The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just about to post the same...album covers this year have been uninteresting at best...like Bloom's..Swans is cool though.

Plus I hate Pitchforks multiple end of year lists...best quotes, best covers etc...there is just no need, just show us the top tracks and albums. I know Popmatters have multiple lists for different genres but at least that is still about the music.

The album covers lists are usually considerably better than what they put up this year. I usually don't mind those. Quotes and photos of the year though, yeah, I'm not interested in that.

Is it weird I think a large number of the album covers on Pitchfork's "best album covers of 2012" belong in the worst list?

I always feel that way.

I didn't really have a lot of album covers I felt strongly about this year, but I made a list anyways. The last time I made a list (2010) it was because I saw so many I liked I wanted to share them.

Haha. Well said.

I like the Channel Orange album cover. It's really simple, obviously, but I find it striking for some reason. I've always liked that color, I guess.

Dirty Projectors' cover is cool. It's not what one would expect from a typical album cover, and it has Amber!

In no particular order

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
2. Did I mention Van Halen's Different Kind Of Truth?! The best comeback album I've ever heard from a band/solo artist?!
3. Beach House - Bloom
4. Black Keys - El Camino
5. Broken Bells - Broken Bells
6. U2 - U22
7. Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
8. Simple Minds - Silver Box
9. Best Music DVDs three-way tie: The Who live in Houston/The Rolling Stones' "Charlie Is My Darling" and LZ's Celebration Day

I know some of these were released last year and the year before, some of these are live albums, and I realize that I thought a certain album was SOO great that it deserved two spots, but who gives a fuck about technicalities? :shrug:

So I'm just gonna go ahead and post this, Cobbler's favourite songs from 2012.

1. Bat for Lashes - Laura
From the first time I heard this track I was in love. Though it proved to be red herring on the album that followed it remains the highlight. The stark instrumentation of gentle piano and some faint horns combines spectacularly with an incredibly passionate, touching vocal from Natasha Khan about a friend who's losing their way. The video, too, was mesmerising.

2. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
An absolutely masterful R&B track and probably the best thing any member of Odd Future has put out to date. The subversive subject matter is complemented brilliantly by the music, which transitions seamlessly from an acid-house jam to a more melancholic slow burn as the protagonist realises being in love with a prostitute won't work as out he'd hoped. Even the lengthy John Mayer guitar solo works.

3. Chad Valley - Fall 4 U
Discovered this song in one of Pitchfork's "Best New Tracks" section. Was checking out one song, that I can't recall, and when it ended, this outplayed. And it is absolutely glorious. The huge, high-pitched synths give way to a monster of a track, a heartbroken-but-trodding-on sort of tune with amazing vocals from Hugo Manuel. One of the best synth-pop tracks I have ever heard.

4. Atoms for Peace - Default
Slightly dirty, skittery, glitchy electro with the unmistakable lilting vocals of Thom Yorke over the top - how could this not end up as one of my fav tracks of the year? The dark synths that come in for the chorus are awesome as all hell. It all sounds like the sort of music you'd hear in a treacherous part of a video game.

5. Kanye West - White Dress
It really is staggering just how good Kanye has been over the past two years. Fresh from MBDTF, Watch the Throne, Cruel Summer and countless guest verses here Yeezy teams up with RZA (who produces) to drop one of the most effortlessly brilliant hip-hop tunes of the year from the soundtrack to RZA's The Man With The Iron Fists movie. There is no chorus, Kanye simply raps for about three consecutive minutes and is at his smooth, loquacious best. I'm all for him and Kim getting married if we get more tracks like this.

6. Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
One of my original disappointments with good kid, m.A.A.d city was that no track matched my favourites from Section.80 like "Rigamortis" or "Reagan Era" or "Fuck Your Ethnicity". But as usual, I was wrong. Swimming Pools has astounding production from T-Minus, from the cool, understated beats in the verses to the faraway synths that come in the background during the chorus. Kendrick never stays in one space either, switching from high-pitched to slow to fast and goes into anthem territory with the chorus.

7. Gorillaz - DoYaThing (ft. Andre 3000 & James Murphy)
Just when we thought Gorillaz were done and dusted, Converse, god bless them, brought them back, paired them with my two favourite people on the motherfucking planet, and out popped one of the most fun tracks of the year. Damon Albarn sounds as good as ever, the beat jumps along nicely and, yes, Andre Benjamin knocks it out of the park, his rap flowing as expertly as ever and slowly speeding up. Check out the 13-minute version - it contains six or seven minutes of Andre claiming "I'm the shit" over and over again.

8. Hot Chip - Flutes
Hot Chip are my fucking boys and Flutes was one of the best, dirtiest dance tracks of the year, and certainly up there with the best songs they've put out. Best listened to through headphones with good bass, it starts off with unintelligible babble and slowly adds synths, drums, bass and all the rest. Alexis Taylor's high-pitched, lilting, restrained-in-pace vocal mixes expertly with the music, making the moments of liftoff all the better. I used it often for running. The only problem is I've now reminded myself that I won't get to hear them play this live, as I'm seeing Beach House the same night.

9. The Tallest Man on Earth - 1904
Just a genuinely beautiful track and one that has stuck with me throughout the entire earth. The acoustic guitar propels the track along at a great pace and the little electric flourishes are gorgeous. And yeah, the dude sounds like Bob Dylan, but in a really good way. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

10. Passion Pit - Constant Conversations
Passion Pit slowed it right down with this track and the result is one of the best songs the band has put together. It's refreshing to hear Michael Angelakos singing at a slower pace but still able to work in his falsetto effortlessly. The slow, slinky music and soul sample create a relaxed atmosphere that is impossible to resist.

11. Father John Misty - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
Elevates itself into song-of-the-year contention through the expansive sound created by the huge drums and churning, bluesy guitar. Great vocals from Josh Tillman and the video has Aubrey Plaza in it.

12. Something for Kate - Star-Crossed Citizens
"Miracle Cure" is probably the catchiest, all-round best tune from SFK's new album but there is absolutely no beating the slamming, cathartic guitar that comes in over the top of Paul Dempsey's melancholic chorus, particularly when it comes in for the second time and Steph Ashworth and Clint Hyndman pick up the pace in the rhythm section. The opening track on the new album it ushered in a stellar return for the band.

13. M83 - Mirror
M83 does LCD Soundsystem. Enough said.

14. Odd Future - Oldie
Proof that behind the hyperactive beats, the idiotic behaviour, the misogynistic lyricism and general immaturity, lies a very talented hip-hop group. The beat is straight out of the early-mid 90s and sees each member of OFWGKTA get their time in the sun. Earl's verse shines through. Perhaps behind only Yonkers and She as the best thing they've done. The video is charming.

15. Nas - Stay
Just an absolutely gorgeous tune from one of hip-hop's renowned tough heads. Some of the most sweetly melancholic horns you'll ever hear.

Honourable mentions for Myth, Sleeping Ute, about six songs off Cruel Summer, Children of the Moon by Flaming Lips & Tame Impala, Earl by BADBADNOTGOOD. And the Gangnam Style video.

Also

Best Andre 3000 guest spots in 2012
Pink Matter (Frank Ocean)
DoYaThing (Gorillaz)
Sixteen (Rick Ross)
Sorry (T.I.)

All were outstanding though.

Flatfoot 56 reminds me that as much as I may try to listen to stuff that is discussed here and finds its way onto lists that get posted here, I've still got to go elsewhere to find stuff I like best. Nothing innovative, masterful, or any other critic buzzwords would be used to describe their album "toil," it just kicks ass.

In no particular order

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
2. Did I mention Van Halen's Different Kind Of Truth?! The best comeback album I've ever heard from a band/solo artist?!
3. Beach House - Bloom
4. Black Keys - El Camino
5. Broken Bells - Broken Bells
6. U2 - U22
7. Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
8. Simple Minds - Silver Box
9. Best Music DVDs three-way tie: The Who live in Houston/The Rolling Stones' "Charlie Is My Darling" and LZ's Celebration Day

I know some of these were released last year and the year before, some of these are live albums, and I realize that I thought a certain album was SOO great that it deserved two spots, but who gives a fuck about technicalities? :shrug:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on A Different Kind of Truth. I know it won't get much love around these parts, but that album kicks so much ass after Tattoo. Also my favorite live show of 2012.

Have you ever seen Metal and Punk thrown into the same genre list before? Punk and Hardcore, sure. Metal and Prog, yeah. Punk, metal, and hardcore....wha?

Have you ever seen Metal and Punk thrown into the same genre list before? Punk and Hardcore, sure. Metal and Prog, yeah. Punk, metal, and hardcore....wha?

Yes, but by people who usually can't tell the difference.

I've seen it before, I guess as a way of appeasing people who can't agree which genres are more punk than metal and which are more metal than punk. Mainly elitist metalheads who won't accept metalcore as a metal genre because "it's hardcore punk with metal influences, not metal with hardcore punk influences!!!!!!" (or nu-metal and alt metal for that matter), yet will generally have no issue accepting grindcore, an obvious outgrowth of hardcore punk, as a form of metal.

yet will generally have no issue accepting grindcore, an obvious outgrowth of hardcore punk, as a form of metal.

And even funnier about that is those of us more reticent to accept grindcore who come from more of a hardcore punk background.

3800a2a3.png

Back
Top Bottom