The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone know anything about this Liverpool band Pitchfork have been wetting themselves over all week?

They're alright, but I think most of the attention is because they were managed by Michael Jackson and are releasing multiple albums on the same day like Guns N Roses.

Whew, ok, I'm composed now.

Figures I make a post from the heart that some people might read and finally think to themselves "Ah, ok, so he's only 99% douchebag" and it's like post #998.

:)

Why would anyone think you're a douchebag for that post? It was extremely heartfelt.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah anything that even partially humanizes you is probably bad news.

We listened to and analyzed "Please Please Me" in my pop music seminar today. Good times. What a fucking fantastic piece of pop music that is. Flawlessly constructed, plus it has just enough frills, like the guitar fills, to maintain interest listen after listen. I know their earlier stuff doesn't get talked about as much, but really, it's simply perfect pop music.

impy, I can relate on the senior song front. The popular choice was "Paper Planes," but it was vetoed in favor of Corey Smith's "I'm Not Gonna Cry," which is 100x worse than you'd imagine it being. Since I was working on the senior video, I made sure the song used was switched to the 2nd half of "Layla."

That's right, motherfuckers.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the version of "Eleanor Rigby" that Phanan brought up earlier.

I think we should be proud of ourselves that we had to create a second thread for this.

The Wacko Jacko Memorial thread is still stuck in the 700s.

My Beatles top 15. God, this was hard. In no particular order:

1. Something
2. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
3. Here Comes the Sun
4. Dear Prudence
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. And I Love Her
7. Things We Said Today
8. Ticket to Ride
9. Dig a Pony
10. Strawberry Fields Forever
11. I Saw Her Standing There
12. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
13. Girl
14. A Day in the Life
15. The Ballad of John and Yoko

ohsnap2.gif

Just replying to this after being gone all day.

Do you know what "forced" means? What you wrote above is exactly WHY his vocals sound forced at times. He's trying way too hard to prove something.

That's where we differ on this. I don't think he's trying too hard; I think he's doing it on purpose. When you say forced, you are implying that he went beyond his vocal capabilities, that he's straining to sing a particular line. Perhaps it comes across that way, but I think he wanted to do it like that all along.

I agree, it is an indication of their range, but my problem is that Paul seems to do the same thing, over and over. What if he had a reggae song on each album. Wouldn't that get old quick?

Do you think when George went through his sitar phase that it got old real quick?

Like I said before, if he had done an entire album like that, yeah, it would get annoying. But really, out of all his songs, we're only talking about a select few. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you do.

The other two were A Hard Day's Night and Revolver. It was my first time hearing "Eleanor Rigby" from the remasters since I've largely been picking and choosing what songs to listen to, with the exception of several spins each for The Beatles,Abbey Road, Beatles for Sale, and Pep's.

But wow, it really sounded bad. The panning is almost cartoonish in it. That song has to sound better in mono. The first time Paul says "Eleanor," the first syllable is centered and then the entire thing goes to the right channel. It's FUCKING DIS-TRACT-ING. So what I'm proposing in the next installment of our Beatles discussion is that we try to come to as much of a consensus as we can on which version of which album/tracks is the essential one.

Agreed; I complained about it yesterday. This would definitely be the case where the mono version would be better, but I'll say again, the 1999 remix from the Yellow Submarine songtrack is by far the best version I've heard.

I just read the end of the last thread and the Beatles and emotion and whatnot, and I completely agree with the sentiments. I read through the pitchfork reviews last night and it hit me like a ton of bricks again... I was a late-blooming Bealtes fan. Sure I knew some of the early singles that my parents had on vinyl, but I didn't really know anything past She Loves You, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and Can't Buy Me Love until I was 19. Then I bought everything up and had a huge listening party on my own on headphones and was floored. I felt this incredible sense of nostalgia to a time that is better than now. Then Love came out, and at the end of All You Need is love there's the part where John says "this is Johnny Rhythm saying goodnight to yous all and God bless" and I was floored then, coming to true grips with the fact that there will never be any reunion. And now I'm rambling madly like NSW. And we rarely agree, but the Beatles (and the feelings wrought by the music they created) bring people together.

I was a late comer to the Beatles too, tourist. Not until the last couple of years have I really grown to love them so much more than I did before. In my (apparently) wretched musicology seminar, they were also the band most mentioned by all of us as a favorite artist, which definitely backs up your point about something about the band bringing us all together.

I just read the end of the last thread and the Beatles and emotion and whatnot, and I completely agree with the sentiments. I read through the pitchfork reviews last night and it hit me like a ton of bricks again... I was a late-blooming Bealtes fan. Sure I knew some of the early singles that my parents had on vinyl, but I didn't really know anything past She Loves You, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and Can't Buy Me Love until I was 19. Then I bought everything up and had a huge listening party on my own on headphones and was floored. I felt this incredible sense of nostalgia to a time that is better than now. Then Love came out, and at the end of All You Need is love there's the part where John says "this is Johnny Rhythm saying goodnight to yous all and God bless" and I was floored then, coming to true grips with the fact that there will never be any reunion. And now I'm rambling madly like NSW. And we rarely agree, but the Beatles (and the feelings wrought by the music they created) bring people together.

:hug:

I couldn't even tell you when I heard The Beatles for the first time, but I'm sure my mother had some old 45s. I do remember visiting my uncle and listening to the "Red" and "Blue" compilations and being immediately drawn to the music. In the 80's, I started picking up some of their albums on cassette, and they used to have all different kinds of fucked up compilations; it took the longest time for me to figure out what was an actual album. For example, I had Hey Jude on tape and had no clue it was a damn compilation. And does anyone remember the Rock And Roll Music double set released in the mid-70's? Think of it as a glorified Beatles For Sale. I used to really dig that.

I couldn't even tell you when I heard The Beatles for the first time, but I'm sure my mother had some old 45s. I do remember visiting my uncle and listening to the "Red" and "Blue" compilations and being immediately drawn to the music. In the 80's, I started picking up some of their albums on cassette, and they used to have all different kinds of fucked up compilations; it took the longest time for me to figure out what was an actual album. For example, I had Hey Jude on tape and had no clue it was a damn compilation. And does anyone remember the Rock And Roll Music double set released in the mid-70's? Think of it as a glorified Beatles For Sale. I used to really dig that.

My mom's husband has the Red and Blue compilations too. And, I don't remember the Rock and Roll Music set per say, but I've seen it once or twice used on vinyl around town.

Back
Top Bottom