The Best Albums of 2014 According to 19 People on a U2 Sub-Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of my 15 years as a member here and of the four U2 albums released during that time I feel the post Songs of Innocence excitement and discussion has died down a tremendous amount. Maybe it will pick up again once the tour starts up.

Yeah. I'd say it crashed with Bono's bike.

In addition, this place has seen quite the net loss of active members over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this forum/site predated social media so I'm going to guess a lot of people are more active on facebook and such.

Yeah that album boost in forum activity definitely didn't seem as strong as HTDAAB or even NLOTH. Will be interesting to see how much the tour kicks things along.

Yeah, this forum/site predated social media so I'm going to guess a lot of people are more active on facebook and such.

That's surely a factor, and also I have to wonder if it's partly because U2 aren't attracting that many new fans any more, especially not young ones. Around HTDAAB, there was a strong contingent of teenage members, myself included; there are now a lot of well-established forum regulars in their mid to late twenties. However, there has not been such an influx since then - not with NLOTH and definitely not SOI. There are a few notable younger posters, but somebody like digitize sticks out for that very reason.

Even if it were a great album, the manner of launch and then Bono falling off his bike sort of killed it on arrival. The pointless (and sure to be many more if Bono hadn't, well, fallen off his bike) acoustic performances probably didn't help much.

This forum overall still seems relatively active to me (of course I'm comparing it with a forum where two days can go by without any post) except for FYM which is just gutted. But it deserved to die. Fucking US-centric headline-of-the-day level of political discourse.

:reject: I always enjoyed sharing headline of the day type stories because I'd like to discuss them, but not with the bozos who post in newspaper comment sections.

The pointless (and sure to be many more if Bono hadn't, well, fallen off his bike) acoustic performances probably didn't help much.

What I found hilarious on EYKIW was how utterly dismissive people would be to anything on Twitter on day, and then the next day when somebody slagged off yet another acoustic performance the very same people would whip out a couple of positive Twitter statuses to say "see it's popular with TEH YUNG PEEPEL!!11!1"

This forum overall still seems relatively active to me (of course I'm comparing it with a forum where two days can go by without any post) except for FYM which is just gutted. But it deserved to die. Fucking US-centric headline-of-the-day level of political discourse.

Yeah in general Interference is fairly healthy given the golden age of messageboards has well and truly ended. Shame that the occasional attempts to revive FYM or give it a broader global focus have been pretty much stillborn.

I reckon messageboards are like the blogosphere and I guess pretty much anything once the novelty wears off. The golden age may be over, but they aren't going away in a hurry.

:reject: I always enjoyed sharing headline of the day type stories because I'd like to discuss them, but not with the bozos who post in newspaper comment sections.

Oh I meant other people's threads, not you.:hyper:

Nah, I get that a lot of debates are kick-started by the examples in daily news, but so much of the discussion over the years at fym seemed to be like 'oh look, this awful thing happened' and then you get three pages of people saying how awful it was that awful thing happened, and then you'd get that one guy who'd quote the lyrics to 'MLK' upon the execution of Saddam Hussein. Good times.

I do miss the pile-ons though. I was once piled on for about a page and a half for calling Diamond a piece of shit.

No you don't have to explain, I don't mind if it's a habit people don't all enjoy, I was just sharing a little self-deprecating 'oops, I resemble that remark' moment.

I think the shift, where there has been one, to Facebook etc is a real shame, a narrowing, a retreat into echo chambers and walled gardens. But I also think 'good riddance then'.

The lack of RTJ is disappointing.

I agree and feel a little responsible for this. I got into RTJ too late. Even after Cobbz said I could change my list, I was too sick to figure out the difference between the two different albums they released this year.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I thought it was a disappointing year as well. Like I don't think I'll ever listen to the Thom Yorke album again and I gave it like three votes.

Yeah. Although the Thom Yorke album was on my list I was still a tad disappointed in it as well. The surprise was cool but I wasn't happy about having to download via torrent. And there weren't any songs that stood out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, 2014 was so-so. There was great new releases but I found myself looking forward to a lot of reissues in 2014.

I thought 2014 was the best year for music in quite some time.

I though 2014 was a great year for music. :shrug: But then bad years rarely happen for me, just years lacking all-time favorites (which 2014 had via Lost in the Dream and Pinata). I listen to too much music not to find a glut of music I like every year.

I wrote an article defending music of the here and now last year, so there's still plenty to find and love, just down a little on previous years. But I probably listened to a little less new stuff last year.

I thought 2013 was pretty unmemorable. 2012 on the other hand was full of great stuff: Idler Wheel, Bloom, R.A.P. Music, Channel Orange, The Seer, Good Kid Maad City, Lonerism, THE RETURN OF GODSPEED, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom