The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magic is easily my favorite Springsteen album of the last 25 years. That thing has some brilliant songs on it. Devil's Arcade and Long Walk Home are especially moving.

Just for funsies!

Born in the USA
Born to Run
Tunnel of Love
The Rising
Magic / Darkness (depends)

I've never heard a full Bruce Springsteen album. Don't have any plans to, either.

I still stand by the opinion that even a non-fan would like at least one album if they bothered to give the right one a try,

I listened to Born to Run a few times. I enjoyed it but it didn't impress me enough to delve deeper into his discography.

Born to Run was the soundtrack to my life for about 3 months. I burned out on it, but it's still one of the best records ever made. It's the very sound of freedom, excitement and possibility. Amazing record, a pure adrenaline rush.

E Street Shuffle is probably my second favorite. Wonderful storytelling. Beautiful and cinematic. Everything after Wild Billy puts a lump in my throat.

Nebraska and Greetings are probably next, then The Rising and Tunnel of Love in the next tier. I like other Bruce albums, but those 6 I love.

The last three tracks are incredible, worth the price of admission. But the whole record is my pet Bruce album, I feel like I'm always the one going to bat for it. I find it so charming, and I love his Dylan and Van influences.

I see Miguel's album made it into the top 20 of Stereogum's list too. So good, the production is incredible. If you liked Channel Orange, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not listening to Miguel.

How about Rolling Stone's list?

Rolling Stone’s 50 Best Albums Of 2012 - Stereogum

If John Mayer really made a better album this year than Beach House, I might as well just stop listening to music now.

Green Day in the top 10 is the worst.

Now that I've had a chance to look at this list, besides a few headscrachers already pointed out, it's about the same as every other list we've seen so far this year. Kendrick Lamar or Frank Ocean look like a lock for #1 on Metacritic's list at this point.

Sorry, didn't see anything past that top ten clash songs. Spanish Bombs #1? Really? And the token Sandinista track 99% of the people reading the list probably have never heard was an amusing touch.

Drowned in Sounds full list is out. Fun read, they always end up with my favorite list, probably just based on write-ups alone.

Good to see Liars getting some love on that list. WIXIW will probably be in my top ten.

DiS' list is my favorite. Sucks that Fiona just missed their top 5 circle jerk, but #6 is still good.

Clearly not much of a hip hop site though. They bunched all of it together and sequestered it in the teens.

I thought their explanation for why they didn't do a #1 was a little pretentiously written, but I feel the sentiment, and I enjoy the poll option.

I've never heard a note of Jens Lekman's music, but I Cobblered it and listened to his new one. It's great! Really smooth and relaxing, yet witty and always melodic. Like a meeting of Belle and Sebastian and Destroyer (specifically Kaputt).

Finally listened to John Talabot's Fin. There's another damn fine electronica album from this year to join Burial, Four Tet, the Tim Hecker and Daniel Lopatin collaboration, Flying Lotus, and Actress.

Yeah, definitely listen to Menomena guys.

Listening to the Frank Ocean record for the first time right now. Just got it in the mail last night. It might sneak its way into my year end top 10. It's got some really strong songs.

I see Miguel's album made it into the top 20 of Stereogum's list too. So good, the production is incredible. If you liked Channel Orange, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not listening to Miguel.

Goddamn it you guys. I was just going to listen to Big Boi's new one and that was going to be it. :sigh:

The amazing thing would be actually releasing an album.

Truth. I'll be very surprised if we get one.

Flatfoot 56's album is a solid an effort as I've come to expect from those guys. Can't wait to see them live again with the street dogs. Considering going to see then in Connecticut the night before as well.

Back
Top Bottom