The Bends is a damned beautiful album!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Dream is one of my favorite songs by any band.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using U2 Interference mobile app

Planet Telex is one of the great openers, love Sulk too. I could easily mount a case for any song on that album, I don't know how most feel about High and Dry but I think that has a worthy place too.

I go through different phases with different tracks being favorites and least favorites, but at the end of the day, this is easily my favorite Radiohead album.

I have never liked My Iron Lung or Just very much, and that probably colours my impression of the otherwise stunning moments on the album. They were still in a transitional phase at the time, I think. Still moving out from under that early 90s thing, and on their way to what they would become.

I love the verses and guitar in My Iron Lung but the chorus sucks, and I don't like Just much.

Have never understood the ambivalence for High and Dry though, love that song.

Yeah High & Dry is beautiful - one of their most natural and effortless melodies.

What I anticipate will be an unpopular opinion: I prefer King of Limbs to The Bends, as great as the latter is.

My Iron Lung is one of my least favorites on the album these days.

I have never liked My Iron Lung.

I love the verses and guitar in My Iron Lung but the chorus sucks, and I don't like Just much.

I think Cobbler nailed it. It's always been my least favorite, but the verses don't bother me. The chorus is meh. I don't really like the guitar either, though.

Just is prob my second least favorite, but there's a big gulf between.

Bulletproof is my #1

Even though the Peter Pan lyric bugs me I like how Thomas holds the note in Bones.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using U2 Interference mobile app

Bulletproof (I Wish You Weren't) is still the best alternative song title I've gotten from Interference. Sounds like a Jack Nicholson Party song.

Hasn't Thom Yorke put a bullet in his head yet? Just kidding, not really, but yes this was a great album. Although much like U2 I dont think Radiohead has ever made a bad album in my opinion. Will be interesting if they put out another album and I hope they do.

High and Dry is a nice song but by their standards a bit of a lesser track imo, and, it does not help that it was massively overplayed for a while in the late nineties. Fake Plastic Trees is a stronger song and even it sort of glides on past me these days, simply by virtue of having been heard too many damn times. Both are good songs.

Bulletproof (Wish You Weren't) is also one of my fav posts in this thread.

Yeah, High and Dry was overplayed quite a bit at the time on MTV and elsewhere. Same with Fake Plastic Trees. I love them both though.

Damn... MTV used to play a lot of 'alternative rock' those days!

So many silly opinions from usual suspects about My Iron Lung and Just. Those two songs are fabulous.

Just is awesome. When I saw Radiohead in 2007 (back when the band still acknowledged the existence of their albums before Kid A), Just got the crowd more pumped than any other song that night.

I was remembering yesterday about when I saw them live in 2008 in NYC... a bunch of people in front of me put their hands up in the air or did a fist-pump or something when those 2 random guitar blasts (don't know what else to call them) occur during My Iron Lung. Good times!

Loving Lance's old Radiohead opinion.

No one fucks with The Bends. Pretty much the only irreproachable Radiohead album.

Everything else falls in the
categories 'rookie', 'overrated', 'tuneless', 'crawled up their own arse' or 'lousy songwriting'.

Brilliant and true. :wink:

The Bends always is and always will be Radiohead's greatest album.

And to think he would become King Of Limbs' greatest defender...

Bulletproof (I Wish You Weren't) is still the best alternative song title I've gotten from Interference.

Bulletproof (Wish You Weren't) is also one of my fav posts in this thread.

Are you guys referring to this exchange?

Still underwhelming as an album for me, mind you (Nice Dream) has really grown on me the past 6 months or so, one of Yorke's greatest vocals.

bulletproof [hope you aren't]

Intedomine vs. Laz... those were some funny days.

You know, these days every time I see Michael Jackson's Bad album in my collection I'm reminded of Lazarus.

Haha. A lot changes over the course of years, and especially my opinions have taken a particularly weird turn in the last year especially, mostly with regard to film, but music too, which is likely a result of me listening to it more sparingly as well.

But yeah, I actually threw in The Bends a couple weeks ago and didn't enjoy it at all!

Yeah High & Dry is beautiful - one of their most natural and effortless melodies.

What I anticipate will be an unpopular opinion: I prefer King of Limbs to The Bends, as great as the latter is.

It certainly appears to be an unpopular opinion in this place. I've never understood why Interference rates KOL so lowly. I love that album. Infinitely better than The Bends in my opinion.

The first half of KOL is probably their weakest stretch of music since Pablo Honey, but the second half is excellent. Not a weak track in the bunch. Collectively, it's not one of their better works, but I can't understand why a fan would actively dislike it.

I love KoL as it is, but replacing Feral with The Butcher and maybe Magpie with Staircase makes it significantly better, in my opinion.

Just is awesome. When I saw Radiohead in 2007 (back when the band still acknowledged the existence of their albums before Kid A), Just got the crowd more pumped than any other song that night.

In 2001 in Montreal, the band was just about to launch into their second-to-last song when some people in the front row began yelling "Just! Just!" Thom was like, "what's that?", then promptly switched his guitar and the band launched into a fantastic version of Just. The review I read the next day said that The Bends was originally in that spot on the setlist. Was such a cool moment.

Back
Top Bottom