The Beatles set to release 14 minutes of indulgence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
An epic Beatles improvisation could be released 41 years after it was recorded, Sir Paul McCartney has revealed.
The 14-minute track called Carnival of Light - a jumble of shrieks and psychedelic effects - was never released because three of the Fab Four thought it too adventurous.
Geroge Harrison even called it "avant-garde a clue".
"It does exist, McCartney told a BBC radio show, confirming he still had a master tape of the work and said he thought "the time has come for it".
"I like it because it's the Beatles free, going off piste.
"We were set up in the studio... (and) I said to the guys, 'This is a bit indulgent but would you mind giving me ten minutes?
"'All I want you to do is just wander round all of the stuff and bang it, shout, play it. It doesn't need to make any sense. Hit a drum, wander to the piano, hit a few notes.'
"And then we put a bit of echo on it. It's very free."
Recorded in 1967 by McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison and John Lennon at London's Abbey Road studios, Carnival of Light was played just once in public - at a music festival the same year.
It features the sound of gargled water, church organs and distorted guitar riffs along with Lennon and McCartney shouting phrases such as "Are you all right?" and "Barcelona!"
All McCartney needs now is the blessing of Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George Harrison's widow, Olivia, to release the song.

:drool:

"avant-garde a clue" :lol:

What do we reckon the chances are? I'd assume Yoko would be the biggest obstacle? :hyper:

In what meaningful sense do 'The Beatles' exist to release anything, at this point?

It's more like the mandatory release of cabinet papers thirty years on (when the Prime Minister and his associates are retired or dead).

Gaaaah.

It was always gonna be released one day, and now it looks like there might be a good chance.

Wasn't there once an alleged leak of it somewhere, not the full song, but just a fragment of the song.

Me thinks it'll be like Revolution 9.

It'll be interesting to hear a song that the Beatles felt was "too experimental." :ohmy:

Paul still needs the OK from Yoko, Ringo & George's wife...

COBL_04 - The biggest obstacle isn't Yoko. She's unconcerned either way and will let the other three decide. She'd probably enjoy the song's weirdness and may have even heard it before. George's wife is the big obstacle because George said "no" when they were compiling Anthology 2.

Intedomine - The song or a fragment of it has never leaked. Someone tried something akin to renaming tracks in the Napster days, but it obviously wasn't legit.

Utoo - The Beatles deemed this one "too experimental" because it's not actually a song. "Revolution 9" for all it's weirdness is still pretty tuneful and has a nice form to it. And it beat out other actual songs written by the other band members in order to make the album. "Carnival" is just some throw away background music meant for a one-off light show. I've done similar crap with lots of instruments and ProTools or GarageBand before. It's different in a respect because The Beatles had an ace producer and were ingenious at finding new sounds. But the song itself won't blow anybody over. It's more the fact that it's the only un-bootlegged Beatles track that we know to exist (the other is a lost recording of "Tip Of My Tongue" which another artist recorded shortly thereafter).

I, personally, think this track should be released as part of a shitty digital EP. Chuck in a few other "holy grail" tracks that haven't seen the light of day such as the 29 minute jam version of "Helter Skelter" along with a few other rarities and sell it on iTunes for cheap. This song will not live up to the hype and won't be what most of the public are expecting, so it might as well wave to the world from a collection that basically says, "here's a bunch of stuff we couldn't fit on the Anthologies that you're dying to hear"

What? My post is hardly negative. Just responding to some other posters. I'm still very :hyper: about hearing this track soon.

Back
Top Bottom