The best live albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ComaGirl

Babyface
I've done a search for this subject and not found anything, so here goes....
in the last few years I've discovered the pure joy that is the Live Album. IMO, there's something about a really great live album that is just that bit more satisfying than studio albums - I wish U2 would release more; they'd be amazing. So, I was wondering - what's everyone's favourite live album(s)? Mine are:
From Here To Eternity - The Clash
Kicking Television - Wilco
Farewell To The World - Crowded House
these are, un-coincidentally, three of my five favourite albums of all time. I guess I'm a sucker for the live stuff.

Most of Pearl Jam's official bootlegs
The Cure - Show
Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

I also like Paul McCartney, Back in the US, a lot -- as well as the new one from the opening of the new stadium in New York.

And Bruce Springsteen, Live in Dublin (Seeger Sessions music).

Oh -- and Paul Simon's Concert from Central Park, 1991, is some of my favorite music. Again, great world music influences.

iron-maiden-live-after-death.jpg

I really like Tori Amos's Bootlegs collection. Six double albums of nothing but Tori live and at her best. :heart:

Glad I'm not alone on that one, Shouter.

Back in the early 00's, I saw a triple bill at Long Beach Arena with Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, and Tenacious D, and the highlight of the night was Jimmy Eat World's singer yelling between songs "Scream for me Long Beach...SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!" in a clear Live After Death homage.

Aces High with the Winston Churchill speech lead-in is one of the greatest concert openers ever:

YouTube - Iron Maiden - Aces High (Live After Death)

Glad I'm not alone on that one, Shouter.

Not my favorite band, but that is a MONSTER of a live record. A great recording of some great songs, and played by a great band and the height of its powers. Stunning just how bad more than 90% of live records are, and therefore even more impressive, the good ones.

I'm going to toss this in here since you can download all the audio from the DVD for free by accessing the DVD's extras:

Sunken_Treasure_Live_in_the_Pacific_Northwest.jpg

Speaking of PULSE, is that Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii DVD worth a purchase? That was a really interesting period for Pink Floyd; though it was shot just before their rise to stardom, they had already made a clutch of very good albums by that point. It seems sort of cool, but I have no idea what the performances are like, nor do I know the track listing.

Speaking of PULSE, is that Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii DVD worth a purchase? That was a really interesting period for Pink Floyd; though it was shot just before their rise to stardom, they had already made a clutch of very good albums by that point. It seems sort of cool, but I have no idea what the performances are like, nor do I know the track listing.

i've got the pompeii dvd, and if you can find it pretty damn cheap then yes, but if it's a bit expensive no, not particularly. i've watched it once and really the only standouts are watching the band mill around in the empty ampitheatre playing Echoes (which they split into two parts). most of the rest of it is some pretty good live performances interspersed every few minutes with shots of them sitting around talking about breakfast.

it's got Echoes, Careful with That Axe, Brain Damage, Us & Them, Mademoiselle Nobs (Seamus "live") and a few others.

i stopped buying live albums a few years ago because 9 times out of 10 they're really nothing more than greatest hits albums of lesser sound quality/with a crowd background or fading in and out when the engineer thought it sounded good. as was mentioned, from here to eternity is good, it's got a couple awesome versions of a few of their songs. but i don't really like the concept of live albums as random live tracks from various different shows. hence the reason i started tracking down bootlegged shows from my favorite bands (traditionally not official as well as official ones from the few who put those things out there)...although i've also stopped doing that to the degree i used to. one only needs so many versions of "thunder road," even if it is one of the greatest songs ever written. i did pick up that shea stadium clash album a little while ago, and that was pretty damn good.

i think if i am going to listen to the dave matthews band at all these days (which i am not very likely to do), i'd rather it be from a live album, though.

oh. and the clapton unplugged album is not overrated. i think that gets added here.

i stopped buying live albums a few years ago because 9 times out of 10 they're really nothing more than greatest hits albums of lesser sound quality/with a crowd background or fading in and out when the engineer thought it sounded good. as was mentioned, from here to eternity is good, it's got a couple awesome versions of a few of their songs. but i don't really like the concept of live albums as random live tracks from various different shows. hence the reason i started tracking down bootlegged shows from my favorite bands (traditionally not official as well as official ones from the few who put those things out there)...although i've also stopped doing that to the degree i used to. one only needs so many versions of "thunder road," even if it is one of the greatest songs ever written. i did pick up that shea stadium clash album a little while ago, and that was pretty damn good.

i think if i am going to listen to the dave matthews band at all these days (which i am not very likely to do), i'd rather it be from a live album, though.

oh. and the clapton unplugged album is not overrated. i think that gets added here.

Not a single mention of this?

DropkickMurphys-LiveOnStPat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom