The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a huge fan of this band in my early teens. My cousin got me into them. They're christian rock. I don't listen to them much anymore, as snobby as this I think my tastes have developed a bit in recent years and I find them a little plain now, but every now and then a song of theirs pops in my head. They'll always make me smile.

Paul Coleman Trio-Turn w/lyrics - YouTube

Paul Colman Trio - One - YouTube

This live clip has a wicked didgeridoo solo:

PC3 Live - Dip (featuring Adrian Ross on didgeridoo) - YouTube

I started a thread for them once. I think timothius was the only one to reply. I wonder what he's doing now.

I really don't know when exactly PopMatters became more self-congratulatory than Pitchfork - which is really a tall order in itself - but it certainly happened sometime over the last six months. The tone of everything they write is becoming increasingly judgmental by the week.

VICTORIA LEGRAND IS A GODDAMN SAINT.

th

:) Thanks. It's been a pretty great year for music. I would have dropped the ball hard if my list had sucked (cue IWB).

Yes, nice list. We have the same two favourite tracks from the Tallest Bloke album. Huge props for putting BBNG2 in there, and up so high too. Will be on my list.

Spinning Fin on Spotify. I like it.

I'm looking forward to reading that list on the train tomorrow, LM. Also, regarding Shearwater, didn't something similar happen with The Golden Archipelago? It was released early in the year to widespread acclaim, then everyone promptly forgot about it?

Interesting that Pitchfork's songs list includes Call Me Maybe. Would that have made it five years ago? Seems a bit odd for a website that is supposed to be the beacon for hipsters. Maybe it's post-ironic.

I think it's pretty damn catchy myself.

Checked out that Hey Jane song, that's a beauty. The Usher track as well.

There's a lot of fucking garbage on that list though, almost all of it hip-hop. If Beez in the Trap was the 18th best song of 2012 maybe the Mayans were right.

cobl04 said:
Interesting that Pitchfork's songs list includes Call Me Maybe. Would that have made it five years ago? Seems a bit odd for a website that is supposed to be the beacon for hipsters. Maybe it's post-ironic.

I think the odds of Call Me Maybe making the list were 1:1.

Don't you remember their best songs of the 2000s list? Crazy In Love, My Love and Ignition (Remix) were all way up there.

Re: the shitty hip-hop on P4k's list, I can't decide if Bandz A Make Her Dance or Beez in the Trap is worse. I'm going with the latter because Lil Wayne's verse in Bands is one of the funniest/most awful things I've ever heard and when I hear that song for the 4th time on our local rap station every day, I usually wait for that part before I turn it.

Waaz ya rreeaaalll naayyymee
Aannnd not ya strippah naaayymeee

I could write a whole post about all the shitty hip-hop I've heard on the radio this year between Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, Miguel and random Cruel Summer tracks, but I'll save you guys the trouble. Suffice it to say that "She got a big booty/So I call her Big Booty" is an actual line in a song now.

Don't you remember their best songs of the 2000s list? Crazy In Love, My Love and Ignition (Remix) were all way up there.

Along with Since U Been Gone (in the top 20, if I remember correctly) and Umbrella and Toxic. Songs by Annie and Kylie Minogue. And they put fucking (You Can't Mistake My) Biology on there, too. The beautiful bastards. Maybe their finest moment.

Shit, something like Hey Ya is as much of a goofy, sugary confection as some of those we've listed and it's revered. And rightfully so. Song kicks ass.

Along with Since U Been Gone (in the top 20, if I remember correctly) and Umbrella and Toxic. Songs by Annie and Kylie Minogue. And they put fucking (You Can't Mistake My) Biology on there, too. The beautiful bastards. Maybe their finest moment.

Shit, something like Hey Ya is as much of a goofy, sugary confection as some of those others and it's revered. And rightfully so. Song kicks ass.

i thought goofy, sugary-ness was why hey ya was revered in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom