The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I made it through once but I didn't enjoy it. I tried a second time but didn't make it.

Listening to Let England Shake, my firm favourite from 2011. Anyone remember what beat it to #1 round here?

Nothing I've heard this year comes close for me.

Listening to Let England Shake, my firm favourite from 2011. Anyone remember what beat it to #1 round here?

Nothing I've heard this year comes close for me.

It was #1 for me too. Kaputt won last year, which was my second favorite, so I was pretty alright with that.

Streethawk is my number four. I like it more than Your Blues, the fifth on my list.

It's real hard for me to not equate her to late '90's radio / MTV rock. I know that her albums are all supposedly great, but I hated those singles back then.

Ya I have no idea what I think of that Paul Weller album. I think some of the things I like about are the same reasons I disliked the animal collective album, yet aside from that single thought popping into my head, I have no idea what I mean by it. Something like the lead track, "green," I don't know how to have an opinion on that one. It's either really irritating or pretty cool, depending on whether I think the shifting channels around in my headphones is gimmicky or interesting, and whether I can look past the intro reminding me of fat boy slim. It has everything, really: stuff I like, stuff I dislike, and stuff one entirely apathetic towards. Probably the only album this year I could put in all three of those columns.

I do generally enjoy solo Weller, however I always find myself turning off his albums midway through to listen to The Jam instead.

It's real hard for me to not equate her to late '90's radio / MTV rock. I know that her albums are all supposedly great, but I hated those singles back then.

This is my problem as well. I have always associated her with kind of slight radio singles, and now I'm being told apparently she's a very serious artist, and I've heard that horribly long album title that I will never use album from 2012 twice now. I just don't quite get the appeal. It's nice, but no where near my favorites of the year.

Yep. I'd say it was shit even if she didn't make the Top 10. But not in a Top 50?? Get the fuck outta here.

Just heard from NME that her new album, scheduled for late 2015, will be entitled: "I Don't Really Care Much For Your Lists, but Seriously? You're not going to Put My 2012 album in the Top 50? That's a shit list and I'm really fucking tired of typing Capitals all the Time. Or is it Capitols? I always confuse those two. Get the fuck outta here. And I'm still sad about my dog, guys."

"Upon receiving nagging criticism about the entirely insignificant topic of lengthy album titles for the second time in her career, Fiona Apple chose to return to the pithy Tidal and Extraordinary Machine days for her fifth full length album, GFY Beav."

Passion Pit, Grizzly Bear, Beach House, Fiona, Cat Power are probably my most-played records this year. But it's been a crazy year for me and I had less time to listen to new music than usual. I'm sure I've missed a ton of great stuff.

I'm surprised how much the Fiona Apple grew on me. I thought it was brilliant the first time I heard it (with the lead single being a bit annoying sometimes) but I just didn't know how much I'd feel like listening to it. Then I listened to it on a long road trip over and over and it really clicked. The problem with it is I get "Werewolf" stuck in my head on some kind of weird OCD loop. :huh:

Finally listened to John Talabot's Fin. There's another damn fine electronica album from this year to join Burial, Four Tet, the Tim Hecker and Daniel Lopatin collaboration, Flying Lotus, and Actress.

I've never heard a note of Jens Lekman's music, but I Cobblered it and listened to his new one. It's great! Really smooth and relaxing, yet witty and always melodic. Like a meeting of Belle and Sebastian and Destroyer (specifically Kaputt).

Back
Top Bottom