The best live albums? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Another dynamite drop in...

Anyway, don't miss this:

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Best ever:

Right up there:

Laz is hella-right:

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Glad I'm not alone on that one, Shouter.

Back in the early 00's, I saw a triple bill at Long Beach Arena with Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, and Tenacious D, and the highlight of the night was Jimmy Eat World's singer yelling between songs "Scream for me Long Beach...SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!" in a clear Live After Death homage.

Aces High with the Winston Churchill speech lead-in is one of the greatest concert openers ever:

YouTube - Iron Maiden - Aces High (Live After Death)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

In spite of being a fan of The Who for years, seeing this show last year was an epiphany for me. I had no idea of the almost punk-like energy they (especially Pete) brought to their live shows. For fans, this is absolutely worth tracking down.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleVertigo View Post
One of my favorites is Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live. Love the world music influences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
The Cure - Show
These two, and then of course, Springsteen...like, all of them. Live 1975-85, The FANTASTIC Hammersmith performance, and of course, Live in New York.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Glad I'm not alone on that one, Shouter.
Not my favorite band, but that is a MONSTER of a live record. A great recording of some great songs, and played by a great band and the height of its powers. Stunning just how bad more than 90% of live records are, and therefore even more impressive, the good ones.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm going to toss this in here since you can download all the audio from the DVD for free by accessing the DVD's extras:

Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 08:22 PM

Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #24
The Male

Speaking of PULSE, is that Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii DVD worth a purchase? That was a really interesting period for Pink Floyd; though it was shot just before their rise to stardom, they had already made a clutch of very good albums by that point. It seems sort of cool, but I have no idea what the performances are like, nor do I know the track listing.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #25
Refugee

i didn't like it. to me the sound and look of pulse was perfect.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #26
45:33

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Speaking of PULSE, is that Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii DVD worth a purchase? That was a really interesting period for Pink Floyd; though it was shot just before their rise to stardom, they had already made a clutch of very good albums by that point. It seems sort of cool, but I have no idea what the performances are like, nor do I know the track listing.
i've got the pompeii dvd, and if you can find it pretty damn cheap then yes, but if it's a bit expensive no, not particularly. i've watched it once and really the only standouts are watching the band mill around in the empty ampitheatre playing Echoes (which they split into two parts). most of the rest of it is some pretty good live performances interspersed every few minutes with shots of them sitting around talking about breakfast.

it's got Echoes, Careful with That Axe, Brain Damage, Us & Them, Mademoiselle Nobs (Seamus "live") and a few others.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #27
Babyface

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I'm going to toss this in here since you can download all the audio from the DVD for free by accessing the DVD's extras:

I must download that. Jeff Tweedy =
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:22 PM
i stopped buying live albums a few years ago because 9 times out of 10 they're really nothing more than greatest hits albums of lesser sound quality/with a crowd background or fading in and out when the engineer thought it sounded good. as was mentioned, from here to eternity is good, it's got a couple awesome versions of a few of their songs. but i don't really like the concept of live albums as random live tracks from various different shows. hence the reason i started tracking down bootlegged shows from my favorite bands (traditionally not official as well as official ones from the few who put those things out there)...although i've also stopped doing that to the degree i used to. one only needs so many versions of "thunder road," even if it is one of the greatest songs ever written. i did pick up that shea stadium clash album a little while ago, and that was pretty damn good.

i think if i am going to listen to the dave matthews band at all these days (which i am not very likely to do), i'd rather it be from a live album, though.

oh. and the clapton unplugged album is not overrated. i think that gets added here.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

U2- Under a Blood Red Sky
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i stopped buying live albums a few years ago because 9 times out of 10 they're really nothing more than greatest hits albums of lesser sound quality/with a crowd background or fading in and out when the engineer thought it sounded good. as was mentioned, from here to eternity is good, it's got a couple awesome versions of a few of their songs. but i don't really like the concept of live albums as random live tracks from various different shows. hence the reason i started tracking down bootlegged shows from my favorite bands (traditionally not official as well as official ones from the few who put those things out there)...although i've also stopped doing that to the degree i used to. one only needs so many versions of "thunder road," even if it is one of the greatest songs ever written. i did pick up that shea stadium clash album a little while ago, and that was pretty damn good.

i think if i am going to listen to the dave matthews band at all these days (which i am not very likely to do), i'd rather it be from a live album, though.

oh. and the clapton unplugged album is not overrated. i think that gets added here.
Not a single mention of this?