough off those two huge albums to support her and her family forever.

Let's talk about Shania Twain in this thread. Let's make this the Shania thread.

I'm down with that. And kudos for not making a joke about the sentence "Mum used to play Come on Over a lot".

Yeah that's a bit odd. She's still touring though, it seems. Maybe she's just run out of creative juice.

Man, I Feel Like a Woman is, as you say, just brilliantly crafted manufactured pop.

"From This Moment On" is sooooooooooooooo fucking unbelievably schmaltzy, I'm sure painfully so for many, but there are like multiple just drop-dead MASSIVE hooks in that song.

Back
Top Bottom