The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does seen weird to say "it's like Murder She Wrote/once I get you outta dem clothes", cuz that makes me think the girl he's about to jam with looks like Angela Lansbury.

:shudder:

Angela+Lansbury+brGUVsV5O8um.jpg

GOT EVERY MAN IN HERE WlSHlN'.

My mom used to watch that show regularly. Late '80s, early '90s. I've probably seen something like twenty or thirty episodes of Murder She Wrote. My life has been a waste.

Community needs to come back.

There is a Murder She Wrote boardgame, and I have played it. The idea is that one person is a murderer and the other players have to catch them before they kill everyone on a holiday island and escape via jetski. Recommended!

K. Lamar gets P4K's top prize. Thought it would be Frank Ocean, but there you go.

Nice placing for Fiona, and good to see Swing Lo Magellan crack the top 15.

They should rename their album cover lists, absolute worst covers and the worst cover honorable mention list. How can you tell me the cover of good kid maad city isn't on there just because they have a ridiculous love affair with that thing?

Because it represents the album damn well. The album cover of Good Kid is of a young, impressionable Kendrick (looking very uncomfortable) surrounded by his family and their friends, who are depicted almost entirely as crooks and sociopaths in the album. His uncle, who's holding him in the pic, was murdered when Kendrick was in his early teens, if the narrative is to be believed. The plot of the record is about how Kendrick deals with the violence and crime around him and how he gets sucked into it and turns into a real shithead, only to find his way out basically by luck, so that picture is a great summation of it.

Hell, it's not just some instagrammed picture of a cat or a pair of shoes or something, so that's good.

Just got back from seeing him tonight. It was fucking awesome to see a hungry young rapper do his thing... I've seen a lot of older rappers go through the motions. Backseat Freestyle was absolutely fucking ridiculous, the clear highlight, but what's amazing is even here in Australia the crowd knew just about every word to nearly every song, Section.80 or good kid m.A.A.d city. Swimming Pools, Money Trees, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe and Backseat Freestyle all got massive responses. And he was genuinely loving it too, almost like he was in awe of how much love he was getting from a crowd on the other side of the world just two or so months after releasing his first album proper. Before he left for the night he said "no matter how big this shit gets I'm always gonna come back here".

The only problem I had with it is the same problem I've had with pretty much every hip-hop gig I've ever seen sans Kanye and Jay-Z, and that was the music just does not translate as well live. The bass is obviously heavy as fuck but you couldn't hear the music itself in Money Trees, nor could you hear the horns in Rigamortis.

A small complaint though. The dude is going places and going there fucking quickly. Easily the best of the young upcoming rappers for mine. Fucking stoked it was Pitchfork's number one, it's an incredible album.

Guess I'm going to have to listen to that damn album. Couldn't get past how atrocious his performance on Conan was, never gave it a shot aside from one or two songs.

Finally managed to listen to some of the things I had ignored this year. Here's my list:

1. Beach House - Bloom
2. Tame Impala - Lonerism
3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
4. David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant
5. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
6. Andrew Bird – Break It Yourself
7. Chromatics - Kill For Love
8. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
9. Purity Ring - Shrines
10. Grizzly Bear - Shields
11. Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
12. Cat Power - Sun
13. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
14. Calexico - Algiers
15. Father John Misty - Fear Fun
16. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
17. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
18. Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
19. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
20. Stars- The North

Honorable mentions: Shearwater – Animal Joy; Grimes - Visions; Swans – The Seer, Chairlift – Something; Bob Dylan - Tempest

Back
Top Bottom