The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't stand 3 Doors Down's music in general, but I do agree that's probably their most tolerable song.

I've still yet to see the Olivia and John video or hear the song, save for a small snippet that played on some TV show recently. I'm thinking it's best to just continue living in ignorance.

Wait, they had other songs? I hated kryptonite.

It's taken me about a week to get through this Frank Ocean album. The only observation I care to make is that Bad Religion makes me think of R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. Can't believe this is one of the top albums of the year. :|

I'm on track 7 (of 17) and have wanted to stop it about 3 times. The annoying skits and fake songs in between things kill me. I like the real songs though. Do I like them any more than I liked '90's R&B? Probably not.

The short skits are, short. They've never bothered me. :shrug: I do agree they're unnecessary.

I've taken the skits out of my iPod and have found the album more enjoyable. Still not a top 10 for me from this year.

I took the skits out beforehand. Like I said earlier, I liked the album fine, he has a nice voice, but it's not a top anything album for me except if there were an overrated list.

The appeal of Frank Ocean for me is in the vocals. The guy is smooth as hell. I suppose that some backlash to the critical acclaim is to be expected, but it should not detract from the overall quality of the album.

he has a nice voice.

The appeal of Frank Ocean for me is in the vocals. The guy is smooth as hell.

:up:

I don't really care about critical acclaim or lack thereof once I actually listen to an album. I did give this a listen because people in here were raving about it, and that to me means something. So, in terms of its reception in B&C I deem it to be "overrated" not in terms of whatever some unknown to me reviewers had to say about it, because that's useless to me.

As usual, glad that people are digging it, glad I gave it a listen, I just didn't think it was all that.

mewithoutYou's album was really really good. Did anyone mention it this year at all? I get a Modest Mouse vibe from it, along with some post-hardcore. Very melodic too though, and the lyrics are a bit goofy. I think they like Jeff Tweedy.

Also, Burial's got another strong EP out.

I haven't heard a mewithoutYou album in years. They remind me of high school.

mewithoutYou's album was really really good. Did anyone mention it this year at all? I get a Modest Mouse vibe from it, along with some post-hardcore. Very melodic too though, and the lyrics are a bit goofy. I think they like Jeff Tweedy.

Also, Burial's got another strong EP out.

There is a lot here I'm not understanding. This is either due to me mixing up mewithoutyou or due to them no longer being the band they used to be.

Wiki says they were on tooth & nail, so unless I'm mixing up my lousy Christian hardcore bands, I think the later.

After hearing two mewithoutYou albums, I honestly had no idea they were Christian rock, even though Rhapsody labeled them that way. I have no idea what's happening there.

It's perfectly possible for Christian bands to not suck. And I'm saying this as an atheist. Hell, I've been listening to flatfoot 56 pretty much nonstop the last couple weeks, been a fan of those guys for years and they've never made their religion a secret. It's also perfectly possible for Christian bands to not write "praise Jesus with me or you're all going to hell!" in every single song. I haven't heard mewithoutyou in years, so I can't even vaguely remember why I didn't like them, but I think it had more to do with what they sound like than their cramming theology down my throat.

Hmm. Doing a search pulls up a thread that was started when this years album came out. Caleb8888 and mikal were the only ones who posted in it. I swear a search should have pulled up another thread from years ago though...

I thought you were Rastafarian.

Just because i have filthy stinking dreadlocks, doesn't mean I like bob marley!!!!!

And by dreadlocks, I mean I shave my head every couple of weeks.

One of those may be true. Or maybe neither are. You wouldn't believe me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom