The Best Albums of 2014 According to 19 People on a U2 Sub-Forum - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 12:46 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Wait, Black Messiah is not in the top-20 at all? That is... surprising.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #92
45:33

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post

Number eight mate!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #93
The Male

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
It's #8.

Edit: So nice it needed to be said twice. One of the placements I'm really happy with.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Ugh. Sorry, my bad.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #95
She's the One

The Best Albums of 2014 According to 19 People on a U2 Sub-Forum

Nm
Old 02-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #96
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Blah blah, God this is so fucking boring. Glad it's over with. Hopefully none of you will be inconvenienced by U2 releasing an album again any time soon so you all can find something else to bitch and moan about. Holy shit.
Hopefully they release a better album next time.

Now.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Maybe to avoid this next time any U2 nomination should be disregarded because rating a U2 album on a U2 forum is just too risky and unacceptable.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 AM   #98
The Male

I believe it would be fairer to everyone if we force the handful that dislike SOI to conform than it would be to inconvenience the majority with an unusual opinion any longer. Invasive cranial surgery perhaps?

Now.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:24 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 PM
I was actually thinking we should do the other way round, but that's just me.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #100
45:33

I really don't care. It was always going to do well. I just don't like it very much. No biggie
Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:51 AM
The lack of RTJ is disappointing. SOI is placed higher than I expected but it's still a good album so it's all good for me.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Maybe to avoid this next time any U2 nomination should be disregarded because rating a U2 album on a U2 forum is just too risky and unacceptable.

I'm pleased on where it ended up in the rankings but you do have a point. U2 albums here (for good reason because this is a U2 forum) just sparks such strong emotions and microscopic analysis on both sides of the spectrum, much more compared to the other albums released. I voted it #1 because it was my favorite album of 2014, so nothing skewed there. But some of the people who dislike the album have gone out of their way to voice it so many times that the opinion loses authenticity after a while because if it were any other album by any other band, they'd probably just move on and not talk about it.

Great example. I didn't really care for the St Vincent or Sun Kill Moon albums, but you won't see me insulting the people that voted for it.

Overall, that's just what Interference has become. If you like what U2 released, you must be blind and you'll probably change your mind years from now. If you don't like what U2 released, you're a hater/troll. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

The absence of the Ex Hex album from this list is a mark of shame on this forum.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #104
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Blah blah, God this is so fucking boring. Glad it's over with. Hopefully none of you will be inconvenienced by U2 releasing an album again any time soon so you all can find something else to bitch and moan about. Holy shit.
Wow, don't get so personally offended. You've listened to a lot of albums this year, so I'd have thought you'd sympathise - even if you disagree - with the idea that there's a hell of a lot happening out there that's more interesting and enjoyable than a late career blip by some stadium rockers whose past glories somehow seem more relevant right now than anything new they may do.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #105
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
But some of the people who dislike the album have gone out of their way to voice it so many times that the opinion loses authenticity after a while because if it were any other album by any other band, they'd probably just move on and not talk about it.

Great example. I didn't really care for the St Vincent or Sun Kill Moon albums, but you won't see me insulting the people that voted for it.

Overall, that's just what Interference has become. If you like what U2 released, you must be blind and you'll probably change your mind years from now. If you don't like what U2 released, you're a hater/troll. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground anymore.
I'm sorry if my posts come across that way, because I'm more just surprised than anything. I think I've generally stayed out of SOI discussions - I'm already at the point where I think "oh yeah, U2 did release an album last year didn't they?" I don't dislike it as much as it simply didn't grab my interest very strongly, especially not after the initial surprise wore off and I'd listened to Cedarwood Road and The Troubles enough to slake what remaining thirst I have for new U2.

I can't escape the feeling that the traditional "Interference overrating a new U2 album" thing has been represented in this outcome to a degree, in the same way as a new album has always done well in its first Survivor on EYKIW before plummeting in later editions. I say this as somebody who definitely got really enthusiastic and swept up in the excitement about the previous two U2 albums, only for that to wear off and those two albums to sink like stones. I actually think SOI, in the long run, will fare better with me because I've had a less excessive, more measured reaction to it. I don't have much to kneejerk against in the future, you know?

End of the day, in almost all of these rankings, I've found most highly-ranked albums to be mediocre or uninteresting to me (I remain surprised that this time around the #1 album is one I've played the shit out of the past couple of months). It's just this time one of those albums is by a band on which I have a strong enough opinion to write more than a "meh".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awful, cobbler, fuck, thread, youu