The Bends is a damned beautiful album!!! - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #226
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I just remember the penny dropping somewhere around 1996/97 that, oh, this was the 'Creep' band (not that it's a bad single at all, but 1992 was a long time ago at that point).
If I recall Spin gave the Bends a not so great review at the time and compared it to Pablo Honey.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #227
45:33

Local Time: 04:37 PM
OK Computer was my entry point. There are several old posts of mine in this forum hanging shit on it, calling it a load of noise and so on. First time I listened to it I turned it off after Fitter Happier. I went back to it a few months later and it just clicked, and thank god it did.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Karma Police was a revelation... I'm not sure I would have bought OK Computer absent one intriguing newspaper review that compared the band's music to the 'widescreen' aesthetic of mid-period U2, and also hearing Karma Police on the radio.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
The Bends is still the best Radiohead album for mine.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
If I recall Spin gave the Bends a not so great review at the time and compared it to Pablo Honey.
Gotta love magazines and their retrospectively-mea-culpa'd reviews. I can imagine what Nevermind, Achtung Baby, Led Zeppelin's entire catalogue and a host of others got upon release.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:29 AM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life

Radiohead, 'The Bends' (Capitol)
SPIN Rating:5 of 10
May 1 1995
by Chuck Eddy

This is one of those follow-up albums (like the last Spin Doctors one and, I fear, the next Counting Crows, the Offspring, and Blur records) that I always hope will sound like ten imitations of the one or two great hits of the band's not-so-great previous commercial-breakthrough LP, but instead just proves the band is afraid to be pigeonholed into the only style it's very good at.

Radiohead's breakthrough hit was "Creep," which at first I dismissed as a wussy David Bowie cabaret ballad with corny Jesus and Mary Chain lawnmower guitar snags stuck in there. But eventually I fell in love because I'm a creep and weirdo who wonders what the hell I'm doing here myself, plus the lawnmowers really did snag me, and the falsetto part was heaven. Radiohead singing "I want you to notice when I'm not around" was even better than creepy weirdo Michael Jackson singing "You won't be laughing girl when I'm not around" in "Give In to Me" (my second-favorite song of 1993), and both lines felt like suicide.

The Bends is never "Creep"-like enough, but "My Iron Lung" (a late Beatles pastiche with surprise noise) and "Just" (which seems to swipe powerchords from "Smells Like Nirvana" by "Weird Al" Yankovic)come close. There's more nice guitar gush (e.g. the sub-Tom-Scholz anthemic stairclimb of "Black Star"), but the rest of the album mostly reminds me of Suede trying to rock like Sparks but coming out like U2, or (more often) that hissy little pissant in Smashing Pumpkins passive-aggressively inspiring me to clobber him with my copy of The Grand Illusion by Styx. Too much nodded-out nonsense mumble, not enough concrete emotion.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 AM   #232

If I spent 100 years coming up with descriptors for Creep I doubt I would ever arrive at "wussy David Bowie cabaret ballad"
Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

There you have it folks. Good people, you've made a terrible mistake! Chuck Eddy says you shouldn't listen to Radiohead!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
The Bends is still the best Radiohead album for mine.
Agreed. It's their most complete album and the one I go to most often. A dash of "shoegaze" and a pinch of "emo-before emo existed"
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 AM   #235
The Male

Why would anyone have a copy of The Grand Illusion they would be willing to take out in public and cobbler somebody with? And what does Styx have to do with Smashing Pumpkins?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 AM   #236
War Child

Local Time: 07:37 AM
That SPIN review is It really sounds like this Chuck Eddy gave one cursory listen to the album and wrote a review.

But I have to say I chuckled at that comparison between that MJ line from Dangerous and the one from Creep. That is quite a stretch!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 AM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
but instead just proves the band is afraid to be pigeonholed into the only style it's very good at.
Fantastic.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I may have said this before, but no other album has been more influential to me than Kid A. At the time it seemed so radical to me; at first I couldn't really handle it, but I gave it a number of tries because of how much I liked OK Computer. When in clicked, mainly through Idioteque, it opened my eyes to a world of alternative music I never knew existed.
This is very similar to my experience with Kid A. It's funny that that album of all albums, even ten years after its release, is the one that widened my taste in music significantly. Such a special album.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #239

I never had that experience with Kid A. I liked it from the get-go but I had broadened my tastes more widely by the time I heard it.

On The Bends, I rate it fourth in their catalogue, behind In Rainbows, OK Computer and Kid A. Black Star is on my Rushmore (jesus I've been overusing that phrase recently but whatevs) and I think Bulletproof is one of the band's most criminally underrated songs. So so so so beautiful.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #240
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
On The Bends, I rate it fourth in their catalogue, behind In Rainbows, OK Computer and Kid A. Black Star is on my Rushmore (jesus I've been overusing that phrase recently but whatevs) and I think Bulletproof is one of the band's most criminally underrated songs. So so so so beautiful.
I agree with all of this.

But man oh man is that top four superb.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiohead, the bends